Gavin & Stacey

This looks interesting.

I'll make a point of watching it as Alison Steadman is always class. Isn't she the mother in law of "H'ard" in Worst Week of my Life?

Rob Brydon is on Jonathan Ross on Radio 2 this morning - probably talking about it.

I'm not too keen, I heard it's not too far from Two Pints.

It's always worth a shot... and yes, Alison Steadman is very good in everything she does.

Quote: David Chapman @ May 12, 2007, 10:12 AM

This looks interesting.

I'll make a point of watching it as Alison Steadman is always class. Isn't she the mother in law of "H'ard" in Worst Week of my Life?

Rob Brydon is on Jonathan Ross on Radio 2 this morning - probably talking about it.

Yes she is, and is he in it? I don't think I've spotted him on the adverts.

Quote: Leevil @ May 12, 2007, 10:17 AM

I'm not too keen, I heard it's not too far from Two Pints.

It's so much better than 2 Pints, it's not even on the same level.

But i watched episode 1 online and thought it was great. Ruth Jones plays her chaacter really well and Alison Steadman and her husband are great to watch.

It's not laugh a minute but it's got enough jokes to keep you wanting me. Also watch out for the "powdering your nose" joke.

Rob Brydon is in it, only for like 2 scenes on the 1st episode.

Just watched the clips on the BBC Three website, didn't notice one joke in any of them. I can't tell it apart from any other recent British sitcom that's been on BBC Three (except Ideal).

Quote: Aaron @ May 12, 2007, 10:55 AM

Yes she is, and is he in it? I don't think I've spotted him on the adverts.

Yes Rob Brydon is in it. You should check out the website guide :P https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/gavin_stacey/

Quote: Martin Holmes @ May 12, 2007, 12:23 PM

Just watched the clips on the BBC Three website, didn't notice one joke in any of them. I can't tell it apart from any other recent British sitcom that's been on BBC Three (except Ideal).

Not sure if you realise Martin but the first two episodes are online. Its not an 'in your face' sitcom, more one which looks to generate laughs via more subtle methods. It's a 1,000,000 times better than Two Pints IMHO, but then again seeing as I have a un-explainable hatred of that pikey 'comedy' don't read too much into that figure.

Yeah BBC Three videos never seem to work properly for me, it maybe because they play in Real Player, but whatever it is I can't get them to work properly.

But judging from the clips it looks bad, it's not exactly subtle is it "Your Uncle's coming around with the rape alarm, he couldn't find pepper spray, so you'll have to make do with the alarm", ooh they mentioned 'rape' and they mentioned 'peadophile' before that..how daring and imaginative. I will watch the first two episodes tommorow and give them a proper chance, but from what I've seen so far its more of the same old stuff.

And as much as I don't like Two Pints at least it has the occasional joke or an attempt at one, rather than just using 'uncomfortable awkward humour'. And the first episode ever of Two Pints was really good, it went down hill after that.

Quote: Mark @ May 12, 2007, 7:07 PM

Yes Rob Brydon is in it. You should check out the website guide :P https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/gavin_stacey/

You should know by now that I'm unashamedly lazy.

Just watched it, only good bits were Rob Brydon and Don't look back into the sun.

Just watched the 1st episode on-line...meh.

Saw the writer on Soccer AM - yet another case of the old boy network. Another nail in the new writers' coffin.

Two known actors put in a brief 'idea' for a one-off about a 'wedding where nothing much happens' and the beeb tells them to write a series. Never written anything before this, never wrote a redraft, wrote 6 episodes in 3 months, so therefore thumbs up from the Beeb.
:O

Can any of us here imagine sending in one paragraph about 'a wedding where nothing much happens' and getting a reply to expand it into a whole series?

Please shoot me.

Bang.

Right - well it seems from everything on this site that BBC is a total waste of our time.

Have to say, it wasn't 'laugh a minute', but I really enjoyed it. Will definitely be watching the rest.

Quote: SlagA @ May 13, 2007, 9:24 PM

Two known actors put in a brief 'idea' for a one-off about a 'wedding where nothing much happens' and the beeb tells them to write a series. Never written anything before this, never wrote a redraft, wrote 6 episodes in 3 months, so therefore thumbs up from the Beeb.

Just seen the two episodes. Liked it a lot.
Got to hand it to the BBC that they recognised from a 'brief idea' that something as good as this would be forthcoming. The BabyCow mafia helps, of course.