Show Me The Funny

I thought this was quite interesting, though it's a shame they didn't show more of the stand-up, we hardly saw some of the acts. I hope Ellie being given the big build up was just a one off and she's not being groomed to win by a producer who fancies her or something.

The fact she had so little experience would make it a 'good' story and she did pretty well, but I'm hoping at least one of them's going to show a lot more than that if they're going to win such a great prize.

I don't have a favourite yet, since I've seen so little of them! I'm interested to see more of the Eddie Murphy guy though.

I don't think you'll see any particular amount of stand-up until the live final. It's not really a comedy show; it's a docu-reality-talent thing.

I would think it's hard for any viewer to get behind the people, or invested enough to keep watching, if they barely show you any of the act.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 21 2011, 4:23 PM BST

I would think it's hard for any viewer to get behind the people, or invested enough to keep watching, if they barely show you any of the act.

I disagree. They show relatively little of what the contestants do on The Apprentice, and yet thousands of morons watch that every year. This is just stand-up rather than business. There's little other difference.

I put this in the Watching TV thread but would be more relevant here:

Just watched Show Me the Funny on ITVplayer... does anyone know if any of the contestants were really uncomfortable in pulling daft poses for the promo shots, or did they only choose people who would be happy to look a bit idiotic?

I'm not being sarcy, I genuinely want to know. I'd be mortified if I'd practiced for ages to be an alright stand-up, and got on the programme, then had to publicise myself posing in a faux-hilarious stance

The stand ups seem much more likeable than the people on the Apprentice though! In fact everyone bar the female critic seems more likeable than anyone on the Apprentice.

Quote: AJGO @ July 21 2011, 4:33 PM BST

I put this in the Watching TV thread but would be more relevant here:

Just watched Show Me the Funny on ITVplayer... does anyone know if any of the contestants were really uncomfortable in pulling daft poses for the promo shots, or did they only choose people who would be happy to look a bit idiotic?

I'm not being sarcy, I genuinely want to know. I'd be mortified if I'd practiced for ages to be an alright stand-up, and got on the programme, then had to publicise myself posing in a faux-hilarious stance

I imagine any stand up with an agent who's arranged to have their photo taken will be used to this sort of thing, though I could be wrong.

Though I don't remember seeing them my self...

Quote: Aaron @ July 21 2011, 4:24 PM BST

I disagree. They show relatively little of what the contestants do on The Apprentice, and yet thousands of morons watch that every year. This is just stand-up rather than business. There's little other difference.

You'd think with a title like that though,they would actually, well, show you 'the funny'.

Oh, I don't disagree that I'd like to see more of the stand-up - but we have to recognise that that isn't what the programme sets out to do.

It's a great shame, but these talent contests just seem to be what the public want at the moment.

The public wants what the public gets..

Some of the routines are now available in full on the web.

http://twitter.com/showmethefunny/

Yeah well that was an hour of my life that has been stolen forever. There was me thinking I'd actually see some decent stand up but I gave up long before anyone even took to the stage. Pointless tasks, awful people and endless bickering, there were genuinely more laughs on the Apprentice.

Keep an eye out for Tiff Stevenson, she's great.

And Patrick Monaghan is from (near) Middlesbrough. Haven't seen him in years live but I'm sure a lot of his act that I saw was improvised, which will be handy for the series!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ July 22 2011, 12:38 PM BST

Keep an eye out for Tiff Stevenson, she's great.

And Patrick Monaghan is from (near) Middlesbrough. Haven't seen him in years live but I'm sure a lot of his act that I saw was improvised, which will be handy for the series!

He is from Teesside of Irish/Iran parents. I'm pretty sure it is the Middlesbrough area.

You are correct. Someone told me it is actually Saltburn he was brought up, which is very close to boro.

Is it me or is Kate Copstick driving anyone else mad with hate?