Newsjack - Series 11 Page 12

Time to up our game given our massive success last week (one-liner between us although think Mr. S was too modest to say so on here!)

Ours were:
- George Osborne saying charities were anti-business
- Schools as 'exam factories'
- (Quickie) Politicians competing to say they love the NHS more

Nice one peeps, mine are

The woman who married herself
Tetris the movie

I went Top Gear and Womb Transplant.

What do people make of the 'mini-sketch'? The website says a 30 second 130 word max advert, but neither the first two episodes had anything like that that I could see?

I think they're expanding the adverts to being long sketches. I really struggled with ideas this week, but I did manage:
Left wing charities (co-written with Dan Sweryt)
John Lewis Apology
Quickie on Yahoo Snapchat investment

This series is proving as hard as the last to crack for me. My entries this week were:

Tamara Ecclestone not understanding toast
Disney song about a Frenchman marrying his stepmother
Advert for Adam Sandler's Netflix 4 picture deal

My two sketches were on:

Sherlock Holmes 1916 Silent Film.
Tesco Jet.

The Quickie was about Glastonbury.

If we all fail as badly as we did last week, I'd be up for collaborating on a submission if anyone's interested. Could be a good way to pool our talents and learn a bit from each other instead of spending the next week screaming at our own genitals in a mirror. Could be quite fun to do a completely random pairing each week maybe.

Out of interest when do you guys usually start your sketches for Monday's deadline? This weekend I did two sunday night that I edited Monday morning, and put together a quick mess in an hour at 11am.

[quote name="Nogget" post="1093277" date="3rd October 2014, 11:09 AM BST"]Not enjoying this series much. The absence of Lewis Macleod is hurting, and Romesh is uncomfortable in sketches. What's more, the choice of sketches is puzzling; why include that one about archive fighter-pilot sexism? Grindingly unfunny and lacking in all originality.
[/quot

Been submitting, attending, listening since day 1, think Lewis is great, told everyone that would listen (to me = men in white coats) he deserved his own show, but think Terry slotted in well, if naything miss Nadia and Pippa more. LOVED LOVED LOVED the stephen fry sketch last week, agreed on the fighter pilot one.

Can anyone remember the word Terry had trouble pronouncing last week in re-records?

Teary

Quote: ash williamson @ 6th October 2014, 3:21 PM BST

If we all fail as badly as we did last week, I'd be up for collaborating on a submission if anyone's interested. Could be a good way to pool our talents and learn a bit from each other instead of spending the next week screaming at our own genitals in a mirror. Could be quite fun to do a completely random pairing each week maybe.

Out of interest when do you guys usually start your sketches for Monday's deadline? This weekend I did two sunday night that I edited Monday morning, and put together a quick mess in an hour at 11am.

I would be happy to collaborate. :)

I usually write one or two on Saturday and then the remainder on Sunday, before sending them off that night. (Mainly because I have to get up at 4am on Monday morning to head off to work, and I don't have a lunch break until after the deadline.)

I also sent my one liners this morning, because I write them over the weekend, too. When I've got enough, I usually send them off. (I had a bit of a scan at the news this morning before they got sent for the last couple of spots free on my template.)

The theory behind this is that any I think of after this will be sent to NewsRevue. Of course, I've only seen the 1st two credits for NewsRevue this run, and I think they were for a month ago, so this strategy might not be paying off. (Time will probably tell.) *EDIT: 06/10/2014 16:18. Just seen the credits email for Weeks 3-5 on this run of NewsRevue. My plan has been unsuccessful.*

Last series I used to do a last minute check of my one liners on Tuesday lunchtime, but then they switched the deadline forward to noon.

Quote: Bonzo @ 6th October 2014, 3:33 PM BST

I would be happy to collaborate. :)

Me too.

I just did the one this week on the sixteen Darth Vader's running for parliamentary elections in the Ukraine. It also involves me trying to single handedly bring back an impression of Putin to the show.

I would be up for a collab Ash, in fact I was thinking about asking the very same thing when I saw your post. Although having got half a dozen (one liner) credits in the two previous series to Romesh taking over, I have also had a somewhat miserly time since.

I suppose we could just pick a topic (in critique?) chuck around a few ideas and see how it goes from there?

I only got one sketch ready in time this week on penis replacement surgery (I'm a 35 year old father of one...).

I'll happily collaborate with anyone who's interested, though I'm a shambolic mess who ends up hiding his sketch writing behind work and overusing ALT & TAB when the boss wanders by at 11.45 on a Monday.

Sketch on Ebola advice from the people who made the old "Protect and Survive" films and an Ad for a pill that cures your addition to watching Top Gear.

Been a bit under the weather this weekend so, after submitting the full complement for the first two weeks, I only managed the one sketch this week. It's about the study that says that height differences may be down to genetics.

Had ideas on Top Gear and the Taliban official misplaced by Twitter, but didn't get them finished to go.

Would certainly be up for collaboration. :)

EDIT: And just arranged packing Mrs JD off to her mums for this weekend, so I may get writing earlier than usual! (I'd put a smiley here but fear I may lose my knackers if she sees that!)

What is the accepted maximum number of writers per sketch? And does anyone know if it would change the allowance of permitted number of sketches sent? ie, if 3 people collaborated, could they send 6 sketches? (plus 3 mini sketches) :)