Gavin & Stacey Page 30

Quote: Aaron @ April 2 2008, 8:19 PM BST

Indeed Amy, it is terribly tiresome. But, much to my displeasure, the majority of our members and posters are bitter, failed wannabe writers themselves, so take a negative view of everything on British television, their opinions poisoned with jealousy.

Anyway, welcome to the site. :)

Wave Hello and thankyou

Yes I guessed so! Perhaps they should put a bit of time and effort into improving their own writing then, rather than constantly criticising everybody elses :P

Indeed. I've tried telling them many a-time, but alas, they refuse to take note!

Quote: Aaron @ April 2 2008, 8:22 PM BST

Charley, had any corn on the cob recently?

Nah! :(

I am about to go rding a saddleles bike in a minute. I am a gagging for a bit o corn o the cob.

Got the first four episodes on tape,(missed them 'cos ive been away) and Ive just watched the first two-absolutely brilliant. The first epsidoe especially was, I thought, astoundingly good. Great, great characters, cracking script, and very funny indeed-on with the next two epsiodes then! Oh, and i cant be arsed slogging through this thread, but are there still a load of people slagging this show off? Fools. Its tidy.

Quote: xAmyx @ April 2 2008, 8:27 PM BST

Wave Hello and thankyou

Yes I guessed so! Perhaps they should put a bit of time and effort into improving their own writing then, rather than constantly criticising everybody elses :P

Somehow I manage to do both.

Quote: Charley @ April 2 2008, 8:40 PM BST

Nah! :(

I am about to go rding a saddleles bike in a minute.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 5 2008, 2:40 PM BST

are there still a load of people slagging this show off? Fools. Its tidy.

My flat's tidy. It's not funny either.

I'm with Matthew on this and there's too much to read back through to see what the general consensus is on this.

I think the show is excellent and one of the best modern sitcoms by a long chalk.

There's lovely isn't wasn't it doesn't it? Look you all!

Quote: Blenkinsop @ April 5 2008, 3:08 PM BST

There's lovely isn't wasn't it doesn't it? Look you all!

Laughing out loud

I may be wrong, and Im reading a lot between the lines here, but I dont think Godot likes this show. And it seems to annoy him for some reason. We cant all like everything.

Sarcasm isn't humour, it's cowardly invective.

It's true, Matt. I dislike many shows - many that you love, including Torchwank, but we both like LOG, I think. Although it's influenced you a tad more than me.

Do you like the Mighty Boosh?
I'm sure there's a show I thought you'd hate but you love...

Oh yeah, we both like the Boosh. Although i'm not sure Matt likes it as much as i do.

Why did you think I'd hate it Zooo? For wit and and invention, it's amazingly sustained. I hate mediocrity and cliché, hence...

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 5 2008, 3:29 PM BST

Sarcasm isn't humour, it's cowardly invective.

It's true, Matt. I dislike many shows - many that you love, including Torchwank, but we both like LOG, I think. Although it's influenced you a tad more than me.

Sarcasm can be funny. I do love the league, though Im not really sure how much its actually influenced my own writing, especially not on the limited amount of material ive put up on here. But if it has, im not fussed, its a great show. Better to be influenced by good stuff than bad. Though I sort of take it that you were trying to take the mickey out of my writing for some reason. And I love the Boosh, but if you like it more then good for you.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 5 2008, 3:41 PM BST

Why did you think I'd hate it Zooo? For wit and and invention, it's amazingly sustained. I hate mediocrity and cliché, hence...

I'm not sure why!
Just that you tend to come across as quite an intellectual know it all grown up type. ;)
The sort that usually misunderstand and hate the Boosh.
Poor Boosh.
I was glad to be wrong. :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 5 2008, 3:52 PM BST

Sarcasm can be funny. I do love the league, though Im not really sure how much its actually influenced my own writing, especially not on the limited amount of material ive put up on here. But if it has, im not fussed, its a great show. Better to be influenced by good stuff than bad. Though I sort of take it that you were trying to take the mickey out of my writing for some reason. And I love the Boosh, but if you like it more then good for you.

I'm not trying to take the mickey out of your writing. I've taken the time to comment on sketches you've put up, which i don't bother to do for many people. I think you write well. I also think that most of your material is highly derivative. This isn't an attempt to damn you with faint praise, it's just you're not a very funny guy. Even your posts are not funny. The best you can do is snide. See above. Funny people are funny all the time. They can't help it. Producers are far more interested in people who are funny than people who can write.

There is probably a future in TV for you - perhaps as a comedy performer. But not as a writer. Your funny stuff is not original and your original stuff is not funny.

Quote: zooo @ April 5 2008, 3:58 PM BST

I'm not sure why!
Just that you tend to come across as quite an intellectual know it all grown up type. ;)
The sort that usually misunderstand and hate the Boosh.
Poor Boosh.
I was glad to be wrong. :)

I've been drawing comics and smuggling them into cereal packets for years. Tom Paulin does Wheatos, I've seen him.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 5 2008, 4:22 PM BST

I'm not trying to take the mickey out of your writing. I've taken the time to comment on sketches you've put up, which i don't bother to do for many people. I think you write well. I also think that most of your material is highly derivative. This isn't an attempt to damn you with faint praise, it's just you're not a very funny guy. Even your posts are not funny. The best you can do is snide. See above. Funny people are funny all the time. They can't help it. Producers are far more interested in people who are funny than people who can write.

There is probably a future in TV for you - perhaps as a comedy performer. But not as a writer. Your funny stuff is not original and your original stuff is not funny.

Ha! Have to say that I found that quite funny, even though you were really trying to rip me to shreds; the way you throw insults, and they are insults, as though its a fine and grown up thing to do, not just rude and arrogant. As for producers, and me not having a future in writing, im currently involved in the writing of a sketch show with a major company, who are also showing interest in a full show of mine; whilst another is talking about pitching a sit-com of mine to Channel four-so Id say your views on me are bang on the money!!

Why some people think its Ok to talk to people like this is beyond me, I never had a go at you, my original comment was supposed to be light hearted. Im sure you think that what youve written above is a fine and reasonable comment, but its not, its just insulting. If thats what you want to do, then carry on.

And Ill stop here with this; its supposed to be a thread about a show; not two fools trading insults!! :D