Show Me The Funny Page 5

A mate mentioned he'd watched this show and thought it was good ITV were giving comedians with no experience the chance to be on the telly. I explained that ITV had trawled the UK for the best talent on the circuit and this was it. He refused to believe me. Kate is actually being too kind to them.

Due to the current stand up boom this may have seemed like a good idea on ITVs behalf but they must be embarrassed by the standard of the comedy served up on this show. Patrick was the top performer last night and his routine consisted of spitting water over the audience. An absolute shambles.

Have you watched the full 5 minute set on the website or are you basing your opinion on what ITV have shown you (about 30 seconds of a 7 minute set)? The full thing was pretty good!

It's a real shame we're not getting to see more of the stage time, because it would be better if we were able to form a more educated opinion :( I'm sure they will start showing more and more. COME ON ITV YOU TOOLS- drop the first 15 minute 'recap' and just give us more comedy!

Quote: Johnx @ August 2 2011, 3:34 PM BST

A mate mentioned he'd watched this show and thought it was good ITV were giving comedians with no experience the chance to be on the telly.I explained that ITV had trawled the UK for the best talent on the circuit and this was it.He refused to believe me.Kate is actually being too kind to them.

Due to the current stand up boom this may have seemed like a good idea on ITVs behalf but they must be embarresed by the standard of the comedy served up on this show.Patrick was the top performer last night and his routine consisted of spitting water over the audience.An absoloute shambles.

No offence to the acts who are on the show, who are all decent, if not excellent, acts on the UK circuit but they are not "the best talent on the circuit", they are the acts that the producers chose as a good mix to make good TV (or not, depending on your opinion) and also they are acts who agreed to do the show.

The best acts on the circuit, people like Milton Jones, Stewart Lee, Daniel Kitson, Jo Caulfield, Sarah Millican, etc, who are generally regarded as the top stand ups in the country are not doing ITV reality shows.

Likes of Stewart Lee are big names and TV regulars.Presumably ITV were looking for the best UK stand ups who hadnt yet had much mainstream TV exposure and potentially launch another McIntyre/Russel Howard on the public.

Sorry this lot just don't have much originality or charm.The material is woefully predictable-they spend most of the time on stage shitting themselves.None of them could hope cut it as big name stand ups.

Oh well, at least you're not making any snap judgements.

Quote: Johnx @ August 2 2011, 4:07 PM BST

Sorry this lot just don't have much originality or charm.The material is woefully predictable-they spend most of the time on stage shitting themselves.None of them could hope cut it as big name stand ups.

Well apart from the fact that Tiffany Stephenson, Stuart Goldsmith, Pat Monahan, Cole Parker, Alfie Moore and Rudi Lickwood are already pretty well known on the stand up circuit.

Also, don't you think that the big names in stand up were not quite as good as they are now at some point in their career?

ITV need to lose the task element of the show as it adds little to nothing. "Show Me The Funny!". The clue's in the title.

Think of what Ross Nobel would have done with that audience - he would've taken the roof off. Obviously they can't be expected to be quite as good as him but they shouldn't be too far off. And they're miles away from that standard.

Yes, because they're not as good as one particular famous comic, they're obviously not good enough.

Do you think John Bishop, Jason Mansford, Russel Howard would have done much better than Pat did (watch the full set, not just the 30 seconds) with one day to prepare material? No. Don't be silly.

And it's Noble.

Course they would have, and I can stand any of that lot either. Very confident performers. Annoyingly so considering they're recycling the same old pish time and again. John Bishop's Britain - that should do for him for a start.

I very very much doubt they could. Especially since you say they're recycling the same old pish? Doesn't that suggest to you that maybe they're not as good at coming up with lots and lots of new material?

Also, that list I gave were just examples of 'middle of the road TV comics', as a point of reference.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 2 2011, 4:24 PM BST

ITV need to lose the task element of the show as it adds little to nothing. "Show Me The Funny!". The clue's in the title.

Well you could replace it with more stand up I s'pose, have them do several gigs, do longer than five minutes (though of course all we'd see is less than five minutes, but it'd add a bit more tension to the show).

It's bloody hard enough to write a new 5 every week, let alone more!

Just show us their whole five minutes instead of the tasks. It's not hard.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 2 2011, 4:33 PM BST

Yes, because they're not as good as one particular famous comic, they're obviously not good enough.

Do you think John Bishop, Jason Mansford, Russel Howard would have done much better than Pat did (watch the full set, not just the 30 seconds) with one day to prepare material? No. Don't be silly.

And it's Noble.

In fairness, I think certainly John Bishop is better than any of those acts, and both him and RH could easily deal with kids I expect. JM seemed to struggle a bit with the MCing though, and didn't seem to know how to talk to them. Though in reality, I can't imagine a pro stand up would ever be expected to play to a bunch of 12 year olds, and they could always just turn it down normally, as most people would.

And it's interesting to note who your faves are, a fellow teesider, a female comedian,(both of whom you've met?) and an older male version of you. If you combined the three you'd end up with Nat. ;)