- 5th September via The Sun: BBC slammed for Vicar Of Dibley offence warnings
- 1994 - 2020
- BBC One
- 20 (3 series), plus 11 extra episodes
- Dawn French, Emma Chambers, Gary Waldhorn, James Fleet, John Bluthal, Trevor Peacock, Roger Lloyd Pack and Liz Smith
- Richard Curtis and Paul Mayhew-Archer
- Dewi Humphreys and Gareth Carrivick
- Jon Plowman, Sue Vertue and Margot Gavan Duffy
Life in the miniscule, sleepy Oxfordshire village of Dibley is thrown upside-down when ancient Vicar Pottle dies - and the diocese send a new-fangled female vicar, Geraldine Grainger, as his replacement.
Her arrival is met with a mixture of wonder and horror from the assorted collection of rural yokels who call Dibley home: "You were expecting a bloke with a beard, a Bible and bad breath. Instead, you got a babe with a bob cut and a magnificent bosom," she observes.
Autocratic head of the Parish Council and local landowner David Horton is particularly appalled; when it becomes clear that Geraldine does not intend to play second fiddle, he resolves to call in any favour possible to have her removed.
However, David's plans fail and the new female vicar steps - perhaps naïvely - undaunted into their quaint and utterly batty country world. Geri and her flock soon find common ground and, although the journey is bumpy, join forces to revitalise life in the small community.
It's not long before even David must admit that Geraldine's the best thing to have ever happened to Dibley - and she that Dibley is the best thing to ever happen to her.
- Production company
- Also known as
- The Vicar Of Dibley In Lockdown (2020 title)
- Laugh track
- Live audience
- First broadcast
- Thursday 10th November 1994 on BBC One at 8:30pm
- Last new broadcast
- Wednesday 23rd December 2020 on BBC One at 11:50pm
- Last repeat
- Sunday 8th August 2021 at 1:00am on Gold