Graham Linehan Page 4

Of course he can.
As can the management of comedy clubs.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th August 2023, 9:40 PM

I'm watching the IT Crowd on Channel 4 Extra.

He was a genius. They were brilliant s well as Father Ted. Can he not have an opinion?

I'm not an expert on the whole Lineham debacle but it seems like he's trying to defend a group of people who don't want or need his defence and his opinions only make what is an already difficult life to live more difficult for the very people he argues he's trying to protect. I have sympathy for his marriage breaking down and wouldn't wish that on anyone but he's his own worst enemy.

Should we be starting a thread on Alice Cooper?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th August 2023, 10:01 AM

Should we be starting a thread on Alice Cooper?

Knock yourself out, Billy.

Quote: chipolata @ 26th August 2023, 10:31 AM

Knock yourself out, Billy.

I've no idea what that means - other than literally of course, which I might find a little difficult. But I'm sure there are plenty of others who would happily take on the job.

Quote: gappy @ 4th April 2022, 9:23 AM

My impression is that, had Linehan in fact been a trans ally rather than trans sceptic, the outcomes would have been the same. What we see is the result of his obsession rather than of his opinion.

I'll preface this by saying I still love his work and still admit its influence on parts of my own writing.

But...

I feel like Gappy here way back on Page 2 (and over a year ago) hit the nail on the head here. By his own admission his obsession cost him his marriage and his home life, and also his career. He's indeed a liability. His former brother in law (James Serafinowicz, don't know about Peter) at one point and finally told him publicly to calm down on Twitter (and tweeted to someone else that the family had tried talking to him for years).

He trawled dating apps (who advertise on registration that they are trans friendly/allow trans people there) and posted pictures of the people there claiming they're trying to trick women or whatever. Calls anyone who is vaguely an ally or friend to trans people "groomers" (implying they're peaedophiles). Claimed to be railing against men who "speak over women" yet shouted down the many women who are fine with trans people.

Trying not to say this pejoratively, but the man is in deep need of therapy. Not for his opinions, but his behaviour.

What he needs isn't therapy, it's a smack in the gob. (Not from me, I'm smaller than him)

You can't get that on the NHS Beaky, otherwise the powerful would use it to save on their dominatrix bills.

Given most Olympic gold medals and comedic fame normally require obsession, not sure that's the rout cause. Surly it's when people impose their ignorant and unwanted obsession on you ? E.g. Putin, racism, grammar police etc... what's wrong with areas of grey / gray ?

I wish someone, at least, would spell his name right....................

If language is about communication Herc, isn't the fact you know who he is, job done ? I'd value your opinion on that point as I always thought Art (and comedy) was more about imperfection.

Oh yes, Furking - couldn't agree more, Horc

Quote: beaky @ 27th August 2023, 10:24 AM

What he needs isn't therapy, it's a smack in the gob.

Yes, because that's the way to deal with anyone who holds a different opinion.

This isn't something I've followed that closely either, but didn't he speak up mainly to defend J K Rowling in a sort of chivalric gesture or have I got that wrong? I thought he was making the point that the people who were haranguing her and forcing uni lecturers out of their jobs are bigots the same as racists are.

Reading articles involving others I've seen that the same vehement protesters about these things have also protested against banning so called hate preachers or speakers aligned with prohibited political groups, so they're a bit pic n choosey on free speech. I think the laws on hate crime have really muddied the waters now, making a lot of (it seems younger, angrier) people think that anyone with strong opinions opposing their own should be shut down as a spreader of hate/hate criminal.

Cancel culture is a modern age menace born of social media, imoo.

Quote: Firkin @ 28th August 2023, 7:00 AM

You can't get that on the NHS Beaky, otherwise the powerful would use it to save on their dominatrix bills.

😁Good one Firky.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th August 2023, 10:39 AM

This isn't something I've followed that closely either, but didn't he speak up mainly to defend J K Rowling in a sort of chivalric gesture or have I got that wrong?

I think you may have got that wrong, yes. He's said some very fierce stuff, likening transgender people to Nazis etc far worse than anything Rowling has said.
It's a real shame. He was one of my favourite comedy writers before. He's totally destroyed his own reputation.

See that's where things get twisted. He didn't liken all transgender people to Nazis but the intolerant militant ones.