Graham Linehan Page 7

I wasn't offering you an explanation about women's rights I was just sharing my opinion about Graham Linehan. There's really no need to be passive aggressive. We can have different opinions without sneering at each other.

I don't do passive aggression, it's a waste of energy. I prefer plain, honest aggression.
It always amazes me when people focus on how he harasses people and completely fail to notice the vile abuse he receives. He's acknowledged he made mistakes when he first found himself in the TRAs crosshairs. Lately he hasn't said anything that isn't provably true.

He doesn't deserve the abuse he's received there is no excuse for that but this kind of thing can take a long time to blow over if ever. People like Linehan and Roseanne and all those other people that have posted something on social media that went viral for the wrong reasons. I think alcohol can play a part and prevent someone from realising that hitting the submit button is probably a bad idea and to sleep on it instead.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 9:27 PM

He doesn't deserve the abuse he's received there is no excuse for that but this kind of thing can take a long time to blow over if ever. People like Linehan and Roseanne and all those other people that have posted something on social media that went viral for the wrong reasons. I think alcohol can play a part and prevent someone from realising that hitting the submit button is probably a bad idea and to sleep on it instead.

Hang on a minute, are you saying that people can only believe what Linehan believes if they're drunk or that people shouldn't post what they honestly believe to avoid being eviscerated by a mob of activists? Neither of those suggestions are acceptable.
Believing that humans can't change sex is a protected belief under the Equality Act 2010. Are you saying that people shouldn't be able to express that view publicly?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 9:13 PM

We can have different opinions without sneering at each other.

Have you ever read the I read the news today oh boy! thread?

Quote: Hildegard @ 26th October 2023, 9:39 PM

Hang on a minute, are you saying that people can only believe what Linehan believes if they're drunk or that people shouldn't post what they honestly believe to avoid being eviscerated by a mob of activists? Neither of those suggestions are acceptable.
Believing that humans can't change sex is a protected belief under the Equality Act 2010. Are you saying that people shouldn't be able to express that view publicly?

Nope, that's not what I meant and why would I suggest people can only believe what Linehan believes if they're drunk? Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

It's obvious to everyone that we can't change sex but this isn't about changing biological sex. It's about gender identity which is an area Linehan has little or zero experience or involvement in.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 10:01 PM

It's obvious to everyone that we can't change sex

Isn't this exactly what TRAs are saying though? This seems to be the crux of most of the arguments as far as I can tell.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 10:01 PM

Nope, that's not what I meant and why would I suggest people can only believe what Linehan believes if they're drunk? Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

It's obvious to everyone that we can't change sex but this isn't about changing biological sex. It's about gender identity which is an area Linehan has little or zero experience or involvement in.

Sorry, it's you who's really mistaken on this subject. It's about being able to ID as female/male and having that backed up as biological fact. Your comment that it's obvious to everyone that we can't change sex is enough to get you labelled transphobic and have the mob try to get you sacked, blacklisted, you name it.
Gender isn't real, it's just a set of made up societal expectations placed on men and women. People have been messing with gender forever - Bowie, Bolan, my teen years were full of androgynous performers. None of them demanded to be treated as the opposite sex. That's exactly what's happening now and that's exactly what Linehan has been debating about for years. It's why he's such a target; he's shining a spotlight on what's happening.

By the way, I was blacklisted by an extremely high profile casting director for saying I don't believe humans can change sex. I was also dumped by my agent who tried to force me to recant. I was accused of shitting on the soul of someone's trans child and dumped by lots of twitter peers. So, you see it is all about believing that people can be the sex they feel they are. That wouldn't actually be a problem if it wasn't for the men who get turned on by dressing as women demanding access to rape crisis centres, women's prisons, women's sports and our toilets. My friend was sacked for turning down the advances of a trans identifying man. She told him, as a lesbian, she wasn't attracted to penises. That was enough for a national charity to sack her. This stuff is happening in plain sight and yet, speaking up about it gets your life ruined. Seriously, look a bit deeper than you currently are.

Quote: Aaron @ 26th October 2023, 10:08 PM

Isn't this exactly what TRAs are saying though? This seems to be the crux of most of the arguments as far as I can tell.

Exactly.

Quote: Hildegard @ 26th October 2023, 10:23 PM

Sorry, it's you who's really mistaken on this subject. It's about being able to ID as female/male and having that backed up as biological fact. Your comment that it's obvious to everyone that we can't change sex is enough to get you labelled transphobic and have the mob try to get you sacked, blacklisted, you name it.
Gender isn't real, it's just a set of made up societal expectations placed on men and women. People have been messing with gender forever - Bowie, Bolan, my teen years were full of androgynous performers. None of them demanded to be treated as the opposite sex. That's exactly what's happening now and that's exactly what Linehan has been debating about for years. It's why he's such a target; he's shining a spotlight on what's happening.

By the way, I was blacklisted by an extremely high profile casting director for saying I don't believe humans can change sex. I was also dumped by my agent who tried to force me to recant. I was accused of shitting on the soul of someone's trans child and dumped by lots of twitter peers. So, you see it is all about believing that people can be the sex they feel they are. That wouldn't actually be a problem if it wasn't for the men who get turned on by dressing as women demanding access to rape crisis centres, women's prisons, women's sports and our toilets. My friend was sacked for turning down the advances of a trans identifying man. She told him, as a lesbian, she wasn't attracted to penises. That was enough for a national charity to sack her. This stuff is happening in plain sight and yet, speaking up about it gets your life ruined. Seriously, look a bit deeper than you currently are.

Exactly.

Why would you talk to an extremely high profile casting director about it? The idea is to be nice to them so they get you work and contacts.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 10:54 PM

Why would you talk to an extremely high profile casting director about it? The idea is to be nice to them so they get you work and contacts.

Seriously? That's your take from everything I've just written?
The casting director in question had tweeted an extremely misleading video, that had the context edited out. I pointed out the video had another part to it. That was it.

And be nice to casting directors so I can get work? I'm an actor, not a prostitute.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 10:54 PM

The casting director in question had tweeted an extremely misleading video, that had the context edited out. I pointed out the video had another part to it. That was it.

And be nice to casting directors so I can get work? I'm an actor, not a prostitute.

Quote: Hildegard @ 26th October 2023, 11:17 PM

It all sounded a bit tinfoil hat to be honest and you have a very different view towards gender but that's ok. We can leave it there and it doesn't mean I have to look deeper as you put it like you're the intellectually superior one and I'm wet behind the ears. It might just be because I would rather kill myself than continue :D

A jobbing actor/writer with morals.....There's got to be a sitcom in that!

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th October 2023, 11:35 PM

It all sounded a bit tinfoil hat to be honest and you have a very different view towards gender but that's ok. We can leave it there and it doesn't mean I have to look deeper as you put it like you're the intellectually superior one and I'm wet behind the ears. It might just be because I would rather kill myself than continue :D

A jobbing actor/writer with morals.....There's got to be a sitcom in that!

You clearly do need to look deeper because your version of what's really happening is way off kilter. Go on Twitter and say humans can't change sex then come back and tell me how it went. It's nothing to do with being intellectually superior, it's to do with personal experience. Interesting that you see that as 'tin foil hat' stuff. Your comment about killing yourself is crass but 🤷‍♀️

There is a time and a place and twitter and social media in general is the last place to use if you want to do anything meaningful. The gutter press swarm around social media and it's the internet so it's always going to attract trolls no matter what the subject. Graham Linehan was making a big issue out of something that he didn't need to make any issue out of and it puts an unnecessary spotlight on an already marginalised community. He may have had the best intentions and there may be 'some' women that agree with him but I like to think the vast majority of women are more intelligent than that.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 27th October 2023, 12:14 AM

There is a time and a place and twitter and social media in general is the last place to use if you want to do anything meaningful. The gutter press swarm around social media and it's the internet so it's always going to attract trolls no matter what the subject. Graham Linehan was making a big issue out of something that he didn't need to make any issue out of and it puts an unnecessary spotlight on an already marginalised community. He may have had the best intentions and there may be 'some' women that agree with him but I like to think the vast majority of women are more intelligent than that.

So, we should let TRAs post lies and not respond? I'm struggling to see where you're coming from really. If you think people should be quiet about their opinions does that also apply to TRAs? And do me a favour - marginalised community? I've never seen a so-called marginalised community wield so much power 😂 Did you know the word homesexual is now deemed to be transphobic? It's not just women's rights that are being eroded...

Quote: Hildegard @ 26th October 2023, 9:19 PM

I don't do passive aggression, it's a waste of energy. I prefer plain, honest aggression.

Statement of the day. (and it made me laugh)