Going to see stand-up Page 15

I'm ashamed to say I have been to see any live stand up since my Uni days - 11 years ago.

Now I'm feeling better and the amazing fact that I could fit in a cinema seat last week - I fancy taking Mrs Bigfella out for a evening.

So the question is who should we go and see? (Ideally someone who isn't going to pick on a fat bloke in the crowd)

Quote: bigfella @ May 5 2009, 7:45 PM BST

So the question is who should we go and see? (Ideally someone who isn't going to pick on a fat bloke in the crowd)

Jo Brand?

Or sit further back. ;)

I suppose it depends on who's touring near you in all honesty. :)

Quote: Nil Putters @ May 5 2009, 7:49 PM BST

Jo Brand?

Or sit further back. ;)

I suppose it depends on who's touring near you in all honesty. :)

Actually. I quite like Jo Brand.

We can get to London so that isn't a problem.

I see Lee Mack is touring - but I wouldnt have a clue what his stand up was like.

It's pretty good. I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but I found him really funny.

I'm referring to his last stand up DVD btw. :)

Lee Mack live has been brilliant the two times I've seen him. Really fast paced, he re-uses material so there's a chance you'll recognise some of it if you've heard him on the radio etc. however it's still completely worht it imo.

Lee Mack is one of the funniest people I have ever seen live and I've seen quite a bit of stand-up. Recommended by me, for what it's worth. Oh, and I've got tickets to see his new tour (though it is next February!)

Dan

Quote: bigfella @ May 5 2009, 7:45 PM BST

Yeah, probably better to go and see one of the well known acts doing a big tour rather than a small local pub gig then. Only problem is you'll have to book way in advance.

Ross Noble was brilliant last year and so I'm going to see him again next week. Also seeing Michael McIntyre next week too. First time I've seen him live but loved his TV spots.

Yep, loved Ross Noble. That's a good point about him being on soon... meant to be getting tickets.

Quote: EllieJP @ May 6 2009, 1:03 PM BST

Yep, loved Ross Noble. That's a good point about him being on soon... meant to be getting tickets.

Good luck, I usually have to book months and months in advance for a lot of the stand-ups. I swear one day I'll forget to go to gig I have tickets for.

Oh I know people. ;)

Saw Jo Caulfield and Gordon Southern last night (at Krenz's club)

Even though they were officially Edinburgh warm-ups/try-outs, JC was very good. It's obvious she's been doing this a long-time and knows how to deal with different types of audiences. She's got some good stuff and some of it's for her Radio 4 show's new series.

Gordo tried some new stuff (never seen him before mind) some of which worked, some of which didn't. I actually found the bits where he was trying to 'save' it funnier than the material. 'Yes, *clever*! But not *funny*!' had me laughing a lot. He also ruined Life of Pi, for those that hadn't read it by going on about it, but not really making any jokes. (Other than the 'My Favourite Books' approach, which made me and Paul Kerensa laugh and literally no-one else in the room...) I imagine it'll be a lot tighter in Edinburgh though. There are a lot of clever and understated jokes, so you need to be on the ball listening.

Both good though. Laugh at lot through both sets, so take that as it may.

Dan

Chris Addison is my favourite stand up at the moment, I think he is excellent and due alot of recognition.

Went to see Nina Conti (and Monkey) last night at the SoHo Theatre London, was a preview for her Edinburgh show Evolution, there were a few rough edges but for the most part it hit the spot. Throughout the technical glitches she kept the audience smiling, it contiuned on the deconstruvtive route of her perevious show, which is no bad thing.

The strongest parts were always going to be with her doing Monkey, and some of the other puppets didn't work as well (including a guest appearence by her Dad Tom).

Her strong and confident delivery holds her well, and I have to say she has the best performing brests I have ever seen.

Off to see Lucy Porter and Sarah Millican in a few weeks, quiet looking forward to it.

Danny

::)