Overrated sitcoms? Page 21

Always thought the likes of The Vicar Of Dibley/Open All Hours/Last Of The Summer Wine were what I'd call feel good TV. I loved them and still do. Then again I think crap like Toast Of London is exactly that - crap; the same with The Office and The Mighty Boosh. But people have differing tastes.

Many sitcoms I love, Hancock, Steptoe, The Likely Lads, Dad's Army, Black Books, The IT Crowd, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, Porridge, Reggie Perrin, Parks and Rec, Community, Arrested Development...... As for the Young Ones I loved it when it came out, I was the right age for it, but find it impossible to watch now, Bottom has dated better

Personally I think The Young Ones is, in the words of Stephen Hawking, f**king awesome.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. (That's English for I am right.)

Quote: alan1967 @ 1st September 2016, 3:45 PM

Always thought the likes of The Vicar Of Dibley/Open All Hours/Last Of The Summer Wine were what I'd call feel good TV. I loved them and still do. Then again I think crap like Toast Of London is exactly that - crap; the same with The Office and The Mighty Boosh. But people have differing tastes.

Last of the Summer Wine was okay but it should have gone on longer. There was so much more mileage in the characters and no need for repetiton.
I liked both The Office and Boosh. Nobody cares that I liked both The Office and Boosh.
For straight laughs it's still The Young Ones and Fawlty Towers. They are two British shows.

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 1st September 2016, 4:14 PM

As for The Young Ones, I loved it when it came out, I was the right age for it, but find it impossible to watch now, Bottom has dated better

Couldn't agree less... Bottom looks like it was bashed out in a wankend; The Young Ones is full of touches you miss at first, and this was before vids, DVDs and Youtube. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/ben-elton-knew-nothing-about-the-young-ones-creepy-fifth-housemate-2016-6

Quote: alan1967 @ 1st September 2016, 3:45 PM

Always thought the likes of The Vicar Of Dibley/Open All Hours/Last Of The Summer Wine were what I'd call feel good TV.

Yes, charming escapism. Too little of that on TV now.

I remember recording The Young Ones on a very bulky video recorder and watching it over and over. But as I say in my opinion, having recently watched a couple, I find it dated and something of a period piece. Bottom has some lovely moments; there is a lovely two-hander on a Ferris Wheel, which is nice as they still manage their physical shtick even in a confined space for half an hour. I like Bottom a lot, a true successor to the Dangerous Brothers. The Young Ones, like Filthy Rich & Catflap and Happy Families is something of a curio now; of historical value, but not something I can watch now much.

Always loved Bottom and still watch it today and it never dates for me personally.

Quote: alan1967 @ 3rd September 2016, 2:35 PM

Always loved Bottom and still watch it today and it never dates for me personally.

I'm a huge fan of The Young Ones - and Happy Families - less Filthy Rich & Catflap (which I discussed on this site but it seems to have disappeared)... Bottom to The Young Ones was Wings to The Beatles.

live and let die, maybe im amazed, liked wings. Spike was the Beatles, Cook The Stones, Python The Who, Blackadder The Kinks. I'd say the Young Ones would be Gerry and the Pacemakers ;)

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 3rd September 2016, 5:50 PM

live and let die, maybe im amazed, liked wings. Spike was the Beatles, Cook The Stones, Python The Who, Blackadder The Kinks. I'd say the Young Ones would be Gerry and the Pacemakers ;)

Mrs. Brown's Boys is David Guetta.

These arguments run like diarrhea. http://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2008/07/14/7057/once_in_every_lifetime,_comes_a_love_like_this...

The best episodes - the University Challenge one, let's say - are peerless.

Stephen Fry mentions that in his autobiography for its comparatively logical plot and stellar cast of characters.
The last two are firing on all cylinders.

:) Gordon. Of course comedy is a matter of taste, memory and opinion, I stand by mine, but it is mine. The Young Ones is an interesting historical comedy, but dated and no where near the importance of the Goons, Fringe or Python.