Graham Linehan Page 6

It must be so difficult being cancelled. Graham has decided his career has been cancelled so much, he's been given a publishing deal to write at length about how he's been cancelled and can't get any writing work:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/news/7532/graham-linehan-memoir/

Sounds quite interesting, I might give it a read. Encouraging to see positive quotes about Linehan's book from Jonathan Ross and Richard Ayoade.

The man deserves a break!

Of course he does Herc. These trans activists are nasty people.
Even Starmer is frightened to say a woman is an adult female - he's conceded that 99% of women don't have a penis (sooo close)

Quote: Aaron @ 28th August 2023, 10:23 PM

Ideas should be exposed and argued, not silenced.

I agree wholeheartedly. Plus, the idea of discontinuing to like Linehan's work based on his moral stance (which, to my mind, has consisted of the impassioned pointing out of biological fact, supporting the safety of women and children in their respective spaces and a revolt against the bodily mutilation of adolescents and paedophile cover-ups) seems to be more emblematic of the individual's tedium than Linehan's "fall from grace". Silencing and cancelling is just the coward's way out of not putting up a substantial (and meaningful) argument. End of periodical rant.

Quote: a plate @ 13th September 2023, 9:05 PM

Encouraging to see positive quotes about Linehan's book from Jonathan Ross and Richard Ayoade.

Both now collateral damage ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12517239/trans-activists-cancel-richard-ayoade-jonathan-ross-graham-linehans-book.html

Trans woman and broadcaster India Willoughby posted online: 'Well that's Richard Ayoade in the bin, along with already confirmed TERF [trans-exclusionary radical feminist] Jonathan Ross.

'What is wrong with these people?'

He doesn't do irony.

He's been cancelled but he's got a book coming out? That's some cancelling.

I hope for his sake he doesn't call the book tour "Cancelled"
Could cause some confusion.
Not to mention the odd sigh of relief.

Skimming through what's on TV. Aah Father Ted. Nothing better!

Quote: chipolata @ 14th September 2023, 6:10 PM

He's been cancelled but he's got a book coming out? That's some cancelling.

He's been cancelled as a comedy screenwriter, you're being disingenuous I'm so tired of this argument.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th September 2023, 10:46 PM

I hope for his sake he doesn't call the book tour "Cancelled"
Could cause some confusion.
Not to mention the odd sigh of relief.

I like Linehan. Not only is he a genius comedy writer, he has the guts to stick his head above the parapet and speak out, at great personal cost. Not many people in the industry do that. They either fall into whichever line seems to the the populist one or they hide.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 25th August 2023, 10:16 PM

I'm not an expert on the whole Lineham debacle but it seems like he's trying to defend a group of people who don't want or need his defence and his opinions only make what is an already difficult life to live more difficult for the very people he argues he's trying to protect. I have sympathy for his marriage breaking down and wouldn't wish that on anyone but he's his own worst enemy.

He's standing up for women's rights in the face of the push for Self ID of sex. I for one am extremely grateful to him for it, as are thousands of other women.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 28th August 2023, 12:51 PM

I think you may have got that wrong, yes. He's said some very fierce stuff, likening transgender people to Nazis etc far worse than anything Rowling has said.
It's a real shame. He was one of my favourite comedy writers before. He's totally destroyed his own reputation.

You're going to need to provide evidence for that I'm afraid, otherwise it's just defaming BS

It's heartening to see a lot of common sense on here and depressing to see the people who've just drunk the Kool Aid and believe stuff because someone else told them it happened. Look for the evidence, find out the facts, don't just believe any old bullshit. I was working with a young actress a couple of years ago and the subject of JK Rowing came up. This young actress was calling her all the names under the sun so I asked her what JK Rowling had done. She replied "I don't know, but I know it's bad". What's happened to us? We're incapable of critical thinking and it shows in what's being commissioned and the kind of stand up that's being done.
It's exactly like the situation going on in Gaza. If you're appalled by Palestinian civilians being blown up you're anti semitic. In this case, if you're pro women's rights, you're a transphobe. What are we? Three year olds? If anyone is screaming "No debate" about something you can bet your life it's because the subject will crumble under daylight.

Well said, Hildegard. As I've said before on these fourms: people are not taught to think for themselves anymore; they are, instead, taught what to think.

Quote: Hildegard @ 26th October 2023, 7:10 PM

He's standing up for women's rights in the face of the push for Self ID of sex.

Where's Stuart Lee when you need him :D He could spend 20 minutes deconstructing that.

A man standing up for women's rights isn't in the least bit patronising to you? He's not exactly gone about it the right way with the harassment and getting himself banned from social platforms. It's nothing to do with silencing free speech it's all about telling someone when they are being ignorant and lacking in tolerance. He knows nothing about the trans community which I think is a big reason why he hasn't been taken seriously. His concerns don't exist and if they did it wouldn't need a heterosexual sitcom writer to bring it to the worlds attention. I think Graham Linehan has been foolish with his approach and if he was sincere he would have gone down the proper channels. Ranting on twitter is not the proper channels.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 8:44 PM

Where's Stuart Lee when you need him :D He could spend 20 minutes deconstructing that.

A man standing up for women's rights isn't in the least bit patronising to you? He's not exactly gone about it the right way with the harassment and getting himself banned from social platforms. It's nothing to do with silencing free speech it's all about telling someone when they are being ignorant and lacking in tolerance. He knows nothing about the trans community which I think is a big reason why he hasn't been taken seriously. His concerns don't exist and if they did it wouldn't need a heterosexual sitcom writer to bring it to the worlds attention. I think Graham Linehan has been foolish with his approach and if he was sincere he would have gone down the proper channels. Ranting on twitter is not the proper channels.

So, a man could deconstruct a woman saying she feels Linehan is standing up for her rights? It's a moebius strip of irony 😂😂😂
Who do you mean when you say 'trans community'? He's challenging the TRAs. The vicious men who threaten women with comments like 'suck my lady dick' and threaten rape and doxx them and find out where they work and get them fired? Is that the trans community or is that a group of violent misogynistic fetishists who just want all women's rights?
I know plenty of trans people and none of them behave like that. These TRAs are damaging genuine trans folk who just want to go about their business.
Thanks for the explanation about women's rights though, I'll be sure to ask Stewart Lee what I should be thinking.