Going to see stand-up

Last night I went to one of the BEST stand up nights I've been to.

http://www.roarwithlaughter.co.uk/

I seriously haven't laughed that hard in ages, my jaw and stomach was aching.

Steven K Amos stole the show and had everyone in stitches! He even stayed around afterwards and chatted to everyone. What a great guy!!

Justin Edwards dedicated a "love" song to me...which actually made me want to change my name...so wrong on so many levels. But I loved it! :D

So what I want to know is who is the best stand up you've seen? Even in a small venue and you've thought - "I am actually crying with how funny that was"!

Ben Elton in his prime. That funny little Irish guy whose on everything these days. Not really a standup, but Pappy's Funclub at their first Edinburgh run.

Ben Elton in his prime was astonishing. No warm up, no funny voices, but for 2 hours commanded an audience. Timing, writing, energy he was alike a $6,000,000 man of comedy.

Apparently not tkaen by NR as he can't sing.

Quote: EllieJP @ April 11 2008, 10:05 AM BST

So what I want to know is who is the best stand up you've seen? Even in a small venue and you've thought - "I am actually crying with how funny that was"!

Never been as lucky as you, I tend to watch more amatuer comedy so I'm either laughing a bit (unless it's Stuart Laws who rocks my comedy world) or I'm thinking "shoot this guy before he shoots himself".

I've seen Stephen K Amos before and he was excellent. One of my favourite comedians. I've only been to see two 'big' stand ups and they were Al Murray and Jimmy Carr and both were very good. I'm off to see Frankie Boyle in the next few weeks and Jason Manford at the end of the year, so hopefully they'll be good.

Oooh, Frankie Boyle. Don't forget to tell us what he was like!

Quote: zooo @ April 11 2008, 11:35 AM BST

Oooh, Frankie Boyle. Don't forget to tell us what he was like!

I'm intending to go to his live recording in London! I'm a massive Boyle fan :D

(Awaits pun)

I was gonna go to see Stephen K. Amos at RoarWithLaughter yesterday but he turned up at well short notice (and I'm not well).

Best stand-up: Stewart Lee (seen at RWL a few times now). Awesome and very clever.

Saw Brendon Burns in Farnham last Friday. He won the if.commedie award last year. Very funny. Haven't seen him for about 10 years and he has sobered up completely, yet hasn't stopped with the controversial material...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ April 11 2008, 2:56 PM BST

I was gonna go to see Stephen K. Amos at RoarWithLaughter yesterday but he turned up at well short notice (and I'm not well).

Sorry to hear you're not well...

If you end up going to Roar With Laughter next time, let me know! :) I've been a couple of times now, and the people there are great!

Brendon Burns is great, as is Stewart Lee.

Stewart Lee's 90's comedian show at Cambridge made me cry with laughter and ache all over. He's simply the funniest standup I've ever seen.

His latest show isn't as funny as his last two, but still very good.

Quote: Winterlight @ April 11 2008, 3:14 PM BST

Stewart Lee's 90's comedian show at Cambridge made me cry with laughter and ache all over. He's simply the funniest standup I've ever seen.

His latest show isn't as funny as his last two, but still very good.

The DVD of it is very funny, but what really makes it, is that the entire right-hand side of the theatre seem to not get what he's going on about and it makes it even funnier as he tries to win their approval (in a post-modern ironic sense, of course)...

Dan

He did that at the show I saw as well. I think he did it on every show of the tour, but it was well executed.

Lee Mack.

Or, and this will irk Aaron, Rob Deering.

He's annoying and highly unfunny, but as long as it's not my money being spent on tickets, heyho!

Another vote for Mack, now Mick mentions it. The guy live is one of the funniest people I've ever seen. It's manic and brilliant.

Dan