TILT - topical Radio 7 comedy Page 3

I thought over half of it was funny. Huzzah.

Nice one Griff.

I heard Griff's name in it, well done mate, what sketch was yours mate?

Well this is probably biting the hand before it feeds me - or even considers doing so - but I wasn't really impressed.

The local paper headlines is not very original. In fact there was nothing that actually made me laugh.

Quote: Griff @ March 27, 2008, 11:59 PM

Hey the news monster was mine - and I've never seen Futurama!!

NB my sketch was changed a bit from what I submitted - not better or worse, but a bit different.

Well done though.

I was trying to listen for names I knew.

Seems that most of us are of the same opinion.

Largely mediocre.

A handful of funny stuff, but not really laugh-out-loud and generally didn't feel right. Sketches dragged on. Not a high enough gag-rate to keep my attention for radio.

And sorry Griff, but I really can't remember yours. Was listening specifically for your name though!

Well grats to Griff, definitly...

Very futurama like but it just means you indenpendatly came up with the same idea as an internationally famous TV show and if your on the same wave length as those guys can only be a good thing... Well done fella.

Not my cup of tea at all to be honest... but have heard worse.

Quote: Aaron @ March 28, 2008, 12:04 AM

Seems that most of us are of the same opinion.

Largely mediocre.

Or are we just hard to please?

Quote: Griff @ March 27, 2008, 11:59 PM

Hey the news monster was mine - and I've never seen Futurama!!

NB my sketch was changed a bit from what I submitted - not better or worse, but a bit different.

Wow a whole skit, most impressed, and if you haven't seen Futurama thats a pretty good skit.

n.b. the one bedratted thing they asked for, 7 word news head lines they didn't use at all. So that means my entries were either wasted, or so bad they decided to dump the whole genre.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 28, 2008, 12:09 AM

Or are we just hard to please?

Does it matter? Opinion is opinion. :)

Didn't they do some headlines at the very end? I didn't hear that bit properly though.

Joke local news ones, mine were off front page topical.

Wow I suck enough to kill a whole genre, that makes me worse than Mantovani.

incidentally these were mine

Cameron's bike problems, it keeps turning right

Boris and Ken Bury Hatchet, announce their wedding

Dole scrounger works in Afghanistan, Prince Harry interviewed.

Masochist me sticking them up

From memory the toddler news one was in Play and Record as well (although not the exact same sketch).

My favourite sketch was probably the phone-in host with Tanya from Eastenders, and overall I thought the show itself was alright, some sketches did drag on for a teeny bit too long and didn't go out on a high, but I'd listen again.

I'm confused by the headlines as well, I'm not sure where exactly they were meant to be or what their true style was (my uneducated guess says they may have been the local paper ones at the end).

I didnt know you could listen online. I just resigned myself to the fact that living in Ireland meant I was outside the loop. I did however stand on the east coast and strain my ears but all I heard were waves.

It wasnt a half hour of waves was it? Cos if it was I heard everything!javascript:add_emoticon('Laughing out loud')
Laughing out loud

Griff -- congrats on getting stuff on there. It did get a laugh out of me, for what it's worth. I'm not a massive Futurama nut though (except for the 'Schnoo-schnoo' episode). I'm glad someone from here's got on.

Splodge is correct about the toddler news being used on Play & Record and the Alec Guiness playing 'Michael Hulk' was an extension of a (good) P&R sketch too (though I'm pretty sure it's from a non-commissioned writer as I met him at the original recording and his name was at the end of this).

For what it's worth, I did enjoy it. It sounded better put together than P&R but sounded *very* like Recorded For Training Purposes (pretty sure some of the voices are the same -- maybe that's why!) ie. 'Statebook' (very funny, I thought) would have fitted easily into RFTP.

Yeah, agree that the 'headliners' are a bit confusing. Like sooty's mine were front-page/top item news items. The local bit suggests they want *really* mundane suggestions sent in for the humour, which wasn't really what they asked for, in my opinion.

I did enjoy the show though, contrary to the general opinion on here. It is on *very* late though, especially for someone like me who's getting on a bit...

Actually, as an afterthought (and edit) it's important that BBC7's new stuff is well-received and successful as that will get them to commission new stuff in this vein and new stuff means new writers.

Dan

I was surpised at how un-topical it was. I never submitted any stuff because I thought it would all be bang up to date topical stuff, but it was pretty general. Not bad, but it'll improve once I've sent them some stuff.