Show Me The Funny Page 7

How dare you.

I see people are losing interst in this then? Shame Rudi went, I could hardly care whether the rest of them lived or died, let alone if they win or not.

Stu got into another argument, funny that...

None of them are 'funny'. (um new BTW) With a chance like that wouldn't you think they could come up with the goods!!
:S

Rhod Gilbert blasts 'Show Me The Funny' as death knell for UK comedy:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/08/06/rhod-gilbert-blasts-show-me-the-funny-as-death-knell-for-uk-comedy-91466-29189717/

The young lad has a point

I thought the last couple of panel shows Gilbert hosted were the death knell of comedy. SMTF has been funny even if it's been unintentional. Decent reality, car crash viewing.

I'm still trying to work out the obviously cryptic title.

For what it's worth here's my take on the last show.

Can anyone on here confirm that Rudi has ever been funny?
How can someone with apparemtly much experience of doing exactly what he's being asked to do be so poor at it.
And I'm commenting on the full length performances, not the edited 'highlights'.
It's a shame 'cos I thought he might have brought something different to the comedy table.
The others ain't much better either.
A lot is being made of Ellie's inexperience which is fair enough but she appears to be worrying about the psychological effect on her in writing themed material rather than concentrating on the humour.
Pat is a clown not a comedian. I stopped liking clowns when I was still a child.
Dan is very average at best.
Stu appears to be trying to take it seriously but without coming up with much that's funny. He suffered in this last one by being intimidated by partner Rudi.
Reckon Tiff and Alfie are stand out stand ups at the mo.

Quote: garyd @ August 10 2011, 1:36 AM BST

I'm still trying to work out the obviously cryptic title.

For what it's worth here's my take on the last show.

Can anyone on here confirm that Rudi has ever been funny?
How can someone with apparemtly much experience of doing exactly what he's being asked to do be so poor at it.
And I'm commenting on the full length performances, not the edited 'highlights'.
It's a shame 'cos I thought he might have brought something different to the comedy table.
The others ain't much better either.
A lot is being made of Ellie's inexperience which is fair enough but she appears to be worrying about the psychological effect on her in writing themed material rather than concentrating on the humour.
Pat is a clown not a comedian. I stopped liking clowns when I was still a child.
Dan is very average at best.
Stu appears to be trying to take it seriously but without coming up with much that's funny. He suffered in this last one by being intimidated by partner Rudi.
Reckon Tiff and Alfie are stand out stand ups at the mo.

I've not been watching the show because I knew right from the off it wouldn't show any of the comedians in a particularly good light but I know most of the acts (Ellie is the only one I'm not familiar with) and they are all good circuit comedians who make audiences around the country laugh on a regular basis.

Obviously comedy is subjective, so you might not find, for instance, Pat funny, but I've worked with him on many occasions when he has blown the roof off of a gig.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ August 9 2011, 9:41 AM BST

Rhod Gilbert blasts 'Show Me The Funny' as death knell for UK comedy:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/08/06/rhod-gilbert-blasts-show-me-the-funny-as-death-knell-for-uk-comedy-91466-29189717/

The young lad has a point

Young lad? He's in his 40s!

It seems a hugely disproportionate prize that the winner gets a DVD release. Mind you, they haven't said how many the run will be....

I'd hazzard a guest that Rudi has never been funny.Some hightlights;

To the army audience:
"Thank you for keeping my family and our country safe."(cringe)
"Any brothers out there.Come on flash your teeth."(double cringe)

To the schoolkids:
"Do any of you know what it's like to die"

To the doctors and nurses:
"I can't understand why Rooney gets paid more than you.You should be on
what he is."(cringe again)
"That got me applause break" he later said incredulously.

Correct about Partrick-he is a clown.He's good at dropping things,throwing things(sweets),spitting things.Just not telling things(jokes).

I say Pat a few years ago (he was on on the first ever circuit gig I went to) and even then (I think 6 years ago) he was damn funny. We were in a proper comedy club set up, with a comedy going audience so his set was more material based and less mobile. What you've seen from Pat over the last few weeks will be closer to his 'weekend club' performance- bigger and brasher like you have to be with difficult audiences just to keep their attention.

I'm interested to know how many of the people who are the most negative about the show have seen a decent whack of live (circuit, not TV) comedy, 'cause it seems like the people who are most supportive are the ones who regularly go to live shows.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 10 2011, 6:57 PM BST

I say Pat a few years ago (he was on on the first ever circuit gig I went to) and even then (I think 6 years ago) he was damn funny. We were in a proper comedy club set up, with a comedy going audience so his set was more material based and less mobile. What you've seen from Pat over the last few weeks will be closer to his 'weekend club' performance- bigger and brasher like you have to be with difficult audiences just to keep their attention.

I'm interested to know how many of the people who are the most negative about the show have seen a decent whack of live (circuit, not TV) comedy, 'cause it seems like the people who are most supportive are the ones who regularly go to live shows.

6 years since you saw a 'damn funny' Pat yet he appears to be struggling on this prog to make people laugh with any consistency.
I presume 'bigger and brasher' does not mean 'as good'.
Nat, I enjoy your insightful, fair and honest comments but this seems very defensive of a stand-up comedian who appears unable to be a stand-up comedian. I must admit there is something about him that suggests he might have another side. Purely a suggestion, mind.
The slots are only five minutes so I would have thought professional comedians would have enough material to generate a few decent laughs per show. It's a friendly audience after all.
Surely, if they wanted to be judged on how they are 'live' then they shouldn't be taking part in a TV show. Is live comedy funnier than that seen through a TV screen? Or maybe it's easy to get caught up in the hysteria of the live moment.
Still, there's time yet for the remaining participants to raise their game.
I'm looking forward to what's in store. That's if it's not been looted!

The name of the game isn't 'pick 5 minutes of your best existing material'. If it was it would be a very different competition. As it stands they are encouraged to write a new five minute set every week which is really f**king difficult. The stuff they are doing on the circuit (and would be doing in normal TV appearances) is material that they have been working on and honing for years. That's how the mechanics of stand up work-it's a very alien concept to be doing specifically targetted new material at a high pressure (televised) gig.

I'm not defending Pat specifically (in reality he's only my 3rd or 4th favourite on the show), but all of them. They are put into a bizarre situation where their worst (newest) material is judged as their best (most tried and tested). The sets aren't comparable to anything else on TV for this reason. The closest thing you have is Mock the Week when the guests have about a week to come up with their lines (I've seen Milton Jones trying his out on a live audience at a new material night the Monday before filming), but even then a lot of them practice it first or have writers (or both).

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 11 2011, 9:10 AM BST

The name of the game isn't 'pick 5 minutes of your best existing material'. If it was it would be a very different competition. As it stands they are encouraged to write a new five minute set every week which is really f**king difficult.

I really don't get this so difficult bit. Surely this should be second nature to well practised comedians? It surely has to be part of their game, adding new bits all the time, picking up on topical issues, expanding their act. I'd have thought it was a priority. To a comedian confident of their ability to create good material, creating a new 5 mins worth should be a doddle.

If they find this bit so tough then I really question whether stand up is for them. Because if they can't, then they clearly haven't been doing it right all these years. Haven't watched every minute of the show but what I've seen has been incredibly unimpressive.

That's a bit like asking why sitcom writers don't make a show after their first draft.

The name of the game isn't 'pick 5 minutes of your best existing material'.

So are you saying that these comedians would go to a show armed with a set routine only therefore if it goes pear-shaped they are stuffed? There is no fallback material? Obviously I appreciate they would look to present their best gags but surely not all audiences will be receptive to exactly the same stuff.

As it stands they are encouraged to write a new five minute set every week which is really f**king difficult.

Really? Having heard the stuff that is getting laughs and being praised by the judges it strikes me that professional comedians should be able to write even an average routine and get a decent response.

The stuff they are doing on the circuit (and would be doing in normal TV appearances) is material that they have been working on and honing for years.

Really? You suprise me but okay.

That's how the mechanics of stand up work-it's a very alien concept to be doing specifically targetted new material at a high pressure (televised) gig.

Do they only get 24 hours to prepare? If so then yes I can see there would be a difficulty. If longer then that would surely make it less high pressure to come up with something as they know what the target audience is early on.

They are put into a bizarre situation where their worst (newest) material is judged as their best (most tried and tested).

Sorry, can't agree with that.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ August 11 2011, 10:45 AM BST

That's a bit like asking why sitcom writers don't make a show after their first draft.

Nat, you don't really believe that, do you?

I'm not saying what the contestants are being asked to do is easy but I did expect better from 'professional' comedians.
They knew in advance the format of the programme and would have been well drilled in what to expect re timings, filming etc..