Gavin & Stacey Page 37

Quote: Seefacts @ April 24 2008, 10:38 PM BST

Great characters? Where? It's so flat. Having an accent and referencing real life doesn't make good characters. "Oh, look ANOTHER sad bit where they act all awkward and can't look each other in the eye." Christ, it's got 'Look at us, we're funny AND touching' written all over it.

The performances are non-existent and there's not a joke in sight.

Yes Seefacts, great characters. Smithy, Brynn and Gavins Mom, are, in my eyes, fantastic characters. How you can say its flat is beyond me, but there we go. As for saying the performances are none existent-are we watching the same show?! Ive no idea why people on here get so worked up about this show if they dont like it, it seems most bizarre to me. And yes, to some of us the show is both funny and touching. Not to you, but not everything is to everyones taste.
It sort of depresses me that so many people on this site hate the show to such an extent; why is the quality and charm of this show passing them by?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2008, 5:53 PM BST

Yes Seefacts, great characters. Smithy, Brynn and Gavins Mom, are, in my eyes, fantastic characters. How you can say its flat is beyond me, but there we go. As for saying the performances are none existent-are we watching the same show?! Ive no idea why people on here get so worked up about this show if they dont like it, it seems most bizarre to me. And yes, to some of us the show is both funny and touching. Not to you, but not everything is to everyones taste.
It sort of depresses me that so many people on this site hate the show to such an extent; why is the quality and charm of this show passing them by?

That's the problem - the 'charm' of the show is so self-knowing.

The way it's put forward as gentle and nice is so cloying. It papers over the fact it has no jokes.

Of course, a show like 2 Pints is far shitter and more infuriating. But everyone knows that, so that's fine. It has no pretensions.

James Corden's ungracious behaviour hasn't helped this show's cause, either.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 25 2008, 5:56 PM BST

That's the problem - the 'charm' of the show is so self-knowing.

The way it's put forward as gentle and nice is so cloying. It papers over the fact it has no jokes.

Well thats where well just have to differ; I dont find it in the least cloying. And it may not have many jokes in the traditional feed and punchline tradition, but it still makes me laugh a lot, so I suppose it must still be funny. If the show didnt make a large amount of people laugh it wouldnt have been so lauded, I would have thought, so it must be doing something right. The shows just not for you, just because it doesnt make you laugh does not mean it doesnt have its merits and an audience or that it just plain isnt funny. Its that thorny issue of taste again, G and S just isnt to yours.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 25 2008, 6:04 PM BST

Well thats where well just have to differ; I dont find it in the least cloying. And it may not have many jokes in the traditional feed and punchline tradition, but it still makes me laugh a lot, so I suppose it must still be funny. If the show didnt make a large amount of people laugh it wouldnt have been so lauded, I would have thought, so it must be doing something right. The shows just not for you, just because it doesnt make you laugh does not mean it doesnt have its merits and an audience or that it just plain isnt funny. Its that thorny issue of taste again, G and S just isnt to yours.

I will point out though that I do like shows that aren't feedline-punchline types.

The Office (though it did have some trad gags)
Royle Family (untouchable in it's field)
Curb.
15 Stories High.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 25 2008, 6:06 PM BST

I will point out though that I do like shows that aren't feedline-punchline types.

The Office (though it did have some trad gags)
Royle Family (untouchable in it's field)
Curb.
15 Stories High.

Im not questioning whether you only like the traditional style of sit-com, just saying that the laughs are there if youre tuned into it; it obviously doesnt tickle you for whatever reason, we cant all like everything!

As a for instance, in one episode Brynn tells Smithy that he cant stay in his spare room as hes turned it into a high performance Gym. Now thats not a joke, but it made me laugh out loud. With these kinds of shows theres always the danger that for everyone whos laughing like a loon, there will be plenty more shrugging their shoulders and unable to see whats supposed to be funny. If there are clear jokes then at least you can see what was supposed to be funny, even if you dont find it so; with this kind of show any attempts at humour can pass you by all together and leave you asking 'where are the funny bits?'.

I remain convinced that there are two, very different, 'writer's voices' going on in G&S. There are some moments, some dialogue that is genuinely very effective...but then you get the moments like when smithy's sister did the whole littlebritain/cath tate thing - i can't believe they thought that was a) funny b) not criminally derivative. i find the tone of the show very uneven.

Quote: Seefacts @ April 25 2008, 6:06 PM BST

15 Stories High.

Storeys* (Yeah, I know, it's at odds with the norm.)

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 25 2008, 6:41 PM BST

smithy's sister did the whole littlebritain/cath tate thing

Still can't see where that comparison is coming from.

And please use capital letters in your posts.

Quote: manchester's trendy chorlton @ April 25 2008, 6:41 PM BST

I remain convinced that there are two, very different, 'writer's voices' going on in G&S. There are some moments, some dialogue that is genuinely very effective...but then you get the moments like when smithy's sister did the whole little britain/cath tate thing - i can't believe they thought that was a) funny b) not criminally derivative. i find the tone of the show very uneven.

This is a very good point! Either bits of the scripts are written on off-days, or one of the writers is not pulling their - no pun intended - weight.

Quote: M Lewis @ April 25 2008, 5:07 PM BST

i've done the same today and really liked what i saw! Very different to the episode i watched on TV.

either the episode was a bad one or the show is best viewed as 2 min highlights on youtube!

Oh well excuuse me! Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms/Master/ ' I-don't-care-for- G&S-but-god-twat-the-person-who has-the-audacity-to-like-it', Sneering. Live with the fact that some of us like it and some of you don't. No need to get high and mighty.

Sake.

Konichiwa.

Quote: zooo @ April 26 2008, 12:30 AM BST

Konichiwa.

Um yes.

Kung Hei Fat Choi.

Quote: Aaron @ April 26 2008, 12:32 AM BST

Kung Hei Fat Choi.

That too.

Quote: zooo @ April 26 2008, 12:30 AM BST

Konichiwa.

Ha I have just done a google on 'konichiwa':

I was fine until I was mildly bitch slapped upthread. :D

Quote: M Lewis @ April 25 2008, 5:07 PM BST

i've done the same today and really liked what i saw! Very different to the episode i watched on TV.

either the episode was a bad one or the show is best viewed as 2 min highlights on youtube!

Hmm upon reflection it seems that I may have been a bit hasty with my initial response, and that YOUR reply to me was sincere (it was, wasn't it?). Therefore I do not apologise but acknowledge that you were being sincere.

After all you are a bit of a Frazier Crane when it comes to comedy, no?

Whistling nnocently

apology expected ;)