Overrated sitcoms? Page 26

Oooooh matron! Stop messing abaht!
That was my Kenneth Williams impersonation. It's good, isn't It?

When I first saw the Tim and Dawn scene at the end of 'The Office', I was on the verge of tears... Then I just told my parents I'm gay. It's only a f**king TV show ffs. There are kids starving in Africa.

Quote: chipolata @ 3rd June 2020, 11:46 AM

Only Fools and Horses. For a bit it was great. Then it really wasn't. It was bloated over-sentimental and manipulative, and seemed to exist mainly to buy John Sullivan a holiday home in Spain.

I agree with all of that except the second sentence. Criminally overrated.

Has anybody mentioned Friends?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st June 2020, 10:02 AM

Father Ted was technically patchy but its fans aren't technically minded critics or even lifetime sitcom lovers, they're mostly casual viewers. .

Father Ted was consistently hilarious. I'd often cry with laughter watching it.

The Office. I don't see why people rate so highly, I've watched it a few times it's okay, but in my opinion, I don't think it's one of the best and I don't think it's as good as people rate it out to be IMO and I hate David Brent with a passion.

A lot of the problem is the hype. If The Office were broadcast at two in the morning unbeknownst to anyone but you, you'd probably think it was a masterpiece. But I know what you mean.

Quote: Wheel @ 5th August 2020, 5:26 PM

The Office. I don't see why people rate so highly, I've watched it a few times it's okay, but in my opinion, I don't think it's one of the best and I don't think it's as good as people rate it out to be IMO and I hate David Brent with a passion.

I watched it from the start before any hype as I worked in an office and I loved it because I could recognise some of the eventualities.

Hating Brent was all part of the appeal.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th August 2020, 7:28 PM

I watched it from the start before any hype as I worked in an office and I loved it because I could recognise some of the eventualities.

Hating Brent was all part of the appeal.

It's that exact same reason why I love Grange Hill because I could recognise the teachers and the kids and sympathise with the things I saw in Grange Hill and what I saw at School.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th August 2020, 7:28 PM

Reversely, I really didn't enjoy it much until I'd worked in an office some years later.

Still not a favourite, but I can appreciate the dynamic and the humour much more.

I also work in an office, but I don't get it to be honest, I don't get the humour or the dynamic of it

I enjoyed it as a cringefest
I think you have to be chronically self conscious to feel the burn

Peep Show. Very annoying, just can't get into it, just seems to be two sad and boring bell ends just being sad and boring. I had to clean my cats sick up today, not a pleasant job but even that was better than watching an episode of Miranda. Oh God and Red Dwarf, used to be amazing but now just very tired and lost.

Is Family Guy a sitcom? Gave up on that, it's like it's not even trying, is it season 18 or 19 but it's really bad and well, just unfunny.

But Peep Show has got Super Hans and Big Suze.(Who could go on my Comedy Crush list)

Big Suze was nice when she was on the Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse thing, she's actually a relative of the Queen or something like that.

Quote: Bob Carolvorderman @ 22nd December 2020, 6:49 PM

Big Suze was nice when she was on the Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse thing, she's actually a relative of the Queen or something like that.

She married a minor royal, Lord Frederick Windsor, yes.