Gavin & Stacey Page 34

Quote: Aaron @ April 21 2008, 3:14 PM BST

Sorry, but to me it's no more or less obvious in Gavin and Stacey than The Office. I really think it comes down to taste in a show like this. There aren't traditionally obvious gag gags or comedy moments in that sense. It's the overall atmosphere which fuels things. Having said that, I've not got around to watching the past few episodes, so don't have direct reference to the specific scene(s) you're noting.

Yeah, there is a lot of subtlety in the humour but there is lots of it, I genuinely think the people who say there isn't much humour in it are missing it. How come other people can see it and others don't? I'm not talking about the people who just don't find the humour funny, that's a fair enough comment.

I don't see the similarity with Peep Show. PS is colder in its characters and stories, but still really funny. G&S shows lots of loving situations and is less neurotic.

Quote: Griff @ April 21 2008, 3:52 PM BST

I don't know if the fact that I originally come from South Wales makes it somehow seem less of a comedy and more of a documentary. It doesn't make me laugh when they say "lush" because that's just normal to me. Anyway if you all like it, good for you. There's no shortage of great comedy around at the moment for all tastes. I'm off to see Peep Show 5.1 at the BAFTA talk tomorrow. Can't wait!

You're quite right. It'd be a dull world if we all shared the same tastes.

Unless we all shared the same tastes as me, in which case it'd be flipping awesome.

If not a bit salty.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 21 2008, 1:42 PM BST

G & S is a ground-breaking show, because even people who like it admit that it isn't funny - much.

Well thats just a sweeping statement that obviously isnt true; I find the show very funny indeed.

A great end to a great second series I thought, one of the very best comedies of the last couple of years. I really dont get the point of view that there arent any funny bits in it, I just think its not for some people, it doesnt tickle them and thats fine; but I like it and to me it seems chock full of funny delights. Great performances, great characters and consistently funny-good stuff; I hope theres a third series.

I want to know what happened on the Fishing Trip.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 21 2008, 6:55 PM BST

Well thats just a sweeping statement that obviously isnt true; I find the show very funny indeed.

A great end to a great second series I thought, one of the very best comedies of the last couple of years. I really dont get the point of view that there arent any funny bits in it, I just think its not for some people, it doesnt tickle them and thats fine; but I like it and to me it seems chock full of funny delights. Great performances, great characters and consistently funny-good stuff; I hope theres a third series.

Totally agree.
;)

I made a very simple cover for this wonderfully simple (and simply wonderful) show...

Hi-rez at:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3101/2431911039_4d69040064_o.jpg

And now, we wait for Christmas...! (and Series 3???)

(or, in the meantime, the possibly impending Corden/Allen nuptials...???)

(and yes, I know they're denying it, but then, they would, wouldn't they?)

Oh don't worry, there'll be a third series - the Bafta guarantees that.

Presumably the humour and 'funny delights' will be so subtle the third time around that on the surface it will resemble Primo Levi's Holocaust memoir Hier ist Kein Warum, whilst to those in the know it will be funniest thing on TV.

I love this show, it is clever, subtle, and keeps you interested in what happened in the past ,and what will happen in the future.

So, in the final episode, when Gavin and Smithy were in the car together, did Smithy tell Gavin he loved him as in LOVED him?...

I was a bit confused by that.
I assume he just meant as a best friend though.

I think you assumed correctly, I hope so anyway, because the thought of the two of them together has just flashed across my brain ,and I need it never to happen again.

Ha.
I'm guessing Gavin would go on top.

I really like this series. :) Easy to watch and makes me laugh! Fun times! :)

Quote: EllieJP @ April 22 2008, 1:36 PM BST

I really like this series. :) Easy to watch and makes me laugh! Fun times! :)

Jolly flipping well said.

Aye.

'Neil' though?!

What a name.