Gavin & Stacey Page 7

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 20, 2007, 3:58 PM

Ok then, one last time! God Im a sucker for this kind of crap . . .
Im not running away Godot, firstly, because Im in my own house, so Id have to exit swiftly and race off down the street, which would be stupid, secondly, I just dont want to sit here all day trading verbal blows with a stranger about something that I really dont have a vested interest in, or even all that much of a passionate interest! I was just disagreeing with you for gods sake!! Ok, I apologise, I know it wasnt fair of me to have an opposing view, and from now on if you type anything I disagree with, or I think is being overly combatitive to other posters for no real reason, Ill just sit with my head in the dirty washing basket for an hour or two so the temptation to reply fades; then award myself with some chocolate. Mmm, chocolate . . .

Now I really am going to leave it there, I promise! I have a life! I have things I want to do! There are flowers to smell and pretty girls to kiss! I wont let you drag me back in here, you hear me Godot!!!!!!!!!

Now that's more like it! :D

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 20, 2007, 2:16 AM

The scene where the guard objected to the couple kissing over the barriers? The appearance of an armed response unit because Gavin jumped the barriers! If you think this is even on the outskirts of possible, you don't live in London.

I live in London, and although yes, very unlikely, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 20, 2007, 2:16 AM

Also, did you see that in episode one Gav got a black cab from Picadilly Circus back to Essex!

You won't get a central London black cab to go as far South as the Elephant and Castle, let alone Billericay, which must be forty miles away. The fare would have been about £200.

It would have been more realistic to have Gavin teleport to Billericay.

I too raised an eyebrow at the cab all the way back home. A tad 'out there'. (Actually, are we sure it was meant to be the same cab?) However, your insinuation that cabs won't go that far out is quite frankly bollocks. I don't think for a moment that ALL drivers would go quite that distance, but having seen London-registered black cabs - with passengers - as far out as Reading in the past, I can more than believe it. Besides, outside the M25 they're (supposedly) unrestricted on what they can charge, so it's fairly easy money.

Aside from that, calm down everyone, please!

I used to be a referee. Shall I jump in and sort things out? Typically late of course.

This point about "Realism" - we're talking about comedy. In lots of sitcoms that's the whole point. It's NOT real.

F**king hell. This sitcom really get the emotions stirring. They should put this on the poster.

I thought the programme was so average enough not to even comment on.

Quote: Josh Dulaney @ May 20, 2007, 3:32 PM

The Times today says,"This should already be pencilled for the Bafta shortlist next year!" The mail has given it 5 stars and the telegraph says it's writing is sublime and terrific. It's fine that you don't like it but i think that you're in the minority.

That really doesn't mean the show is any better. It's Paper talk and also just because something is popular doesn't mean its good...Little Britain, Catherine Tate etc.

It's just that the majority of the public are fools, who like shit music, shit films and shit comedy. That's a smug view to take maybe..but it's true.

Just started watching Episode 3, it is incredibly average as Leevil says, shot nicely, acting is alright, but it's more of a drama, there was hardly anything to laugh about in the first few minutes of it, just one dragged out joke about her having been engaged 5 times before. And stuff like "He was a prick" and "A lovely man......Ahmed". 5 star comedy eh guys? :P

Another good episode I thought, very enjoyable.

Quote: Leevil @ May 18, 2007, 8:05 PM

I don't think a good comedy has to contain a lot of jokes or been defined by how good it is by the jokes. To me a well written comedy is something with good character development, making you care about the characters and believe anything they say.

Jokes and Situations are important to make it recognisable as a comedy, but joke and situations can happen to anyone.

Sorry if this is out of sync as I just catching up on some old posts but just would like to agree with Leevil on this point.

But they are critics from well respected newspapers. It's not the publics opinion, it's that of the sunday times critic. The show isn't popular yet. I have no doubt it will be. I think the pace of it is somethin g to really credits the writers for. I personally can't think of a better new comedy that's come out in the last 6 months.

Hopefully it'll get pushed onto BBC2 soon. Put aside Pulling would be good.

Quote: Josh Dulaney @ May 20, 2007, 11:17 PM

But they are critics from well respected newspapers. It's not the publics opinion, it's that of the sunday times critic. The show isn't popular yet.

Surely the public's opinion should be more important. Not some poncey critic from a pretentious paper.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ May 20, 2007, 9:49 PM

Sorry if this is out of sync as I just catching up on some old posts but just would like to agree with Leevil on this point.

Thanks.

What about me? I put my cock on the block criticising this!

Arrgh! Someone's just pushed shit through my letterbox!

Quote: Martin Holmes @ May 20, 2007, 8:13 PM

It's just that the majority of the public are fools, who like shit music, shit films and shit comedy. That's a smug view to take maybe..but it's true.

I'm certainly looking forward to the snippets of your sitcom that you are soon to post in the Critique Forum, Martin.

Well, I quite liked the first couple of episodes. Thought it was really good. Admittedly, I am very forgiving of comedy since I started writing.

Must say this thread has been almost as entertaining also. How about a sitcom about people who disagree vehemently over an item on a messageboard and eventually get it together after trying to track each other down to claim retribution...

Everyone knows everyone in the industry -- it really is a different world if you're not in there -- and it will probably always be that way. You need to get to know people to get your stuff *read*, let alone commissioned.

For example, John Sullivan should have carte blanche really and he's writing The Green, Green Grass. Now I quite like it and certainly don't think it's as bad as other people on here. I still get the feeling he's writing it cos the Beeb want a Fools and Horses spin-off rather than cos he wants to.

Maybe I'm not being fair on him.

Dan

Quote: JohnnyD @ May 21, 2007, 8:13 AM

I'm certainly looking forward to the snippets of your sitcom that you are soon to post in the Critique Forum, Martin.

Laughing out loud Yeah that's going to be good to see the feedback on here now, I'm sure people will now be intending to judge it just as harshly as I've been judging Gavin & Stacey and Roman's Empire, which is fair as that what I've been doing. Just remember mine isn't on TV though.

But yeah, my comments aren't said in hate of other people on here so don't take stuff the wrong way, they're in hate of the comedy I'm discussing. Because I'm so passionate about comedy and know how bloody great British comedy has been in the past, how fantastic comedy can be on a whole, I just find it a great shame that shows like G&S and RE get not only commissioned but praised just because the standards of British comedy have dropped so low with in the last few years that it becomes a valid argument just to say "Well it's better than any other comedy so far this year", that doesn't make it good.

A new comedy will come along soon hopefully that will really be fantastic and if it is, you will see me be the first to praise it. I don't just hate every new comedy, I just have extremely high comedy standards and expect so much, maybe too much of new comedy.

Another point, is G&S actually a sitcom? Or is it meant to be a comedy drama? Cos the last 5 minutes of last nights show was just a big argument between everyone with no real jokes, apart from calling a Welsh person a "sheep shagger" (how very original) but yeah it seemed more like a comedy drama to me.