I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,802

Quote: keewik @ 2nd March 2016, 10:04 PM GMT

You may know that people here are horrified at the prospect of Trump becoming president - the end of the world is nigh! Would Americans really vote him in?

Donald Trump is a first-class assclown, but that doesn't mean he's unelectable. Republicans are furious at their leaders and that's why Trump (the assclown who says whatever he wants), Cruz (the angry maverick) and Rubio (the Tea Partier) are leading the pack. It would be nice if Rubio and Cruz could join forces, because combined they garner more votes than Trump.

Hillary would certainly have made a better president than Obama, but her toxic past and family name should mean that her ship has sailed. I'm sure there are a few Republicans who would rather vote for her than Trump, but there aren't many -- including me.

Our nation as we know it won't survive another 4 or 8 years of weak, apologetic leadership. And anyone who watches the news knows that the sharks (China, Iran, Russia and Islamist terrorism) are circling and there is literally no other nation on the planet that is strong enough to stop them from gobbling up territory and slaughtering their enemies. Even if it remains a cold war, there is no happy outcome without the United States. So that's what you should really be worried about.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd March 2016, 11:32 PM GMT

Well we're horrified about Trump and they're horrified we might pull out if the EU. Maybe we should all mind our own business.

That's how our milquetoast president feels, but not the nation as a whole. I doubt that more than 20% of Americans are even aware of the possibility of a Brexit; it just doesn't concern us. Although Americans are of a rebellious nature and would likely cheer you on.

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd March 2016, 1:45 AM GMT

And anyone who watches the news knows that the sharks (China, Iran, Russia and Islamist terrorism) are circling and there is literally no other nation on the planet that is strong enough to stop them from gobbling up territory and slaughtering their enemies. Even if it remains a cold war, there is no happy outcome without the United States. So that's what you should really be worried about.

We have UN, NATO and EU and basically any other nation which wants to join in and stop them, which virtually every decent country is against isil, force is necessary. Against Iran, China, Russia and N Korea things get very tricky if any leader talks about force against them. Diplomacy is the way here. Is Trump right for that vital role? Huh?

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd March 2016, 1:45 AM GMT

Donald Trump is a first-class assclown........anyone who watches the news knows that the sharks (China, Iran, Russia and Islamist terrorism) are circling and there is literally no other nation on the planet that is strong enough to stop them from gobbling up territory and slaughtering their enemies. Even if it remains a cold war, there is no happy outcome without the United States. So that's what you should really be worried about.

Hi DaButt,

Always good to get another countries take on this, because we're all bathed in a different brand of propaganda. But...

Since the end of the second world war, America has been involved in around 23 or so Wars, China only a few. But America has been the main instigator in many of the largest wars since then, China none. The body count caused by American Wars massive, China's have mainly been cold wars so a minimal body count by comparison. Add to the fact China's international policy in this regards has never changed, i.e. It defends its borders (Taiwan & Tibet) but in general doesn't interfere outside of that. America on the other hand has been an interventionist, and has ignored world opinion and the United Nations on a number of counts when going to war.

Usher in Trump where no one has a clue what he stands for, other than he's a Wild West hard talking gun slingers, shooting aggression from the hip. He says whatever gets him an applause, he's a man that can not admit he's wrong, who appears to lack empathy, he's more interested in shameless self promotion than the American people. In other words, a War time politician. It's America I fear, not China. And Britain is often parcelled up with the same Anglo-American ideology in the we were also interventionist, we've joined many of your wars. But with Nuclear weapons and a changing of the guard, don't we need diplomats rather than war mongers, wouldn't that make the world safer ?

It's Putin vs Trump in a contest of ego wrestling that worries me.

Does anyone in America think that Trump would not use the Presidency to line his own pockets (a la Putin)?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 3rd March 2016, 8:52 AM GMT

We have UN, NATO and EU and basically any other nation which wants to join in and stop them, which virtually every decent country is against isil, force is necessary.

Sadly, NATO is quite weak without the United States. The UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands have fine fighting forces with good equipment, but they just don't have enough to take on Russia or China. They'd do ok in a small regional war, but they simply lack the capability to project force a substantial force over a large area or great distance.

Take the C-17 Globemaster, a state of the art, long-range transport aircraft, for example. The UK has 8, Australia has 8, Canada has 5 and NATO has 3. The United States has 223 C-17s.

Consider heavy bombers: the United States has 160, Russia has 124 and China has 120. The rest of the world has none.

Any major war involving Europe will require the use of American transport and refueling aircraft, bombers, fighters, tanks, satellites and intelligence assets.

Against Iran, China, Russia and N Korea things get very tricky if any leader talks about force against them. Diplomacy is the way here. Is Trump right for that vital role? Huh?

Diplomacy is extremely important, but it's all a chess match. As it's been said many times before, Putin plays chess while Obama plays checkers. The only way to stop Putin and China from snatching up territory is to make them worried that they might get a military punch in the face.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 3rd March 2016, 8:54 AM GMT

Since the end of the second world war, America has been involved in around 23 or so Wars, China only a few. But America has been the main instigator in many of the largest wars since then, China none. The body count caused by American Wars massive, China's have mainly been cold wars so a minimal body count by comparison. Add to the fact China's international policy in this regards has never changed, i.e. It defends its borders (Taiwan & Tibet) but in general doesn't interfere outside of that.

First of all, the number 23 is misleading. I found the appropriate entry on Wikipedia, but it includes such obscure events as the Simba Rebellion and Shaba II which I'd never even heard of. Some of the actions involved nothing more than the use of a few transport aircraft and there were no shots fired by Americans -- that's hardly what I'd call a war. Also, I saw that the war in Afghanistan was broken up into two separate wars. As far as I'm concerned, it's been one long war.

If we consult the corresponding Wikipedia entries:

China: 17 post-WWII involvements
Russia/USSR: 22 involvements
UK: 27 involvements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_Kingdom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Russia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

China is not lacking in offensive efforts nor body counts. Their wars have cost millions of lives, and let's not forget that they were major instigators in both the Korean and Vietnam wars. They also managed to starve, execute and torture their own citizens to the tune of 30 or 40 million deaths. The Russians also murdered 5 or 10 million of their own citizens, so comparing the two to the United States is absurd.

It's America I fear, not China.

Past history is one thing, but we need to be worried about the present and future. The United States military and its influence is shrinking; we're drawing down around the world. How much of the territory that we've fought on over the last several decades have we conquered as our own? The answer is none. Where we've fought we've done our best to pacify and rebuild, often without much success. And the recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan would never have taken place had Saddam left office and the Taliban turned over bin Laden as requested.

Russia, on the other hand, has returned to its Cold War saber rattling and recently conquered and annexed Crimea. They're still fighting in Ukraine and they have their eyes on former USSR territories. And don't forget that they have stepped up their simulated nuclear bombing runs against The United States and Europe.

China has built manmade islands in the South China Sea and is rapidly equipping them with fighters, bombers and missiles. They will soon control the entire region. If I lived in Taiwan and Australia I'd be very worried. They also recently announced that they're building a military base in Africa and they're building aircraft carriers, so do not doubt their plans for further military expansion and aggression. They're militarizing space and conducting cyberattacks against the rest of the world. Anyone with half a brain should be worried about their future intentions.

You have no reason to fear the United States, but you have every reason to fear Russia and your brethren in Australia and New Zealand have every reason to fear China.

Quote: playfull @ 3rd March 2016, 9:16 AM GMT

Does anyone in America think that Trump would not use the Presidency to line his own pockets (a la Putin)?

I doubt that there is a single rational person who would think that way. Trump is already worth something like $4 billion. It would be virtually impossible for an American president to siphon or embezzle money in the way that Putin has. American presidents make their money after they leave office, commanding huge speaking fees and large payments for writing books. I don't like that it's even possible for them to do so, since those fees and donations often come with political favor requests attached. It's one thing for a retired president to make a pile of money, but when you have a candidate like Hillary who has been paid hundreds of millions of dollars and is poised to occupy the White House that it becomes a very dangerous issue.

Here's a cheery story: China's air force will overtake the United States Air Force in 15 years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-general-chinas-airpower-overtake-174246227.html

Isn't the us military notorious forvthreat exageration to increasevits budget? That and isntvthe real problem is the f35 is a lemon?

Which computer has a f35 button? F anything is a bit passé now?

Quote: sootyj @ 4th March 2016, 7:49 AM GMT

Isn't the us military notorious forvthreat exageration to increasevits budget? That and isntvthe real problem is the f35 is a lemon?

The threat is real. China is spending hundreds of billions of dollars to build bases in the South China Sea and Africa. They're also building aircraft carriers and those have no real defensive purpose -- the Chinese plan to project power across the region. Vietnam, Japan, Australia and other nations are rightly worried.

The F35 isn't a lemon. It's having teething issues like any new aircraft, but they'll sort things out. The V-22 Osprey was described as a waste of money in its early years, but now the Marines are in love with them.

So the Republican candidate is likely to be a man who compared his willy size with the other candidates on national television.

Before we ask the question "should he have his finger on the nuclear button?", we need to ascertain if he is ready to move on to "proper" school.

After all, Jeb "My Dad is bigger than your Dad" Bush has been kicked back into elementary.

What's the point in spending billions when nobody bar those nutters N Korea/Iran would ever use Nuclear Weapons. Do people really think China or Russia would Nuke America and Visa-Versa.

Quote: alan1967 @ 4th March 2016, 8:26 PM GMT

What's the point in spending billions when nobody bar those nutters N Korea/Iran would ever use Nuclear Weapons. Do people really think China or Russia would Nuke America and Visa-Versa.

They provide huge amounts of leverage. A full-scale exchange is unlikely, but one or two tactical nukes could be a game changer in certain situations if the leader is certain that the other country wouldn't escalate. Even more likely would be a situation where China says, "We're taking Taiwan and unless you want a nuclear war you'd better let us have it."

There are a lot of nice flowers in North America.

http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/RegionListing.asp :)

Quote: A Horseradish @ 4th March 2016, 9:21 PM GMT

There are a lot of nice flowers in North America.

http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/RegionListing.asp :)

Wildflower season in the spring in Texas is simply beautiful. I'd like to post a picture of my neighbor awash in bluebonnets that has been memorialized on cakes, paintings and stickers, but I'll refrain in deference to his privacy.

Quote: DaButt @ 5th March 2016, 1:33 AM GMT

Wildflower season in the spring in Texas is simply beautiful. I'd like to post a picture of my neighbor awash in bluebonnets that has been memorialized on cakes, paintings and stickers, but I'll refrain in deference to his privacy.

That's very nice.

I like that version of America. :D