Going to see stand-up Page 16

I want to try and catch Chris Addison when he's near(ish) me in July. Not sure about the old bank funds yet though :)
I saw the Ha Ha Boys doing Ha Ha Hamlet last week - it's not stand up, but a semi improvised, comic rendition of Hamlet. It was surprisingly good - there were only about 40 people in the theatre and they had everyone joining in and acting like idiots. It was a bit panto, but worth seeing them.
I saw Mark Watson about 6 weeks ago, he was fantastic. It was a tiny, intimate theatre and he wandered about between the seats and things. Really nice evening.
I saw Dylan Moran a few months back and he was very very funny, but we got the distinct impression that he wasn't enjoying it and couldn't wait to get out.
I've got tickets to see Shappi Khorsandi in July, which I'm quite excited about.
I'm going to my usual lovely comedy heaven on Sunday - the Comedy Store to see the Players. Half of them are away touring the Middle East, but Paul Merton is back for a few dates (he's been away from it for a couple of months). That's always good fun.
I saw HIGNFY being filmed a couple of weeks back, which was a really good episode and I've got tickets again for next week, but I can't go. Sadly I'm in Holland on a work trip, although the person organising it wants to take us to Boom Chicago - Amsterdam's 'best comedy club' apparently. So that might be interesting. Stand up in clogs! :)

Saw Robin Ince, Sarah Millican and Lucy Porter at Leicester Square Theatre.

Robin Ince didn't really do it for me,
Sarah Millican was awesome (you must go see her)
Lucy Porter, was as good as ever.

Now I have no booked Comedy shows left to go to, can people recommend any up and comers?

D

As I have not as yet plugged him on this thread, why not check out...?

http://www.paulsinha.com/

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 21 2009, 9:37 PM BST

As I have not as yet plugged him on this thread, why not check out...?

http://www.paulsinha.com/

I remember seeing him about 10 years ago at the Cosmic comedy club.
I'll have to check out his more recent stuff, I'd forgotten all about him.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ June 21 2009, 9:43 PM BST

I remember seeing him about 10 years ago at the Cosmic comedy club.
I'll have to check out his more recent stuff, I'd forgotten all about him.

Jesus, I was still doing stand-up then! (Paul and I started around the same time. I remember the Cosmic well, I won a new stand-up competition there once. As I was there most weeks, the law of averages prevailed.) His style of comedy (and his delivery) is unrecognisable compared with then. (He doesn't do his Aberfan joke anymore.)

He's now a full-time international comedian and was nominated for the iF award a few years ago. Looking forward to seeing his new full-length show.

Quote: Tim Walker @ June 21 2009, 10:20 PM BST

I remember the Cosmic well, I won a new stand-up competition there once. As I was there most weeks, the law of averages prevailed.)

I may well have you seen you perform sometime.
The Astro Bar next door used to be my local and from time to time I used to work in the Cosmic club in the Box office/Cloakroom.

The only stand up comp I remember seeing myself was won by Paul Foot, I think Arthur Smith compered.
So I don't remember seeing your moment of glory unfortunately.
:D

I pardon you.

Well, small world.

The Cosmic in those days really was the best place for stand-up on the Fulham Palace Road (being the only place for stand-up on the Fulham Palace Road).

Yey... look where I'm going tonight.

http://www.leicestersquaretheatre.com/events.asp?eventid=165&categoryid=1

28 stand ups... each with 3 minutes each!

Edit - link no longer works.

It was The Fast Fringe. 28 acts trying out some of their routines in 3 minutes ready for Edinburgh Festival.

This was soooooo good last night. There were some really bad ones though...

Stephen K Amos was brilliant though. :)

Jeez, how bad were the bad ones then?

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 7 2009, 10:54 AM BST

Jeez, how bad were the bad ones then?

Cringey. I hate to say it but two of them were women trying to sing. Grrrr

And one very strange act of someone wearing a very skin tight pair of tights... and he was a guy.

As long as you didn't have to endure a "comedy" juggler...

My fave standup comedians:

1. Dylan Moran
2. Eddie Izzard
3. Bill Bailey
4. Bill Hicks
5. Stewart Lee
6. Sean Lock

I'm seeing Rhys Darby at The Bloomsbury Theatre followed by Wil Anderson at the Riverside Studios and Simon Amstell in October.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ July 7 2009, 11:53 AM BST

My fave standup comedians:

1. Dylan Moran
2. Eddie Izzard

Fail.