The Show What You Wrote Page 5

Dan thanks for putting the link up for me and this sounds stupid but I have no idea what all that means.
I only write in word, I'm crap at tech stuff I just write stuff down under names no wonder I get more knock backs than a Jimmy Saville impersonator

Teddy

Click the link, go to File menu (top left of screen) Click that. A menu will drop down. Select 'Download As...' and another menu appears. Pick 'Microsoft Word (.docx)' and it will download a Word file format for you. Then open that in Word and save it as whatever you want (Sketch_template.doc or something).

Dan

I tend to write sketches in word too, I use Celtx for longer things, but in word I just format it myself. Name in capital letters, tab between character name and dialouge and directions in italics

Thanks Dan I did all that but it was a waste of time as I still don't get how it works I must be really thick.
I had to go on line to work out where my Tab key was.
I'll have to stick to my postman Pat approach and hope they can work it out.

Quote: blahblah @ February 28 2013, 3:14 PM GMT

I tend to write sketches in word too, I use Celtx for longer things, but in word I just format it myself. Name in capital letters, tab between character name and dialouge and directions in italics

I think that's ok though isn't it? that's what I do too when submitting anywhere. I think Dan's one is a template to make it easier...but we're ok with formatting ourselves I believe.

Definitely fine to do your own version. I've made my own "template" - a Word doc with name, place for title etc in header and then a couple of lines of correctly formatted character prompts for the opening couple of lines of dialogue plus an F/X line. I then use it as the basis for each radio sketch, i.e. I can "paste" format onto the rest of the sketch

I think it's time to bring out Dan Tetsell's blog on the subject:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/writersroom/posts/newsjack_script_smart_or_smart

Good advice there on how to layout your sketches and how to make sure the producer / script editor is in a happy place when they open your document.

I have to say I have had some decent technical help on this so thanks for the input.

I was just working on some things for TSWYW and had a thought - should we mark a sketch to show that it has ended, by putting 'END' or something similar after the final line? I have never done it before but wondered if I should start.

Quote: Spongebob's Sidekick @ March 6 2013, 9:23 AM GMT

I was just working on some things for TSWYW and had a thought - should we mark a sketch to show that it has ended, by putting 'END' or something similar after the final line? I have never done it before but wondered if I should start.

Not usually.

Still burning the midnight oil, are we? I'm sorry but where's the reward in doing more sketches if you don't know if the ones sent were half suitable?

Conversely, I always put END and always have done. I think this is the convention.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ March 6 2013, 10:19 AM GMT

Conversely, I always put END and always have done. I think this is the convention.

QED...

Quote: swerytd @ March 6 2013, 10:19 AM GMT

Dan

What Dan says.

END

Quote: Tim Azure @ February 26 2013, 5:47 PM GMT

People not knowing what kitchen sink is, for a start.

But at least it leaves one category for the oldies.

I might just do a Sue Perkins and throw the kitchen sink at it.