Overrated sitcoms? Page 26

Michael Monkhouse

• Sunday 7th June 2020, 8:14am
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,366 posts

Oooooh matron! Stop messing abaht!
That was my Kenneth Williams impersonation. It's good, isn't It?

Michael Monkhouse

• Sunday 5th July 2020, 8:36am
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,366 posts

When I first saw the Tim and Dawn scene at the end of 'The Office', I was on the verge of tears... Then I just told my parents I'm gay. It's only a f**king TV show ffs. There are kids starving in Africa.

Michael Monkhouse

• Wednesday 5th August 2020, 4:07pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,366 posts
Quote: chipolata @ 3rd June 2020, 11:46 AM

Only Fools and Horses. For a bit it was great. Then it really wasn't. It was bloated over-sentimental and manipulative, and seemed to exist mainly to buy John Sullivan a holiday home in Spain.

I agree with all of that except the second sentence. Criminally overrated.

Chappers

• Wednesday 5th August 2020, 4:37pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 31,247 posts

Has anybody mentioned Friends?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st June 2020, 10:02 AM

Father Ted was technically patchy but its fans aren't technically minded critics or even lifetime sitcom lovers, they're mostly casual viewers. .

Father Ted was consistently hilarious. I'd often cry with laughter watching it.

Wheel

• Wednesday 5th August 2020, 5:26pm
  • Wakefield, England
  • 376 posts

The Office. I don't see why people rate so highly, I've watched it a few times it's okay, but in my opinion, I don't think it's one of the best and I don't think it's as good as people rate it out to be IMO and I hate David Brent with a passion.

Michael Monkhouse

• Wednesday 5th August 2020, 7:28pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 5,366 posts

A lot of the problem is the hype. If The Office were broadcast at two in the morning unbeknownst to anyone but you, you'd probably think it was a masterpiece. But I know what you mean.

Chappers

• Thursday 6th August 2020, 7:28pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 31,247 posts
Quote: Wheel @ 5th August 2020, 5:26 PM

The Office. I don't see why people rate so highly, I've watched it a few times it's okay, but in my opinion, I don't think it's one of the best and I don't think it's as good as people rate it out to be IMO and I hate David Brent with a passion.

I watched it from the start before any hype as I worked in an office and I loved it because I could recognise some of the eventualities.

Hating Brent was all part of the appeal.

Wheel

• Thursday 6th August 2020, 8:40pm
  • Wakefield, England
  • 376 posts
Quote: Chappers @ 6th August 2020, 7:28 PM

I watched it from the start before any hype as I worked in an office and I loved it because I could recognise some of the eventualities.

Hating Brent was all part of the appeal.

It's that exact same reason why I love Grange Hill because I could recognise the teachers and the kids and sympathise with the things I saw in Grange Hill and what I saw at School.

Aaron

• Thursday 6th August 2020, 8:50pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,707 posts
Quote: Chappers @ 6th August 2020, 7:28 PM

Reversely, I really didn't enjoy it much until I'd worked in an office some years later.

Still not a favourite, but I can appreciate the dynamic and the humour much more.

Wheel

• Thursday 6th August 2020, 9:41pm
  • Wakefield, England
  • 376 posts

I also work in an office, but I don't get it to be honest, I don't get the humour or the dynamic of it

Flook

• Monday 31st August 2020, 11:02am
  • Devon, England
  • 320 posts

I enjoyed it as a cringefest
I think you have to be chronically self conscious to feel the burn