Newsjack - Series 11 Page 14

Quote: StephenM @ 9th October 2014, 4:55 PM BST

Well the Ep 3 tweet has gone out. Any joy or are we under-represented again this episode?

I'm fortunate to have the good e-mail.

Quote: Otterfox @ 9th October 2014, 5:10 PM BST

Ah, I got something recorded but it didnt make the final cut. They didnt tell me what it was but it's a step in the right direction at least.

Well done for getting that far.

In previous series (S5 & S8) when I got the cut email, I replied to the email asking what it was and the producer told me. You could try that.

Are the credits listed for this week? I can't see them on the ep 3 page of the website. If people have a link, let me know.

Thanks Steve, and unlucky Otterfox - I have a suspicion mine might be a one-liner, which is exciting as it'd be my first one-liner credit

I'm in! Had forgotten about it till just now so I got the pleasure of finding out without the hours of stressful F5-ing beforehand. Hope it's one of the good ones!

Quote: Matt Fishwick @ 9th October 2014, 6:20 PM BST

Well done for getting that far.

In previous series (S5 & S8) when I got the cut email, I replied to the email asking what it was and the producer told me. You could try that.

Hey Matt, thanks so much for that. I'll email them immediately. Well done to all those who got something in.

I've had the good email. So that's a one-liner in Episode 1 and something in Episode 3 so far ...

Well done to everyone who's received ANY kind of email!

Two Breaking News items and a TV Listing. Extremely chuffed! :)

Quote: DavidE81 @ 9th October 2014, 10:59 PM BST

Two Breaking News items and a TV Listing. Extremely chuffed! :)

Wow, well done! Which ones?

And let me extend my congratulations to Nogget, notjosh and David. Especially David a triple credit - that's very good. Glad we've done a bit better for Ep 3.

Do let us know which ones were yours guys I'm always curious.

Thank you, Stephen and Crake!

My Breaking News items were "Google deleting naked pictures/Mrs Google" and "Cameron's speech/Thatcher's lucky knickers". My TV listing was the "Relocation, Relocation, Relocation, Relocation, Relocation" one.

What did other people get in?

Really well done to everyone who got in or got recorded - excellent episode I thought.

:D

Congrats, to the BDA!

I'm going to point out this old blog from Dan Tetsell as a interesting look at the change in philosophies of Newsjack from the early days:

http://tetsell.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/in-other-news/

(This is at least 3 years old)

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 10th October 2014, 3:16 PM BST

I'm going to point out this old blog from Dan Tetsell as a interesting look at the change in philosophies of Newsjack from the early days:

http://tetsell.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/in-other-news/

(This is at least 3 years old)

I had to pause the podcast when I got to that joke, overcome as I was by low-level pre-breakfast fury, and inspired to post (not something I do regularly). A "does a bear shit in the woods" joke. A bear shits in the woods. I'd thought we'd moved past those "Russell Crowe is an actual crow" moments, but apparently not.

It about sums up my current Newsjack malaise. It's getting harder and harder to justify the agonising time spent writing at the weekend if what actually happens is me spending hours deliberating over the placement and rhythm of words in a one-liner, only for them to go with "does a bear shit in the woods", a joke so hack that I'm not sure I've ever even heard it used in an unironic context.

I mean, I'm still going to write, and I don't want to discourage anyone, because I'm aware I deal badly with disappointment, especially the regimented weekly kind. But a bear shits in the woods? Does anyone have any tips for keeping motivated when there's such a massive gulf between what I find funny and what the producers apparently do? I managed to get a sketch and some one liners in Justin's final series but since then I've had nothing - is there anything else I can submit to as well?

Sorry for posting such an overwhelmingly negative first post, but that joke really gt to me. Yikes.

I wasn't having a go with that post - just when I heard that joke it struck me as curious because I remembered this old blog. It's curious how the philosophies have changed.

Hearing Charlie's and Arnab's vision for New Newsjack it makes a lot of sense. I liked old Newsjack because that was born out of the old sketch show idea of newbies - of give them a series of premises to help them think more creatively on taking a story, in a new way. And by series 9 it had become really, really strong. New Newsjack has a stronger premise and structurally more logical, it makes it easier to write for in some ways, and easier to listen too. Point is I like both and people haven't been very fair on New Newsjack; it took NJ a good few seasons to become really strong, and then it was reset a little when Miles left and Justin came in. I feel it got to it's strongest point by series 9. Now they've got a new host, new producers, new people involved in the show, it's going to take a couple of series for them to find top form. But as I said I like where they're going with it and I still love writing for it.

In regards to the one-liners there were some really good ones, I can imagine going through 2000+ one liners can wipe you out after a while, and I wonder how they choose their favourites. So that post wasn't a criticsm, more a look in the change of ideas of comedy between the early founders and the new gaurd.