Coronavirus Page 51

Chip what did you expect? The entire cabinet has been chosen for its zealotry over Brexit and their willingness to follow Boris while ignoring the advice of experts.
They do not understand the logistics and clerical acumen required to turn an 'Idea' into a 'Plan' They instead outsource everything including the blame.
His Sunday address will be diluted , nothing specific will be the order of the day , because Cummings can't read the situation at present. The trouble he has is that he has is that up to now he has been collating date from Social Media and now he can't extrapolate the data because no algorithm exists to remove the 'Bots ' and other bogus elements.
Basically no one knows what the public will do including the public. How many are to scared to come out? Is it a massive majority or a group size that can be handed over to the Daily Mail to be pilloried and shamed and made yet another 'Enemy of the people'
Then he has the elderly to consider many of whom are in care homes and sheltered accommodation, how can help them as there is no truly centralised body when it comes to care homes they are in the main commercial entities run for profit.
Some are so tacky that the zero hours contract minimum wage workers are probably being told not to say anyone dead in their bed till the end of the calendar month so that they get the full rent and charges.
In a nutshell Johnson is no Churchill he is a Yeltsin, his oligarchs are Branson Murdoch Sir James Dyson and that f**kit who runs Wetherspoons. The states apparatus and the nations wealth and resources have all been sold and nothing works properly.
So we either pray for a Putin to restore the semblance of a state or we hold every action of the man and his cronies to account. The positive if there is one to take from this is that outsourcing has been exposed for what it is and more importantly what it isn't. And if Trump or any Yank think that any aspect of the NHS is up for grabs they can think again as no one would stand for it and Bojo knows it.

Average number of excess deaths in people's homes in the UK from Covid-19 in each of the seven weeks to 24 April:

(just under it actually)

(1,434 cases divided by 7 weeks)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/08/more-people-dying-at-home-during-covid-19-pandemic-uk-analysis

The story compares the total with the total for all additional deaths which is massively higher because of the lack of treatment for other conditions etc but I thought it was worthwhile doing the basic sum and then isolating the figure.

In that way we can all see it clearly.

It's now illegal to call it the "Chinese virus" in my city. I'm glad that officials are concentrating on what's important at a time like this: virtue signaling. I'm even more glad that I live a few feet outside of the city limits.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/05/08/san-antonio-city-council-passes-covid-19-anti-hate-resolution/

Quote: DaButt @ 8th May 2020, 7:37 PM

It's now illegal to call it the "Chinese virus" in my city. I'm glad that officials are concentrating on what's important at a time like this: virtue signaling. I'm even more glad that I live a few feet outside of the city limits.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/05/08/san-antonio-city-council-passes-covid-19-anti-hate-resolution/

Maybe you have too rosy a view of countries outside China?

I have now researched what happened in a lot of detail. There's (i) the illness and (ii) the strategy. Your Mr Shaman of Columbia University is very keen like many in our Imperial College to study the interactions between virus management and climate change policy. He and they regard the two things as running almost in parallel. As one of ours, Mr Grantham, said, there's a big silver lining (as people drop dead). It buys a further year to address Co2. Pretty much the first research - it was very early - which suggested that those without symptoms could be contagious was undertaken by Shaman of Columbia with Imperial on the Chinese experience between 10 and 23 January. Its conclusions were based on real people with symptoms and undocumented cases of those without them, ie guesstimates in a math model not about real people.

Then they sent that study across the world. Imperial were back in Italy, the first country in Europe to notice something was wrong, in February. In Vo to be precise. They tested a lot of folk in the small town and concluded that a number - around 60 I think - had Covid but no symptoms. The entire lot of them were locked up. Some got symptoms. Not all. At the end of the experiment, only two weren't seen to be cured. From this it was very arguably decided internationally that it was best to lock everyone up. Personally, I don't quite see the rationale. Italy had already imposed a widespread curfew as a knee jerk reaction - Conte is politically inexperienced and it was all, after all, new in Europe - but the Vo' research thing reinforced the China research thing and the world followed suit. It said to them everyone could be dangerous.

It may have been right, healthwise. It may have been wrong. Ferguson of Imperial stepped down with everyone focussing on the alleged hypocrisy of him breaking lockdown himself as he invited in his married lover but few commented on the fact that his bit on the side was a massive climate change activist at Avaaz. That to me was the biggest part of it. To think that there isn't a gigantic US-UK led climate change strand to all of this - reducing pollution etc - would be naive.

The UK even had a supposed test for Covid ready on the day BEFORE China released the full details of the virus genome as they see it (I don't) - 10 January : the very same day as the start of Shaman and Imperial's study period - although WHO largely went for a variation on the Malaysian test which was produced on 11 January. Check it out on Google. You will need to work your way through a lot of Chinese and Italian names of virus experts respectively but that is all window dressing which is designed to make you think it was all their research. Ultimately you will see who was playing the tune. It was us. I'm fully in favour of climate change policy - it is essential - but not when fear and manipulation are involved.

Hate crimes against the Chinese have gone up all over the world and we shouldn't really be fuelling that by calling it the Chinese Virus. And let's face it, your own President wrote the book on wasting time in the face of deadly pandemic (and in the process cost thousands of Americans their lives), so they're probably just following his lead.

Sooner or later (and it will probably be sooner), Boris is going to reduce the lockdown restrictions very significantly.

Millions of people and a huge number of businesses are going to be very happy indeed.

I have a feeling, however, that within a relatively short time of his doing that, the number of daily infections is going to rocket and the lid will be slammed back down on us with a resounding "clang!"

Quote: chipolata @ 8th May 2020, 10:19 PM

Hate crimes against the Chinese have gone up all over the world and we shouldn't really be fuelling that by calling it the Chinese Virus

How much did the Chinese Communist Party pay you to say that? ;)

The definition of "hate crime" has become watered down beyond recognition or usefulness if attaching a disease's origin to its popular name constitutes a hate crime. I'll bet the people living in the locations which were appended to Lyme Disease, the Spanish Flu, Ebola, MERS, etc. wish they had the deep pockets and well-oiled propaganda machine that the Chinese Communist Party possess.

Quote: chipolata @ 8th May 2020, 10:19 PM

And let's face it, your own President wrote the book on wasting time in the face of deadly pandemic (and in the process cost thousands of Americans their lives), so they're probably just following his lead.

Nope, they're all Democrats and did it to spite the president, if anything.

They should provide us all with our own personal bubbles to live in, ummm like John Travolta in that film.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 8th May 2020, 10:34 PM

I have a feeling, however, that within a relatively short time of his doing that, the number of daily infections is going to rocket and the lid will be slammed back down on us with a resounding "clang!"

It'll be hard to put that genie back in the bottle again.

Where does the resolution explicitly say the use of such terms is illegal?

Quote: Kenneth @ 9th May 2020, 3:00 AM

Where does the resolution explicitly say the use of such terms is illegal?

SECTION 3.
The City of San Antonio will continue its efforts to protect residents and targets and victims of hate, and to prosecute and curb hate acts related to COVID-19 in partnership with nonprofit organizations, the Bexar County District Attorney's Office, the San Antonio Police Department and other law enforcement partners.

It says "the deliberate use of terms such as "Chinese virus" or "Kung Fu virus" to describe COVID-19 only encourages hate crimes". Is that explicitly criminalizing the use of such terms?

Quote: DaButt @ 8th May 2020, 10:40 PM

How much did the Chinese Communist Party pay you to say that? ;)

The definition of "hate crime" has become watered down beyond recognition or usefulness if attaching a disease's origin to its popular name constitutes a hate crime. I'll bet the people living in the locations which were appended to Lyme Disease, the Spanish Flu, Ebola, MERS, etc. wish they had the deep pockets and well-oiled propaganda machine that the Chinese Communist Party possess.

Nope, they're all Democrats and did it to spite the president, if anything.

Chinese citizens across the world are no more responsible for their governments disgraceful actions than you are for yours. Hold the Chinese government to account by all means, don't legitimise hatred against the ordinary Chinese, though. And my second point was not about your tiresome Punch and Judy Republicans versus Democrats political system, it was about how your Commander in Chief wasted time in the face of a crisis so it's only natural that every other elected official you have will.

Quote: Kenneth @ 9th May 2020, 4:01 AM

It says "the deliberate use of terms such as "Chinese virus" or "Kung Fu virus" to describe COVID-19 only encourages hate crimes". Is that explicitly criminalizing the use of such terms?

Yes, it's early and my eyes haven't woken up yet but I didn't see anything explicitly categorising use of 'Chinese Virus' as a hate crime. I hope DaButt"s not spreading fake news.

I think the entire civilised world knows exactly why Trump would like this to be known as the china virus. https://www.newsandguts.com/video/msnbc-as-deaths-in-u-s-continue-a-look-at-trumps-words-on-virus/?fbclid=IwAR124HKRp_YPJZNea5smMyX3zHM8qOYVMQq7e9FWTDuOOJ5h5S8reaTHqhI

Yes,everything Trump says is a crock of shit.:)