The Inbetweeners - Series 1

Has anyone seen the advert on E4?

it starts may 1st and is E4's first sitcom! Looks good.

whats everyone elses opinion??

http://www.e4.com/inbetweeners/

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/inbetweeners/

I've not seen the trailer, but I get the impression it's not all that great.

The trailers made me laugh, definitely looks promising.

I happen to have seen the first couple of episodes... I really, really enjoyed it: it's aimed at the young 'Skins' market, but manages to do a better job of crossing over into appealing to all. They've certainly done a good job of accurately re-creating what it was like to be that age (definitely more so than Coming Of Age has)

Much more detail to follow in our in-depth guide, coming next week.

Quote: ShoePie @ April 18 2008, 10:35 PM BST

The trailers made me laugh, definitely looks promising.

Agreed, I also agree with the Coming Of Age comment. I enjoyed the clips, especially the frisbee and MILF ones.

Quote: Mark @ April 18 2008, 10:44 PM BST

I happen to have seen the first couple of episodes... I really, really enjoyed it: it's aimed at the young 'Skins' market, but manages to do a better job of crossing over into appealing to all. They've certainly done a good job of accurately re-creating what it was like to be that age (definitely more so than Coming Of Age has)

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. Is it a sitcom proper, or a "comedy drama".

Quote: Aaron @ April 19 2008, 10:13 AM BST

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. Is it a sitcom proper, or a "comedy drama".

It's sitcom. It's not a studio sitcom though so don't expect obvious one-liners.

The characters are all like-able: I think it's nice they've gone for the other end of the spectrum (they're 'average' slightly geeky kids in The Inbetweeners, and thankfully not like the supposed drug-taking all-night-partying parents-don't-care kids in Skins)

Sounds good to me!

I've only seen the ad where the girl in the wheelchair gets hit by a frisbee.

Seen the clips from this on the website, looks like more typical E4 Skins type stuff. Wank jokes mainly.

It's a shame because there is a need for a 'school life' sitcom on TV, but these type of shows always feel as if they are written by middle-aged men and their ideas of what 'school life' is like. And yeah some bits are accurate but the jokes tend be fully focused on what kids find funny at like 12 years old and it's fine to show that side of school life but that can't be your actual main joke, in my opinion.

Plus they always seem to be very upbeat and colourful with a bouncy indie soundtrack and shot in an American style.

I want a more realistic school life sitcom. A British equivalent to Freaks and Geeks I guess is what we should be aiming for. I think a school life sitcom shot more like The Office and less like The OC would be really appealing.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ April 20 2008, 8:12 PM BST

Seen the clips from this on the website, looks like more typical E4 Skins type stuff. Wank jokes mainly.

It's a shame because there is a need for a 'school life' sitcom on TV, but these type of shows always feel as if they are written by middle-aged men and their ideas of what 'school life' is like. And yeah some bits are accurate but the jokes tend be fully focused on what kids find funny at like 12 years old and it's fine to show that side of school life but that can't be your actual main joke, in my opinion.

Plus they always seem to be very upbeat and colourful with a bouncy indie soundtrack and shot in an American style.

I want a more realistic school life sitcom. A British equivalent to Freaks and Geeks I guess is what we should be aiming for. I think a school life sitcom shot more like The Office and less like The OC would be really appealing.

Sadly producers can't grasp the fact that NO KIDS EVER IN THE WORLD are like the one off Skins - the most poorly written program ever made.

It's the law to portray teen on telly as drug taking, wanking, poncy, confident, shagging machines. When no teen is like that.

programme*

Sorry. YOU MAKE ME DO IT.

(And yes, I know that the spelling 'programme' is of French extraction. Rolling eyes)

Quote: Aaron @ April 20 2008, 10:25 PM BST

programme*

Sorry. YOU MAKE ME DO IT.

(And yes, I know that the spelling 'programme' is of French extraction. Rolling eyes)

I always get very excited when I see on the forum portal bit that a thread I've posted on has gone to the top of the list.

"Ohh, look, someone's posted a considered reply to further the debate . . . Oh, no, it's just Aaron with too much time on his hands."

How about we watch it first, before we judge it!

Quote: Seefacts @ April 20 2008, 10:33 PM BST

I always get very excited when I see on the forum portal bit that a thread I've posted on has gone to the top of the list.

"Ohh, look, someone's posted a considered reply to further the debate . . . Oh, no, it's just Aaron with too much time on his hands."

Laughing out loud

I'll try and be gooder now Sir, pwomise!

Quote: Seefacts @ April 20 2008, 10:05 PM BST

Sadly producers can't grasp the fact that NO KIDS EVER IN THE WORLD are like the one off Skins - the most poorly written program ever made.

It's the law to portray teen on telly as drug taking, wanking, poncy, confident, shagging machines. When no teen is like that.

I think you'll like The Inbetweeners because it definitely isn't the above. The first couple of episodes feature them trying to get a drink in a pub (and failing), being bullied at school, being told off by their parents etc etc.

Skins it definitely is not... there's no drugs and glamour, and none of them have sex (although one of them funnily tries to tell everyone he has) - as one of the clips on the E4 site shows, the most glam it gets is when one of them pukes up after drinking for the first time.

That said, yes, it is primarily aimed at a Skins aged audience. Older audiences can still no doubt get something from it though - for me it's Alex MacQueen playing a closet-gay dad.