Tell us a joke Page 75

MarcP has no prose
How does he sell.

Maybe take the original out. I don't know. WHat about my jokes here? You do realise you are coming across as a bit of a dork now? :)

Quote: Marc P @ 1st September 2014, 1:51 PM BST

Maybe take the original out. I don't know. WHat about my jokes here? You do realise you are coming across as a bit of a dork now? :)

I think everyone needs to remember that this site is just other people opinions, nothing more, writing joke is not like counting, there's no right and wrong, just personal taste, you can tell this because Michael Macintyre is considered one of the uk most successful comedians but I am yet to laugh at anything he says!

It's better to think of this site more like Dragons Den, if you come up with a good idea that fits into the "Standard Model" of comedy then your humour will fit in and the so call big guns on here will like it but if you try doing something a little different or have an unusual approach you will be told you don't know what your doing and you stink!

if Tim vine posted his jokes on here a lot of them would be put down, if frankie boyle put his stuff on here he'd be told he was old fashioned and not pc, if Jimmy Carr put his stuff on here he would get told he wasn't funny, you get the point!!!!

Very true haha, although some elements of craft are sometimes useful to ping pong about I guess. But the comedy proof is pretty much in the pudding and there is a difference between written, performed and self performed comedy. Good post.

You don't have to trawl back through hundreds of posts Stylee dear boy. Simply back through four or five pages in this very thread. A lot of jokes posted since your original question a day or so ago, jumping into a conversation re his material that Callum S found very helpful. it's not really very hard to see them.As quests go it's not even really equivalent to tying up your shoelaces before heading to the door.

:)

And as for someone who keeps calling me a troll to claim never to make personal attacks... Well it's priceless. Good man!

Maybe you two should have a joke-off. Similar to a rap battle minus the rapping.

Quote: FunyHaHA Not Funy Strange @ 1st September 2014, 2:15 PM BST

I think everyone needs to remember that this site is just other people opinions, nothing more, writing joke is not like counting, there's no right and wrong, just personal taste, you can tell this because Michael Macintyre is considered one of the uk most successful comedians but I am yet to laugh at anything he says!

It's better to think of this site more like Dragons Den, if you come up with a good idea that fits into the "Standard Model" of comedy then your humour will fit in and the so call big guns on here will like it but if you try doing something a little different or have an unusual approach you will be told you don't know what your doing and you stink!

if Tim vine posted his jokes on here a lot of them would be put down, if frankie boyle put his stuff on here he'd be told he was old fashioned and not pc, if Jimmy Carr put his stuff on here he would get told he wasn't funny, you get the point!!!!

Sort of true, but as someone who writes jokes for a living I see an awful lot of people making basic errors on here, things like repeating words in the set up and the punchline, using words which no one would ever say out loud, etc, etc.

If you posted up Tim Vine, Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle jokes I can guarantee they would be tight as a drum, every word would have a purpose and there would be an identifiable funny idea central to the gag.

I guess the other thing is that a lot of people on here write jokes for their own amusement and to post online rather than to deliver in front of a potentially hostile audience.

That's true as well Tony although of course some people also subvert expectation for comedic effect. But like I said before and you are saying here - usually you have to work hard to make things appear simple. Time and experience helps of course.

Hi Mark P, thank you and you are correct about that as well, putting ideas up and getting help is very useful and I still use the "revised versions" of the jokes I put on here a good few months back as the results were better.
I think the Dragons Den idea was a good analogy for those few of us that still watch it, in the sense that no matter how good or bad an idea, you won't get investment on dragons den unless you have a super secure patton, a letter of intent for 1,000,000 items or you have sold 1,000's already and are doing really well!
Now I wouldn't claim to know more about investment in business than a Dragon and you could argue that they choose the right products to invest in as it clearly works for them, but there are always going to be those that get turn down who are going to go on a make a success.
I could go on but I've noticed my post seem a lot longer then anyone else's! maybe I need to learn to "Trim" more! lol
So to sum it up I'd say, yes there is good advice from people who know, yes it can be helpful, like your school teacher teaching you how to paint in art class, but also remember that real talent come from inside, if your doing stand up its the way you talk normally that determines how you write the joke. and its going out there and practicing, sometime dying on your arse for no reason, but gaining confidence and doing it again.
My granddad told me "The best advice I can give you boy, is don't listen to anyone else's advice"
But now I'm conflicted, because if I Listen to his advice, I'll be ignoring his advice!

Cheers mr funny, I think the answer there is if you are seeking advice on a piece, as in critique for example, then you probably have a niggle that it could be better but are sometimes a bit too close to it to see how. No sense in taking all advice willy nilly of course. But if a few people are saying the same kind of thing it's worth looking at a little at what they say if only by seeing sometimes how they are wrong can help you to make your piece righter lol. The best advice of all helps you to tackle stuff in your own way of course not just cookie cutter templates. Hopefully these forums can do that sometimes. For some it's a hobby for some it's a job but for a lot here it is a serious hobby that they hope to take to the next level.

A man walks into an opticians.

Ps Granny knows best anyway :)

Knock knock
Who's there
Who
What are the WHO doing over there shouldn't they be fighting Ebola in Liberia.

Did ya hearrr about thee man who laughed his ballocks off?

Ha Ha, Plop Plop.

No, but the best joke ever was a page I recently discovered about a Parokeet entertainer with more that 75,000 likes and I commented asking, "I hope yer parot don't get aviary disease. That would make a pretty crap entertainment page." And all the old grandma's that comments saying, " That was a confusing post. It started out sounding insulting, got weird in the middle, and ended with a compliment. I guess you're new to the page, but FYI, it's family-friendly here, so please curb the coarse language. Also, if you think it's a "cute page", then why did you ask what Disco the Parokeet does? Did you actually look at the page at all? There are about a thousand posts a month referring to his amazing vocabulary, and hundreds of YouTube videos (most are linked here) demonstrating it."

Next comment, "What if Disco played dead but never woke up? We could call the page The Sleeping Disco...."

I can be a real thorn in me own side mate. Luckily, I'm married to Holly Bush (Marc P, :D)

I was going to tell a mean joke
Turns out it was just average.

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd September 2014, 12:16 AM BST

I was going to tell a mean joke
Turns out it was just average.

you do the math!

can't take it away from you for trying!

the sum of the hupootanuse is equal to the two other drunk sides a just drew!

Why do they call you biscuit bollocks?

Cos I've got ginger nuts.