I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,803

Quote: A Horseradish @ 5th March 2016, 3:54 PM GMT

That's very nice.

I like that version of America. :D

They grow along the roadside and it's a tradition for Texans to take photos of their babies and small children among the bluebonnets. It's a bit dangerous because of all the bees.

They provide huge amounts of leverage. A full-scale exchange is unlikely, but one or two tactical nukes could be a game changer in certain situations if the leader is certain that the other country wouldn't escalate. Even more likely would be a situation where China says, "We're taking Taiwan and unless you want a nuclear war you'd better let us have it."

They wouldn't though would they unless they want a nuclear war, which they don't. The world needs to remember the only nation to have used nuclear weapons are the USA so countries like Russia/China really don't want to risk it.

Alan you win late post of the week award.

Youve made it sound like texas is o reparing to.nuke the blue bonnets

Quote: sootyj @ 5th March 2016, 7:45 PM GMT

Alan you win late post of the week award.

Youve made it sound like texas is o reparing to.nuke the blue bonnets

Well it wouldn't surprise me :D

Quote: alan1967 @ 5th March 2016, 6:33 PM GMT

They wouldn't though would they unless they want a nuclear war, which they don't.

Of course nobody wants a nuclear war, and that's what makes them such powerful weapons. The United States signed a treaty which requires it to defend Taiwan against an attack by China. What would happen if China launched such an attack and as American forces raced to the area they were warned that a nuclear strike against, say, an aircraft carrier was possible? Would an American president call their bluff? Would the American people support a fight for a faraway island if it could lead to a nuclear war? How would UK and European citizens and leaders react if Russia threatened a similar strike over a tiny chunk of land in the former USSR?

It all comes down to guessing how American leaders would react to a strike, either real or threatened. That's always been enough to avoid nuclear confrontations in the past, but what if Chinese or Russian hackers managed to penetrate high-level military and presidential communications and saw that we were inclined to waver if the (threatened) strikes were small and limited to a confined area thousands of miles from our more important interests?

This documentary outlines concerns about the power of the NATO alliance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05qgd0n

If you can't be bothered to listen, then I'll summarise; we've got next to no power.

Quote: Nogget @ 6th March 2016, 4:37 PM GMT

This documentary outlines concerns about the power of the NATO alliance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05qgd0n

If you can't be bothered to listen, then I'll summarise; we've got next to no power.

That was an excellent piece and it pretty much echoed what I've been saying. Thanks for sharing.

RIP Nancy Reagan.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th March 2016, 6:08 PM GMT

RIP Nancy Reagan.

Yes indeed.

Loyalty.......and a lot of years. :)

Wow

I thought she died about 20 years ago

Quote: lofthouse @ 6th March 2016, 9:07 PM GMT

Wow

I thought she died about 20 years ago

Maybe she should have. *slapsownhead for being evil*

RIP Keith Emerson. :(

[quote name="Gordon Bennett" post="1151423" date="11th March 2016, 8:08 PM GMT
RIP Keith Emerson. :(
[/quote]

Yes indeed, but what is worrying for me is that of late there have been too many like him of the same age or even younger than me. Angelic

I know it is clichéd, but in this instance words completely fail me Angry

"Serial killer Joanna Dennehy has been granted legal aid in her fight for compensation over the way she's been treated in prison.

Dennehy claims segregation in prison has made her feel "tearful and upset."

The authorities have said that Dennehy was segregated over suspicions that she was planning to kill a prison officer as part of an escape plan.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson has confirmed that Dennehy has been granted legal aid for the case."

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th March 2016, 9:59 AM GMT

I know it is clichéd, but in this instance words completely fail me Angry

"Serial killer Joanna Dennehy has been granted legal aid in her fight for compensation over the way she's been treated in prison.

Dennehy claims segregation in prison has made her feel "tearful and upset."

The authorities have said that Dennehy was segregated over suspicions that she was planning to kill a prison officer as part of an escape plan.

A Ministry of Justice spokesperson has confirmed that Dennehy has been granted legal aid for the case."

How ridiculous.

Meanwhile
When I've watched this show in England, I can't say I ever noticed that male presenter was meant to be more senior/superior. Nor have on the Australian Breakfast show I watch where the male presenter also sits on the left. I've also never thought about why on the other one the male presenter sit on the right.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/mar/16/bbc-breakfast-countryfile-louise-minchin-sofa-dan-walker