Gavin & Stacey Page 35

Less a name, more an instruction.

OMG! Seriously this G&S is only worth watching to see how many crap basic jokes u can fit into 30 mins

I really despise having my tv license spent on this moderate level crap

omg!! if you dont like it dont watch it!! I bet you OMG!! watch friends....seriously!!

What are cutting man you are Rockabilly.

What you meant to put in print you taxi driving ( one handed no doubt...) onanist was this ....

''What cutting man you are Rockabilly'' not ''What are...''

you should try typing with both hands, not just the one you dont use
for your self gratification.

If your going to be sarcastic , at least type it properly , you sad f**k!

Whoooaaa, ok, that was a bit uncalled for.

Quote: Rockabilly @ April 24 2008, 8:19 PM BST

It's "you're".

Quote: M Lewis @ April 21 2008, 9:30 AM BST

As an example - at one point someone calls someone and asks "are you at work" to which the response is "you called my work number" - is that supposed to be charming interaction between two people or is it suppose to be funny? I just don't get it (or see what I am suppose to get).

Well, that's not a joke, that's why.

It sounds like one, and it looks like one. But it's not. It doesn't really make sense on any level.

From what I've watched it's one of those shows that thinks that sentimentality and little lines like the above makes a good comedy. It doesn't. Epitomises what's wrong with 21st century comedy. It's the kind of show that thinks it's above anything with laughter track. Crap modern observations, coy little 'realistic' lines, grandiose dialogue packed with mawkishness.

Also, The Office scripts are packed with gags. "I've got my own room. That's seen a lot of action . . . Dusting mainly") It's funny on the page, easily.

G&S, for me, is bloody awful. James Corden is absolutely appalling, and also really annoying. Horne isn't much better.

But then BabyCow haven't produced anything of any worth for years. Barring Saxondale which has it's moments.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 21 2008, 6:55 PM BST

Well thats just a sweeping statement that obviously isnt true; I find the show very funny indeed.

A great end to a great second series I thought, one of the very best comedies of the last couple of years. I really dont get the point of view that there arent any funny bits in it, I just think its not for some people, it doesnt tickle them and thats fine; but I like it and to me it seems chock full of funny delights. Great performances, great characters and consistently funny-good stuff; I hope theres a third series.

Great characters? Where? It's so flat. Having an accent and referencing real life doesn't make good characters. "Oh, look ANOTHER sad bit where they act all awkward and can't look each other in the eye." Christ, it's got 'Look at us, we're funny AND touching' written all over it.

The performances are non-existent and there's not a joke in sight.

Quote: Graham Bandage @ April 21 2008, 10:57 AM BST

I am entirely liking Gavin & Stacey, and I'll tell you for why. The comedy arises naturally for the most part from the characters, and the characters drive the plot rather than the other way round. The characters are people you can imagine actually existing in real life, rather than the grotesques you'd find in Two Pints.

But people in real life aren't funny on screen. I know some very funny people, but who just wouldn't work as TV characters.

Aw man, the double standards are suffocating.

Gavin and Stacey is fairly enjoyable to watch, but it's not a comedy in my opinion, and definately not a sitcom. Actually it's not even the best show Corden and Horne have appeared in together which was Teachers. Now Teachers was a show!

What you meant to put in print you taxi driving ( one handed no doubt...) onanist was this ....

''What a cutting man you are Rockabilly'' not ''What are...''

you should try typing with both hands, not just the one you dont use
for your self gratification.

As I told you on another thread you were trolling, I don't drive a taxi. My forum name is a joke, that you don't get, even after two prompts from me and a virtual explanation from another poster. Even my reply to him was a clue, but education appears to be your achilles heel, doesn't it? It's quite a feat to make a real grammatical mistake in a post picking up on an accidental one. But I'll try to be more circumspect next time I put something 'in print'.

By the way, 'onanist' as a synonym for wanker hasn't made anyone laugh for at least ten years. It dates
you.

Aaargh and you put square brackets in your quote!

I love lines like that!

A lot of Internet arguing could also take place in a real conversation between, say, two work colleagues (albeit a rather heated one)....but then someone throws in a "you sad f**k" and, in my little mind, its been said over the water cooler between these two bickering blokes on their coffee break. Just jars with my mental image so beautifully. Bit like the C word over the poker game in Curb!

OK people, back on topic:

It's interesting to see those that don't like this comedy starting to talk up. It turns out there's quite a few 'haters' out there it'd seem. We'd better be careful James Cordon doesn't read this thread - he doesn't take criticism well from what I've read.

If you don't like Gavin and Stacey check out Gareth McLean's blog. He and Cordon have started a war of words. This is the latest installment: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2008/04/even_if_james_corden_hadnt.html

Gareth McLean has a funny face.

And that whole entry is a blatant "I'M NOT BOTHERED, HONEST!" whilst he secretly wipes away the tears. Look at the photo anyway. Can't decide if he wants to be emo or tramp.

But moving on. Yeah, interesting. I guess now that it's becoming more widely known to be popular and to be successful, those that don't like it are becoming more vocal. Which is always the case really.

P.S. Down with Firefox! Down with Apple!

What? Whaatt?!

Quote: Aaron @ April 25 2008, 12:34 PM BST

Gareth McLean has a funny face.

And that whole entry is a blatant "I'M NOT BOTHERED, HONEST!" whilst he secretly wipes away the tears. Look at the photo anyway. Can't decide if he wants to be emo or tramp.

But moving on. Yeah, interesting. I guess now that it's becoming more widely known to be popular and to be successful, those that don't like it are becoming more vocal. Which is always the case really.

P.S. Down with Firefox! Down with Apple!

What? Whaatt?!

Yeah but things that dominate because they are good srew business etc, hence the responses. G&S is pretty lame

Quote: Seefacts @ April 24 2008, 10:38 PM BST

Well, that's not a joke, that's why.

It sounds like one, and it looks like one. But it's not. It doesn't really make sense on any level.

From what I've watched it's one of those shows that thinks that sentimentality and little lines like the above makes a good comedy. It doesn't. Epitomises what's wrong with 21st century comedy. It's the kind of show that thinks it's above anything with laughter track. Crap modern observations, coy little 'realistic' lines, grandiose dialogue packed with mawkishness.

Also, The Office scripts are packed with gags. "I've got my own room. That's seen a lot of action . . . Dusting mainly") It's funny on the page, easily.

G&S, for me, is bloody awful. James Corden is absolutely appalling, and also really annoying. Horne isn't much better.

But then BabyCow haven't produced anything of any worth for years. Barring Saxondale which has it's moments.

Great characters? Where? It's so flat. Having an accent and referencing real life doesn't make good characters. "Oh, look ANOTHER sad bit where they act all awkward and can't look each other in the eye." Christ, it's got 'Look at us, we're funny AND touching' written all over it.

The performances are non-existent and there's not a joke in sight.

But people in real life aren't funny on screen. I know some very funny people, but who just wouldn't work as TV characters.

I LOVE YOU SEEFACTS!!!!!!!!!!! WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Gavin and Stacey = most boring, cliched, worthless program ever = for old and stupid common people!

James Corden is a fat bloke! Wow! That's brilliant

'oh look a welsh idiot and an essex prat get married and they 'luv each over!'

lets all cry and laugh and throw baftas at them