Gavin & Stacey Page 39

I didn't say I didn't enjoy G&S, did I?

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 24 2008, 2:47 PM BST

I didn't say I didn't enjoy G&S, did I?

Um, you said something about some of the writing being lazy, it being predictable, characters not used to their potential; not exactly a ringing endorsement? I think anyone reading your review would imagine you werent that impressed with it.

Actually I enjoy it, but it's not a sitcom, that was my point. Just because something's far from perfect doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. What I enjoy most are some of the performances, which bring it up a level or three. Not all of us have to love something unconditionally.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 24 2008, 2:54 PM BST

Not all of us have to love something unconditionally.

Agreed, but there was still more negatives than positives in your review, so what else would people think? The last thing this bloody site needs is more G & S slagging! :D

Don't think I was. Sorry if you disagree. It might be that TV comedy is generally in pretty parlous state that G&S seems like a work of genius to some. It isn't, but it's an enjoyable, fun show which deserves its audience.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 24 2008, 2:50 PM BST

Um, you said something about some of the writing being lazy, it being predictable, characters not used to their potential; not exactly a ringing endorsement?

Most of my favourite shows could get those points made about them, even by me. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 24 2008, 3:01 PM BST

Don't think I was. Sorry if you disagree. It might be that TV comedy is generally in pretty parlous state that G&S seems like a work of genius to some. It isn't, but it's an enjoyable, fun show which deserves its audience.

The test of it's quality, judging by todays benchmarks, will be how many times it is being shown in 10 years time on UKUSTVGoldfish - I suspect it will have been forgotten.

Quote: Mark @ April 25 2008, 12:24 PM BST

We'd better be careful James Cordon doesn't read this thread - he doesn't take criticism well from what I've read.

Has anyone suggested he may be in the wrong business to have that attitude?

Quote: SlagA @ June 20 2008, 6:01 PM BST

Has anyone suggested he may be in the wrong business to have that attitude?

Yes, I thought fat people were supposed to be jolly.

"Stacey" whatever her name is was on Loose Women today.

She said there are no plans for a third series but they're working on a Christmas special.

Quote: David Chapman @ July 28 2008, 10:36 PM BST

She said there are no plans for a third series but they're working on a Christmas special.

Yeah, well it's never felt like a show that was designed to run forever. There's only so many times G&S can row and then she pisses-off back to Barry.

Quote: David Chapman @ July 28 2008, 10:36 PM BST

She is just so flipping nice, isn't she.

I think they could squeeze another series out of it.
They could all four live together in a flat share in London. Or Wales, I suppose... nah, London.

I think ending it with a one-off special is perfect for the sitcom. At the end of the day its not supposed to be a long-runner as so much changes from one episode to the next.

Unlike sitcoms like Seinfeld that reset everyone at the start of the next episode.

Aren't Corden and Horny working on a sketch show together now or something?

Yeah, under the title "Horne & Corden Have Come."