Gavin & Stacey Page 32

cool!

here's the last one, then, in small size...

and hi-rez:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/2400251155_527177a935_o.jpg

...it's just slightly improved over the last one. I waste bandwidth like this all the time. :)

Surely Gavin and Stacey is only so popular at the moment is due to the fact that there hasn't been a genuinely funny and clever sitcom since 'The thick of it'. The on Gavin and Stacey is solid but I can't think of one aspect of it that is original. Brim is the funniest character but to some extent they have just nicked the idea of Keith Barret and made a few changes.

Brim? Bryn's evil, bizzarro world, twin perhaps?

Not much praise for the second series then?

Yes. It is better than the first.

Yeah, the second series is much funnier I think.

Quote: Aaron @ April 11 2008, 5:20 PM BST

Yes. It is better than the first.

Really? I thought the first two episodes of series 2 were fairly funny. But the last two that I've watched (episodes 5 & 6, I think), barely made me crack a smile.

I think this series has been good, but the last episode was a little bit drama-heavy for me.

I know, the last scene was a bit like Jones and Corden were sitting there, delighted with their last episode, just waiting for the courier to whisk it off to the Beeb, when a horrible thought occurred. I can imagine the scene, and here I am, imagining the scene . . .

CORDEN screams, drops pie. A blood-curdling sound.

JONES: "What is it? Look you! Lush, etc."

CORDEN: "A horrible thought has occurred. We completely forgot to resolve the dangling plot of Gavin and Stacey's separation. You know, the titular characters. Do you want that Kit-Kat?"

JONES: "I won't lie to you. We have. Yes, I do."

CORDEN: "What time's he coming?"

JONES: "Five minutes. What'll we do?"

CORDEN: "Oh, just get them to ring each other. Write their phones in a bit earlier. We'll end it on a bit of a cliff-hanger. Write it. Write it now."

JONES: "You do it, I'm eating this Kit-Kat seductively."

CORDEN, the sweat pouring from his brow: "Phew! Done it."

JONES: "Tidy."

JONES hands script to COURIER in motorcycle helmet.

CORDEN: "Do you think anyone will notice? Do you want that cake?"

JONES: "Yes I do. I won't lie to you. I wants the cake. No, nobody will notice. And I'll tell you for why. It's because everybody will be too busy laughing at Brydon."

CORDEN, reassured, picks up previously-dropped pie, wipes it clean and eats it.

FIN

I think I might be getting the writers mixed up with their characters.

For the last two weeks pulling has been better than Gavin and Stacey by a million miles

Quote: Sebastian Orange-News @ April 14 2008, 11:52 AM BST

For the last two weeks pulling has been better than Gavin and Stacey by a million miles

I agree. And that's really saying something!

Quote: graham @ April 14 2008, 2:27 AM BST

Really? I thought the first two episodes of series 2 were fairly funny. But the last two that I've watched (episodes 5 & 6, I think), barely made me crack a smile.

Well uhh, I've not seen the last two, so will have to get back to you on that one. But yes, from what I have seen, I reckon the humour's still there (if changed a bit), and the story is stronger.

I only saw 80% of the first series and only saw the first of the second....but wife loves it and i saw it get the BAFTA so watched the last one tonight.

I don't get it.....it just didn't seem that funny? Obviously there are funny bits but they are pretty spread out for a sitcom. Far more com/drama but not dramatic enough.

oh, and shoehorning in the Catherine tait "am i bovered" scene was awful. Aside from Bryn and fat woman's scenes i don't think i laughed at all. Good luck to them....but i imagined it as a script and couldn't see how anyone commissioned it as a comedy?

I'm not a big fan of it to be honest, but know a great deal of people who love it. A lot of the humour does just tend to revolve around funny accents. Rob Brydon is quite funny it, but ultimately, all Bryn is, is an easily pleased middle aged man who marvels at everything. There's quite a lot of little things in the show that bug me also. I think Julia Davis is a bit short changed in her appearances, with some very basic writing. Alison Steadman gets on my f**king nut too. I suppose on one hand you could argue its a well written character if she's getting on your nerves as much as she gets on the nerves of the characters around her, but I find her character a bit tedious. Also, the Sheridan Smith character is Lauren the teenager, I agree with those who pointed that out. It just seems a bit padded out for my liking. The relationship between Nessa and Smithy seems the most interesting aspect of it, but I don't really see why Gavin and Stacey deserve so much screen time. There's not much going on with their storyline. They're a couple of young lovers who married too quickly, and are now going through a rocky patch. Bit boring in my opinion, and nothing that really holds my interest. I'm a fan of Ruth Jones though, so I've followed the show when I can, but all in all; can't really see what the fuss is all about.

Hear, hear! I've been thinking (and occasionally saying) the same thing for months now. It's rather indicative, in a way. And, I fear, may very well be keeping our membercount down.

Hello all......first post on here and all that..... I put the above quote in from Aaron cos I was feeling the exact same for the last few weeks reading the "slatings" and petty arguments this great show has evoked. I'm all for debate and realise comedy is one area of life with HUGE differences of opinion but here's my two penneth on Gavin and Stacey for what its worth.....

G and S has me intrigued. I have loved this programme since episode one and have been waiting for the "backlash" for sometime! And after tonights Bafta success that backlash of seething jealousy will be on in earnest no doubt.

I first started watching it cos I saw Corden plugging it on some other tv show and thought I would give it a go and from the very first episode I was hooked and eagerly recommended it to family and friends alike who without exception all said thanks for pointing them towards the show. The interesting thing here being the fact that no matter who it was I recommended it to - be it my mum in her mid fifties, my best mate a 32 yr old bloke or my younger sister in her late teens they ALL loved it! If that doesn't say something for it as a sitcom I don't know what does!

The key point here being that whilst I love the Smiffy character and his oafish laddish charm, and my Mum loves Bryn and Staceys mum, as well as the whole tone of the show which is totally feel good and my sister enjoys the whole G and S romance cos it isn't forced upon you like some shows do - it kinda feels real. So there's clearly something in it for lots of different demographics. This is not to say they don't enjoy the show as a whole just making the point that because of the great set of characters and the ludicrously realistic acting in the show most people I know who like the show have a "favourite" character which is a helpful tool in creating popularity imo.

I went from loving Smiffy and his stupid Gavlar and Pamalarr stuff and his general interaction with Steadman to quickly thinking by the end of the first series "christ this show is making me feel wierd! It's a comedy and I actually "care" about the characters and what happens to them". Much as I love The Office, Partridge or Curb I couldn't honestly say I gave two hoots about what happened each week - I was simply waiting for Gervais, Coogan or David to make me PMSL by being their usual ignorant/arrogant selves.

I have seen lots of criticism form people saying "so why's it called Gavin and Stacey then when they are not funny and hardly in it sometimes?" Grr who friggin cares what its called! Talk about clutching at straws! The whole premise of both series is the two sets of family and friends interacting who have ALL been brought together by G and S - and I for one LOVE the relationship between G and S. Corden and Jones have the tone of it spot on - not too gushy, not too forced - just a simple love story between two young people who met and fell in love - whilst they have few funny moments this is no problem at all IMO cos they are the catalysts for all the other comedy with Ness, Smiffy, Bryn, Mick and Pamela - who are all excellent in my opinion.

Another well documented reason why it has become so popular is because there is a distinct lack of "malice" in the series and that is soooo refreshing to see. Ok so a character like Bryn is not maybe the most original creation in the world and he has become such a fav with lots of people no doubt because of Brydon but does anyone else notice that the other charatcers in the show laugh "with" him and not "at" him? Humiliation as a comedy tool becomes a little tiresome imo.

The scene with Smiffy's sister and the whole "robot" thing (I fookin' loved it :)) has been roundly criticised by forumites as being too Catherine Tate/Little Britain but I simply cannot have this!! I was pmsl at their brother/sister fight as it was like watching a home video of me and my sister fighting from years ago - yet again just another brilliantly observed piece of acting/writing.

I've also seen crticism from people saying that the show has become too "drama" heavy in the last couple of episodes. Again I have to strongly disagree -i think the balance throughout both series has been absolutely spot on - christ surely you are allowed 5 or 10 minutes of serious stuff every few episodes to help take the story along and make you care just that little bit more about the characters in general. If iwant to watch a sitcom with characters I don't care about in the least i'll watch Friends or Two Pints. what some people do not seem to be able to get their heads around is that it is precisely these titbits of real drama that have thrust the show to the forefront of the publics affections - whilst Friends was ludicrously popular with women in particular even the most ardent of fans would be hard pressed to say they were "gutted" at missing an episode because deep down they knew nothing much would happen in the overall story and if they were honest would admit that they didn't really care what happened to the characters cos it was so obviously a make believe world. (Dunno why I keep using Friends as a barometer! think the writing on it was first class btw just too tired to trawl through my memory banks of comedy at the moment.)

My real fear for the show is Corden himself - he seems to polarise opinion. Some people love his cheekiness and others seem to despise him - even tonight on Digital Spy I have seen him described as slimy, obnoxious and boastful! Well my opinion on him for what it's worth is that he's simply quite young and says the wrong thing in interviews sometimes which people then jump on and accuse him of all sorts - really think he's a decent guy with a decent heart - oh yeah and a talent at writing and acting. It's gonna be a similar situation to Gervais I fear with 50% of people jut willing him to f**k up and then droning on about it for eternity - sad but true.

Oh well I could drone on myself about this for a bit more but dont want to blot my copybook first post and all that.

P.S. At the risk of doing just that I have to say to GODOTS ...seriously mate what planet are you on? I am literally scratching my head reading some of your criticisms of the script - are you watching it with the mute button on or something?