The Inbetweeners - Series 1 Page 14

Quote: NickTheDon @ May 31 2008, 2:55 PM BST

Does Jay remind anyone else of Russell Howard too?

No. He's funny for one.

I've just started watching this today (slow day).

On episode 5 and it's a great little show, contray to what some people have been saying 6th form isn't really like that, but it's still a funny show and I'll keep watching.

PS - I love 4OD

I dunno, personally I can relate to a lot of the stuff that's happening. Sure some of it's pretty exaggerated, but a lot of it is eerily similar.

Oh yeah, he does look a bit Russell Howardish!
I'm sure he'd prefer that comparison too.

Quote: NickTheDon @ May 31 2008, 5:14 PM BST

I dunno, personally I can relate to a lot of the stuff that's happening. Sure some of it's pretty exaggerated, but a lot of it is eerily similar.

The way the 6th form head is a complete wanker is about right.

And the house parties - but pulling the "Hottest" girl at them isn't, they always havea boyfriend who doesn't go to the school and is a raging drug addict of some sort.

No? Just my 6th form block then...

The head of my 6th form was a wanker to, but I decided 6th form wasn't for me, and quit 2/3 weeks later. I kind of regret it but I guess that's life. *shrugs*

Quote: Paul W @ May 31 2008, 6:05 PM BST

And the house parties - but pulling the "Hottest" girl at them isn't, they always havea boyfriend who doesn't go to the school and is a raging drug addict of some sort.

I go to an all boys school, so the hottest girl at our school is at least 25 and a teacher...

But the story line involving Will getting together with a hot girl is quite ridiculous, probably quite far from any geek's 'real life.' But otherwise the show is a more accurate representation of Sixth Form life than anything else.

We're not that stupid though, are we?

Quote: PhQnix @ May 31 2008, 11:56 PM BST

I go to an all boys school, so the hottest girl at our school is at least 25 and a teacher...

But the story line involving Will getting together with a hot girl is quite ridiculous, probably quite far from any geek's 'real life.' But otherwise the show is a more accurate representation of Sixth Form life than anything else.

We're not that stupid though, are we?

PhQnix, geeks get lucky from time to time ;)

And yeah it's more accurate than anything else, mostly down to the fact that there isn't really anything else that presents a six form.

Finished watching the first series now and I loved it. Great ending.

Quote: Paul W @ June 1 2008, 11:58 AM BST

PhQnix, geeks get lucky from time to time ;)

Are you implying that you have an attractive girlfriend? :P

I agree though. It might not be the most common scenario, but it does happen.

Doing a bit of re-watching, I've realised Jay is a bit like someone from Grange Hill circa 1979. His accent is straight out of the 70s.

Quote: Seefacts @ June 1 2008, 3:31 PM BST

Doing a bit of re-watching, I've realised Jay is a bit like someone from Grange Hill circa 1979. His accent is straight out of the 70s.

I think exactly the same. He actually really reminds me of Phil Daniels in Quadrophenia. The way he talks and his facial expressions are really similar.

Can you get accents from specific decades, particularly such recent ones? Didn't strike me as anything strange about it?

Quote: Aaron @ June 1 2008, 3:40 PM BST

Can you get accents from specific decades, particularly such recent ones? Didn't strike me as anything strange about it?

I don't know how to explain it.

It might be the fact he's got quite a high voice too, that, in my mind, equates it with 70s Grange Hill.

Also you never get Cockney accents that thick anymore on telly. Even EastEnders have toned it down.

I agreed because I thought he sounded like Phil Daniels in Quadrophenia, and that was actually released in 1979.

It actually made me think of 1980s Grange Hill too, when I was watching it. Can't remember if it was specifically Jay though.