Gavin & Stacey Page 6

Yeah but he said previously that they put their dicks in the melons right...funny.

Then we see Nancy taking out the melon with a hole in it...really funny.

Jez then saying "Don't eat that, it's bad melon"...just seemed like a "Hey just incase you forgot about the dick in the melon part and missed the visual gag...let me spell it out for you, she's about to eat the same melon".

Still the rest of the show was fantastic.

Look - although I meant to do so I missed Gavin & Stacey

Comedy doesn't need jokes (with punch lines)- it just needs to make people laugh.

That's the point! The bedsheets line isn't meant to be a "joke" it's something the character would say. It's something that someone like that character does say, it's the type of lame joke my dad would say. I just can't find anything wrong with the series yet. Jam and Jerusalem got good viewing figures i think, but the bbc recommissioned this before it ever aired. I just think it's so fresh. I can't see how it's lazy at all. Great actors, shot brilliantly, great soundtrack. I mean if it's not your thing godot that's fine but i can't see what there is to criticise.

Josh, I've only been criticising the script.

There isn't a problem with the acting or the direction or the production values. It's just poorly written. In fact, after watching the first two episodes again on BBC3 tonight I realised that I cut this programme too much slack.

It's actually awfully written.

Weren't you embarrassed by the ending to episode two? The scene where the guard objected to the couple kissing over the barriers? The appearance of an armed response unit because Gavin jumped the barriers! If you think this is even on the outskirts of possible, you don't live in London.

Also, did you see that in episode one Gav got a black cab from Picadilly Circus back to Essex!

You won't get a central London black cab to go as far South as the Elephant and Castle, let alone Billericay, which must be forty miles away. The fare would have been about £200.

It would have been more realistic to have Gavin teleport to Billericay.

But that's the point! He paid a fortune for the cab cos he just had to get there to see her. Also regarding the armed response unit, he was holding a bag and jumped the barrier. Didn't someone get shot last year like 11 times by an armed response unit for pretty much the same thing?! What about the stuff in the quiz, i thought it was fantastic. I think the form of the script is unique, and i feel it's really rare to have a sit-com with such strong seriel elements and i think it's this that makes it so good.

Josh, since you've just joined and you'll seem to go to any lengths to cover the arse of this show I'm guessing you're involved in the production, right?

Paying £200 for the cab is not the point, yes that would work well to show how smitten he was, but first he has to get £200. Most people of his age couldn't afford it. But you're forgetting the first point. The cab wouldn't go to Billericay in the first place. Even if you offered him £200. There's no fare back from Essex and what if you couldn't pay him? A London cab can make £200 in two hours without even trying.

No-one got shot for jumping barriers – it's a shame that you still believe that. It was the undercover police unit that was observed jumping the barriers, the poor bastard they shot bought a ticket. He was an electrician on his way to work. MI5 had also been watching him all day covertly. Now, Gavin – were they watching him? He was carrying a ring box, not a f*cking missile. Jumping the barriers will get you a long-distance bollocking from BR staff. If there is anyone on the platform they ask to see your ticket. It happens quite often at the weekend. I've never seen anyone pull an M16.

The armed response unit scene could still have been done credibly, it just needed better writing.

The only good writing I've seen so far is the route-planning scen with Rob Bryden and Matt horne. That was well done and worthy of inclusion in any script.

The joke with the bedsheets/knickers wasn't meant to be lame by the way as indicated by the fact that Gavin laughed.

Stop making excuses for this show.

Err, no, cos we happen to like it. You dont, so dont take it so personally that those who do would like to defend it a little. If you dislike it so much, dont watch it again and dont post about it again; we all get the message-you hate it!!! I dont, I found it funny and am not really bothered if a man taking such a long taxi drive is realistic or not, who really cares?!? So, in short, if you dont like it, thats fine, just stop trying to belittle those that enjoyed the opening two episodes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 20, 2007, 1:55 PM

Err, no, cos we happen to like it. You dont, so dont take it so personally that those who do would like to defend it a little. If you dislike it so much, dont watch it again and dont post about it again; we all get the message-you hate it!!! I dont, I found it funny and am not really bothered if a man taking such a long taxi drive is realistic or not, who really cares?!? So, in short, if you dont like it, thats fine, just stop trying to belittle those that enjoyed the opening two episodes.

The first thing editors and script readers challenge you on when you submit a script is the realism of the story. If you're not a writer, you may not know that. Just the scene with the cab is enough to get a script thrown back. So lack of realism is a VERY sore point with writers.

I don't watch G & S for enjoyment, I watch it because I want to be involved with the production of TV comedy. You appear to watch it for entertainment. Since you have nothing to say about it other than you liked it, it would seem more appropriate if you, rather than I, did not post again.

Wow, your a really nice, reasonable fellow now arent you!! As it happens, I am a comedy writer whos had plenty of work performed on stage, and even on radio four (to blow my own trumpet a little)
The very fact that the cab scene appears in the finished episode obviously negates the point you make about how it would immediately be thrown out by a script editor, doesnt it?

I liked the the two episodes ive seen so far because they were warm, well written (in my opinion), expertly performed by a truly great cast and, again in my opinion, really pretty funny.

Now how about not being so nasty in the future, just because others hold a differing view to that of your own? Comedy is, after all, that most subjective of mediums, your opinion is just that, your own, it doesnt mean it must be true for everyone. Voice it, but perhaps dont deride others so heavilly for theirs; this should be a place for healthy discussion, not arguments, we like to leave that to other, lesser forums.

I've not criticised anybody personally for liking this show, although you've accused me of it twice. You actually told me to 'stop trying to belittle those that enjoyed the opening two episodes'.

I've made no personal remarks at all, only slammed the script.

So perhaps you shouldn't have been offend at all by my last post, which only reversed your suggestion that I shouldn't post again.

You've worked in the industry, you know how G & S was made. The writers are friends of Cougan and Normal, the script is developed by Baby Cow and pitched to the BBC. The script wouldn't make the sift in the writers room.

I'm not making excuses for the show as don't think it needs excusing. Y'no, there's loads of stuff i don't believe in fawlty towers, seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm but i, as a viewer agree to let them go, because although set in the world we live in these shows will always have artistic license. I don't work on Gavin and Stacey, my friend was the 3rd A.D so i took an interest and got caught up in this message board. Your anger doesn't seem to be towards the show, but towards the fact that you don't have show on television. The Times today says,"This should already be pencilled for the Bafta shortlist next year!" The mail has given it 5 stars and the telegraph says it's writing is sublime and terrific. It's fine that you don't like it but i think that you're in the minority.

Well, I disagree Godot, and thats about as far as I think Im going to go with this, I think perhaps Ill do something else for the rest of the day other than argue with someone I dont know about, really, nothing. So. Yep. Whatever. And I hope you enjoy sitting through the rest of the series, gritting your teeth in pain!!

Also, when the writer was on soccer am he said they took it to the bbc3 and they said write it and THEN they went to baby cow productions. So it DID make the sift in the writers room. And then some!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 20, 2007, 3:35 PM

Well, I disagree Godot, and thats about as far as I think Im going to go with this, I think perhaps Ill do something else for the rest of the day other than argue with someone I dont know about, really, nothing. So. Yep. Whatever. And I hope you enjoy sitting through the rest of the series, gritting your teeth in pain!!

Call me names and run away then.

Quote: Josh Dulaney @ May 20, 2007, 3:40 PM

Also, when the writer was on soccer am he said they took it to the bbc3 and they said write it and THEN they went to baby cow productions. So it DID make the sift in the writers room. And then some!

I once read an interview in the radio Times with a well-known writer who claimed he began a script (a dramatisation of that person's life) because he lived near the person and understood his problems having read about them in the newspaper. The asst. producer of the show told me they'd actually commissioned him to write the script. He knew nothing about the guy.

That script never saw the sift, my friend.

Ok then, one last time! God Im a sucker for this kind of crap . . .
Im not running away Godot, firstly, because Im in my own house, so Id have to exit swiftly and race off down the street, which would be stupid, secondly, I just dont want to sit here all day trading verbal blows with a stranger about something that I really dont have a vested interest in, or even all that much of a passionate interest! I was just disagreeing with you for gods sake!! Ok, I apologise, I know it wasnt fair of me to have an opposing view, and from now on if you type anything I disagree with, or I think is being overly combatitive to other posters for no real reason, Ill just sit with my head in the dirty washing basket for an hour or two so the temptation to reply fades; then award myself with some chocolate. Mmm, chocolate . . .

Now I really am going to leave it there, I promise! I have a life! I have things I want to do! There are flowers to smell and pretty girls to kiss! I wont let you drag me back in here, you hear me Godot!!!!!!!!!