The Show What You Wrote Page 2

You're probably right. I think that I do well in one of these show's I won't bother with the other. If Newsjack pick me up I'll no doubt be sending in less stuff to this project.

They are two different things. Some people either just don't excel at topical sketches (for whatever reason) so this makes more sense for them. Having both topical and non-topical opportunities is a good thing.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 5 2013, 4:06 PM GMT

They are two different things. Some people either just don't excel at topical sketches (for whatever reason) so this makes more sense for them. Having both topical and non-topical opportunities is a good thing.

Dan

Agreed. :)

I'm very excited to have a crack at both.

Quote: swerytd @ February 5 2013, 4:06 PM GMT

Dan

Agreed. Sketches on topical stories really isnt my thing. I much prefer to go on some strange flight of fancy and see what I can come up with. 50 sketches in 27 days is asking a bit though.

I think I'll aim for 3 strong sketches for each episode. Thats only 15 sketches in 27 days. Easy! Errr

If each of the 100,000 sketches is 3 minutes long then they'll have just over 200 days of material.

They could broadcast the whole lot for 16 hours a day for the entire year and then go back and do it all over again on January 1st.

A bit like they do with The Burkiss Way, then....

You're right. Maybe this is just a way of keeping Radio 4 Extra from going stale :)

On another note, is the name of this thread incorrect? The show is That Show What You Wrote, isn't it?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 5 2013, 5:01 PM GMT

You're right. Maybe this is just a way of keeping Radio 4 Extra from going stale :)

On another note, is the name of this thread incorrect? The show is That Show What You Wrote, isn't it?

Dan

The Show What You Wrote, love.

Hehe. Idiot.

Dan

I think the important thing is to focus on quality over quantity.

After all, you've got a much better chance of getting a credit, if you send in five polished sketches as opposed to fifty half-baked ones.

Hey! They are three-quarter baked!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 5 2013, 5:26 PM GMT

Hehe. Idiot.

Dan

Bit harsh....

:D

:)

Dan

Two great opps for new writers and one of them is finally non-topical, which is great news (and doubly great as doesn't require we to write at weekends when I have the least writing time).

Coinciding with Newsjack is definitely good news for them given the 50 sketch limit

Quote: swerytd @ February 5 2013, 3:31 PM GMT

That's probably not a coincidence; more a 'keeping the numbers down' tactic!

Deadline is 4th March, so you've got 27 days to write 50 sketches. Alongside 12 sketches you can enter for Newsjack in the same period. That's 62 sketches in the next 27 days!

I imagine that's a piece of piss, especially for those of us who are simultaneously trying to write entries for Sitcom Mission and Sitcom Trials (31st March deadline).

So that's 2.3 sketches a day and 0.4 of a sitcom (assuming a single entry in each sitcom opp and no days off). That would be challenging enough without wasting 40 hours a week at work!

Dan

Squeaky bum time.

Though writing is the only thing keeping my head above water right now, I can dig in, hopefully something funny.

I won't be going to the max number of sketches. Only a few per ep, and try to do 2 each Newsjack (for S7 I was so complacent and mostly only did one liners/and finally stuff, etc).

As for Sitcom Mission, It's thankfully pretty much written, just need to edit a bit, give one character more of a voice!

I'd prefer it if it didn't coincide with Newsjack but hey, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

And I guess a lot of us have a store of non-topical sketches we can dust off and polish up.

<-Uses Find and Replace to change 'Boris Johnson' to 'Mr. Darcy' for episode 5 & to change 'Nick Clegg' to 'Zombie Robot' for episode 3->