Graham Linehan Page 5

Quote: beaky @ 27th August 2023, 10:24 AM

What he needs isn't therapy, it's a smack in the gob.

Reported

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2023, 8:52 AM

I wish someone, at least, would spell his name right....................

Sorry. I thought he was Des's brother.

LINEHAN

Quote: Chappers @ 25th August 2023, 9:40 PM

I'm watching the IT Crowd on Channel 4 Extra.

He was a genius. They were brilliant s well as Father Ted. Can he not have an opinion?

Unfortunately, the 'controversial' episode with a trans character, 'The Speech', isn't on Channel 4 Extra (series 3, episode 4). That's the only episode missing from the Channel 4 Extra thing. It's a shame if the only way to see this episode from now on will be on DVD. Perhaps it'll be a sought-after collectors item one day..!

She came from Iran?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 18th August 2023, 10:39 PM

Nothing. Nothing happened to freedom of speech, as proved by the fact that Linehan was freely able to do the gig out on the street. What Linehan experienced was the consequences of his freedom of speech.

Hang on - this is revisionist nonsense. This is absolutely not what happened.

He was stopped from performing comedy not for the content of that comedy; nor was he criticised for it after the fact; but was pre-emptively shut down and censored simply because of who he is and opinions he holds. Those opinions may have had little or no relation to the material he intended to perform.

Never, in the course of human history, have censors - particularly those censoring artistic creativity and expression - been on the side of that which is right and just.

Who remembers all the BNP panic 10-15 years ago? Who remembers how it all disappeared almost overnight and they lost all those councillors once Nick Griffin had been given the cleansing spotlight of Question Time with which to hang himself? Ideas should be exposed and argued, not silenced.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th August 2023, 8:52 AM

I wish someone, at least, would spell his name right....................

Hoorah.........

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 28th August 2023, 12:51 PM

It's a real shame. He was one of my favourite comedy writers before. He's totally destroyed his own reputation.

Why, by having an opinion that doesn't match his left leaning casually arty image? How much of a fan were you? He's not anti gay, he writes almost exclusively for C4, the lefty cosmopolitan lot who cater solely for the under 40s. His work is over rated imo, but it's obvious he's good at it and it pleases many. Do you think all artists have to have only left leaning views?

Interesting article in Chortle about Graham Linehan and Comedy Unleashed.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/correspondents/2023/08/25/54015/the_graham_linehan_episode_has_proved_that_comedy_unleashed_are_just_as_mediocre_as_the_stand-up_mainstream

I started to read this but it did go on. I'm not dismissing it; just pointing out I've got other things to do.

What exactly is Comedy Unleashed? I've never actually heard of it before.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th August 2023, 7:22 AM

What exactly is Comedy Unleashed? I've never actually heard of it before.

It's a comedy club night strand that books purely on what it deems to be the funniness and talent of comics, not caring what opinions they have, their politics or social views. Consequently it attracts a number of comedians who've been "cancelled" for wrongthink elsewhere.

They're based at Bethnal Green's Backyard venue but their popularity has seen them starting to expand and run small tours over the last year or so.

In other words they have an agenda, just like everyone else.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th August 2023, 11:52 PM

Why, by having an opinion that doesn't match his left leaning casually arty image? How much of a fan were you? He's not anti gay, he writes almost exclusively for C4, the lefty cosmopolitan lot who cater solely for the under 40s. His work is over rated imo, but it's obvious he's good at it and it pleases many. Do you think all artists have to have only left leaning views?

The main reason he's trashed his reputation is that he's stopped writing and is now concentrating on whatever it is he's doing now.

And I'd say it's because he's offended the dominant creative and performing artist clique where only like minded lefties are allowed. And they have destroyed his reputation, not him. A lot of them won't work with Rowling anymore, or at least say they won't. They'll have to move to the States where they'll be welcomed with open arms by the industry. What's going on here seems to be a revival of McCarthyism with different political motives.

I'm with Jenny Ryan from the Chase on Graham Linehan:

"He says he got cancelled by the Fringe then he gets a column in the Telegraph to whinge about it.... It's not that he's cancelled. He's boring.'

The Vixen's right. He's just become a tedious anti-trans bore.

Quote: chipolata @ 29th August 2023, 11:53 AM

I'm with Jenny Ryan from the Chase on Graham Linehan:

"He says he got cancelled by the Fringe then he gets a column in the Telegraph to whinge about it.... It's not that he's cancelled. He's boring.'

The Vixen's right. He's just become a tedious anti-trans bore.

That and as I said on the last page, he trawled dating apps posting the pictures of people on there (he may still do that), and libels people as paedophiles.

To me it's deeper than merely "his opinions", it's his actions. If he hadn't been so vehement in doing those things he wouldn't have had the night (and therefore everyone else's sets) cancelled.

The venue had Comedy Unleashed booked (a tour/group/org that they'd know ran the gamut of political opinions) until they found out he was on the bill.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th August 2023, 11:52 PM

I am perfectly happy with people not having "left leaning casually arty" views (whatever that means) but am not happy with people having aggressively transphobic views and behaving how he has done.
He hasn't written for Channel 4 for a decade, so your eccentric views about the channel aren't relevant here.