Overrated sitcoms? Page 20

EastEnders is not very funny these days and bringing old characters back from the dead has been done to death. It's about time they got with it and gave them all a zombie make over.

Same with Casualty and Holby.

In fact I'm sick of the fact the staff are responsible for most of the accidents and case work.

Wouldn't happen with Harry Shipman in charge. [Laughter]
/T. Hancock

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 30th January 2016, 11:17 AM GMT

Yeah but it was years ago.

Funny is funny, whenever it was written. A lot of HHH and Steptoe is ancient but many episodes still work

(Just to make myself popular here with my 3rd post :P) Peep Show

Firstly, I do like the show overall. Series 1 and 2 are superb (as in, "some of the best episodes of anything I've ever watched" superb), of my top 10 Peep Show episodes I think they'd all come from these two series with the exception of the wonderful Christmas episode. I find the rest very hit and miss in places. Series 8 and 9 were utterly woeful- They were continuing Peep Show as a brand, as an exercise, but on-screen it was going through the motions- the soul of the show had been sucked out. I can understand why it's a sacred cow when you consider it's contemporary competition but to me it had been on a slow death spiral of quality since at least the wedding arc was resolved, and that was back in series 4. It's a good show, at it's best it's a brilliant show, but goodness me did it outstay it's welcome, and for several years at that.

Only Fools and Horses

Similar to Peep Show, it seriously outstayed it's welcome and it's average quality as a franchise has suffered as a result. Almost all the '90s and beyond Christmas specials are a total non-starter to me. It feels like the premise of the show was killed off when they gave Del and Rodney romantic interests (not helped at all by the absolute lack of chemistry between Nicholas Lyndhurst and Gwyneth Strong) and it was a dead man walking once they played the dreaded "let's put a baby in this" card. Even then I don't think it's highs are that stellar. Again, I find it far more inconsistent in reality than it's reputation would suggest.

Mrs Brown's Boys

So utterly dreadful that the fact this isn't universally panned in every media outlet under the sun makes it "overrated". Unbearably bad.

Anything by Roy Clarke

Quote: paulted @ 17th April 2016, 7:50 PM BST

Anything by Roy Clarke

Yep

Quote: Geistycat @ 17th April 2016, 5:48 PM BST

Only Fools and Horses

Mrs Brown's Boys

I agree that Only Fools And Horses went downhill and the character Damian didn't help. All the actors that played him were quite weak apart from Ben Smith who played him at his eldest but he wasn't explored enough and became a percieved spare part in all the stories. Even through the writing always remained generally sharp I think the imagination waned as the series progressed. There could have been plenty of japes with Damian getting involved in their wheelings and dealings.

And Mrs Brown's Boys is the most unfunny show I have ever seen. I have to admire the guy for all the effort he has put in to geting the show as big as it has become from such humble beginnings but it's the most low brow humour I've ever seen. Absolutely no thought goes in to the gags and I would rather eat peacocks vomit than watch it.

Miranda and Mr Bean are shows that make me wish I had cyanide.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 17th April 2016, 8:40 PM BST

I agree that Only Fools And Horses went downhill and the character Damian didn't help. All the actors that played him were quite weak apart from Ben Smith who played him at his eldest but he wasn't explored enough and became a percieved spare part in all the stories. Even through the writing always remained generally sharp I think the imagination waned as the series progressed. There could have been plenty of japes with Damian getting involved in their wheelings and dealings.

And Mrs Brown's Boys is the most unfunny show I have ever seen. I have to admire the guy for all the effort he has put in to geting the show as big as it has become from such humble beginnings but it's the most low brow humour I've ever seen. Absolutely no thought goes in to the gags and I would rather eat peacocks vomit than watch it.

Miranda and Mr Bean are shows that make me wish I had cyanide.

Ditto on every point my friend

I think Happy Endings is massively-overrated.

It's been cancelled now (thank God), but was truly atrocious, even though some people seemed to love it.

"Him and Her". Immature, insipid characters, rambling storyline and bodily functions shoehorned in for effect. Watched them all, thinking it would coalesce into something significant, but it never happened.

I feel like you could say "overrated" pretty much about any comedy show.. I used to like TBBT but the last season wasn't good at all... But also Friends and HIMYM.. I guess it depends on your sense of humour...

I agree with Him and Her. I really did not find it funny at all.

Always interesting to find things you love are absolutely hated by others :0)

Mrs. Brown's Boys was a series I loved at first, and even at second. But it just wore out its welcome after that, it just seemed tiresome, and as for the movie.. gah..

But... just to add in an agreement for Roy Clarke. Never understood Open All Hours, or Last of the Summer Wine, or Keeping Up Appearances - but love all the actors in them, just not actually in those comedies. Perhaps with the exception of the short lived "First of the Summer Wine".

Well, considering it's been going for about seven series, then on sheer quantity of gags so old the dinosaurs died laughing then Benidorm must be right up there. Also The Vicar of Dibley, or 'shoot me in the face' as I call it must be ripe for consideration. I also have a particular dislike of 'Not Going out' which is basically a string of one-liners moulded into a programme no matter how tenuous the link.

God where do you start, anything by Croft and Perry after Dads Army. Mrs Browns Boys, as funny as toothache, as was his predecessor Old Mother Riley. The Office, The Young Ones which has dated terribly. All those hideous 70's monstrosities full of racism and sexism that people want to justify through the lens of history, Love Thy Neighbour, On The Buses etc. The deplorable class ridden crap that was To the Manor Born and As Time Goes By. Almost any new recent family sitcom that doesn't star Miranda Hart. I could go on, but wont ;)

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 1st September 2016, 2:06 PM

The Young Ones which has dated terribly.

It's dated in that it's so based in the period, Thatcher etc - but it's still hilarious in my humble opinion (that's Engish for I'm right).
Is there a sitcom you like?