TILT - topical Radio 7 comedy Page 9

Yeah - it's to do with the news story last week that sausages can cause cancer - or at least I presumed it was.

Quote: zooo @ April 3 2008, 11:56 PM BST

I remember them!

Me too. And not in a good way. Not in a good way at all.

Quote: sootyj @ April 3 2008, 11:57 PM BST

n.b. ecclestone managed to be sleazy offensive, and unfunny, I thought only I did that

Laughing out loud

Ha!

Yeah, that episode didn't make me laugh much. Last week's was better.

Quote: zooo @ April 3 2008, 11:59 PM BST

Ha!

Yeah, that episode didn't make me laugh much. Last week's was better.

Struggling to remember anything that made me laugh. And it only been one minute

I quite liked the idea of the 'Harry is officially better looking' sketch.

It's depressing to send sketches and be deemed worse than some of them!

Ho hum - I'll tell myself that sending them 5 minutes before the deadline probably didn't help.

And even the passable skits, were sloppy and poorly put together.

Quote: Winterlight @ April 3 2008, 4:38 PM BST

I take it my Apprentice sketch didn't get in, Griff?

I sent these spoof headlines as well:

Cameron's Bike Actually Very Thin Car
Tescos To Stock Organic Leonard Nimoy
Gordon Brown Tells Heron "Peck This!"
NHS Merges With BHS, Sale Now On
Fire Eater Steals Olympic Flame, Games In Doubt

I love the last 1. Havent heard the show yet. Here was my input that didnt get anywhere: One Liners:

1. Masked shopkeeper robs customer at gunpoint.

2. Atlantic Ocean arrested for drowning a man.

3. Two women give birth to same baby.

Longer Sketches:

1. Tranquil Sounds CD Advert

Finally, the relaxation you deserve in your very own home with this double cd set. Experience a babbling brook in your kitchen or a summer meadow in your living room, providing a relaxing backdrop to soothing tones. Tranquil Sounds is not available in shops or even by credit card, In fact; you cannot buy it at all. This is just an ad to brag that I have it... and you don't.

END.

2. Main Street Bank Advert

VOICE: Main Street Bank. The bank you can trust. We will not be beaten on mortgages, loans or savings accounts. For all your financial needs, trust Main Street Bank.

TERMS & CONDITIONS VOICE:
Main Street Bank is a subsidary of Town Bank and is in no way affiliated with Village Bank, Suburb Bank or Backdoor Bank. Main Street Bank is a licensed bank. If you do not keep up repayments you may lose you hair. Main Street Bank is a legitimate bank, Main Street Bank is not a legitimate bank, Main Street Bank is not a bank. Terms and Conditions apply.

END.

3. VIRUS REPORT

NEWSCASTER: A new virus appears to be sweeping the nation. The virus results in people only being able to speak half of each sentence. Doctors investigating the illness have christened it 'Only being able to speak half a sentence syndrome' and at least sixty million people are not believed to be affected but there are a few people who are.
We interviewed a man with the illness but we couldn't make any sense of what he was saying. However, the Minister for Viruses held a press conference within the last hour and had this to say:

MINISTER: (Sounds under pressure) I would just like to clarify right here and now that there is absolutely no need for panic. While I admit the virus did spread a lot quicker than we had first anticipated we have now contained the virus. All the people affected with the virus have now been quarantined and are receiving....

Latest results suggest we are not...... Recent tests have found what we....... So with these results we know we are...... Thank.......

END.

I can't see the point of one-liners here -- where are they on the show? Have I missed them or are they not there? Did anyone else notice them?

Otterfox

Like the bank and CDs sketches.

Dan

Quote: Barbs @ April 4 2008, 12:04 AM BST

It's depressing to send sketches and be deemed worse than some of them!

Ho hum - I'll tell myself that sending them 5 minutes before the deadline probably didn't help.

Completely agree. Some of the stuff I read on here was much better that what went out. Also the children's news is getting to be annoying.

Quote: swerytd @ April 4 2008, 9:13 AM BST

I can't see the point of one-liners here -- where are they on the show? Have I missed them or are they not there? Did anyone else notice them?

No, its strange that they specifically ask for them and don't do any. Some of the ones on here were better than some of the whole sketches last time.

I agree. the original steer was to imagine headlines between the news at ten bongs, so what did we get? The under two's and the bleeding wombles! Thankfully the wombles didn't resurface week two, but the under two's did. It's just so childish, quite literally. Week one was a good show overall because for the few odd weak bits there was also some very good material. The lawyers phone in, the statebook ad, etc. This week, no advertisements at all, just revisiting Terminal 5 every few minutes and a bunch of other stuff that was for the most part, unmemorable, lacking both in pace and dynamics, and, most of all, humour. The atmosphere at the recording was very flat too and I am sure the performers knew it.

I'm guessing the week one recording contained a few bits from the 'taster' session a few weeks ago in addition to the recording, whereas the recording you saw was the whole show in a single recording. On first listen I thought it was weaker this week and can see what they're trying to do with the 'running' gag; it adds a bit of structure/familiarity to the show. But that doesn't necessarily make it funnier. For what it's worth, headliners at the very beginning and the ad-breaks would break it up a bit and make it enjoyable. Short sketches and quickies mixture would make it easier to enjoy. Long sketch followed by long sketch is quite difficult to get into and that's what I felt it was like. I will listen again to it later to see if I'm being unjust but most people probably wouldn't give it that chance.

Dan

Last week, they had joke local news headlines, but they seemed to have been ditched this week. A shame, as I went for:

Medway News: Mayor reveals ambitious twin town plan
Medway Observer: New York rejects Gillingham offer

Swansea Times: Local paper sucks sub editors

I was at both Dan, and believe me, the difference in atmosphere was vast. Maybe it was the venue, though the Radio Theatre has been host to some very good shows down the years. I would go as far as to say that of all the recordings I have been to, and there have been many, Wednesday night was the flattest show by far of any of them. Hugely disappointing giving the promising start of week one at Up the Creek.

Looking at the timeslot I'm hoping the are using this run to get the right mix and blend. The first one was good, the second one not so. Hopefully they would have got a better picture from both.