Newsjack - Series 11 Page 11

Quote: StephenM @ 2nd October 2014, 6:34 PM BST

Now I'm a double loser I've no cake pictures published or radio credits this week!

I've just seen your name on a tweet from the radio academy!

Busy day at work. Got an idea for a short story, so I started on that immediately after work and forgot to check the old email until I was backing up my story. And...

... Nothing for me, either.

At least I'm consistent. (For the last 5 shows.)

Quote: JimmyGoldsworthy @ 2nd October 2014, 7:58 PM BST

What's the etiquette for being overlooked; reveal all on here in one fell swoop, or drip feed your rejected one liners a day at a time on Twitter (I'm new to all this, see)?

I usually just post them to my website. (No one usually looks at them there, either.)

I think that people normally post in Critique section of the website, but I don't use that bit of the forum, so I don't know the exact etiquette.

Also, it's a little disappointing that they haven't published the names of the writers who made it onto the show on the website for either shows this series.

Or have they, and I've just missed it?

Tonight's episode must be really funny.
I didn't get an email. :)

What's the etiquette for being overlooked; reveal all on here in one fell swoop, or drip feed your rejected one liners a day at a time on Twitter (I'm new to all this, see)?

Please DON'T post rejects up here as the thread will quickly fill up with one-liners and the other stuff will get lost. I would say go over to Critique and post them there for comments and feedback but I don't think one's been started yet for Series 11. Would some kind soul like to start one up?

The other options to get them out there are:
- Twitter, Friday afternoons are made for distractions like this
- Website / Blog
- Repackage them as one-liners for NewsRevue or Treason and maybe get paid for them!

If you want more information on the last one just ask but there should be some info on them under 'Writers Discussion. Never understood why those were under Discussion not Opportunities but there you go.

Quote: Bonzo @ 2nd October 2014, 8:08 PM BST

I've just seen your name on a tweet from the radio academy!

Ah you did hear my name but alas that isn't me, that is my much more successful and high-profile namesake. Still nice that someone in the extended family is doing well.

What's the etiquette for being overlooked?

Normal procedure is to go &$$__$@$(;#!/...

Not enjoying this series much. The absence of Lewis Macleod is hurting, and Romesh is uncomfortable in sketches. What's more, the choice of sketches is puzzling; why include that one about archive fighter-pilot sexism? Grindingly unfunny and lacking in all originality.

The asked for no puns, but a lot of the one liners are. I don't know what they're looking for at this stage. Jokes about lactose intolerant zebras maybe?

Also surprising is that they're happy to get a laugh from that dead stripper piece. So that's no swearing, no racism, but violence against women is fine.

Quote: Nogget @ 3rd October 2014, 4:05 PM BST

Also surprising is that they're happy to get a laugh from that dead stripper piece. So that's no swearing, no racism, but violence against women is fine.

Did they actually quote the gender of the stripper?

Probably not, let's say "violence against those working in the sex industry" instead.

Just seems like a kind of repressive attitude to take to comedy - especially when what they were playing on was the ridiculous idea of someone being cooked into a cake rather than violence itself

To be clear, I'm not stating my position on the acceptability or otherwise of jokes, I was just surprised that a gag which might well be offensive to some people would be included in a show which tries so hard to be inoffensive.

Quote: Nogget @ 3rd October 2014, 8:31 PM BST

To be clear, I'm not stating my position on the acceptability or otherwise of jokes, I was just surprised that a gag which might well be offensive to some people would be included in a show which tries so hard to be inoffensive.

Looks like I'm in the minority but I liked both the Bake Off and the fighter pilot sketches. Where it fell flat for me was the one liners, the audience seemed a bit disinterested in them, too. Still, not wanting to take away anything from those who got a one liner broadcast, they were better than my attempts this week. I had a stinker.

Subjectivity is what makes comedy great. Or not.

Just the 2 sketches this week, I had an idea for the mini sketch but no time to play around with it.

My 2 sketches were:

Squirrel Burgers
Top Gear

On to the one-liners.... :)