Tell us a joke Page 70

Everyone has to keep up with latest trends nowadays. Didn't used to be the case. My granddad jumped on a bandwagon once and got the shit kicked out of him by the trombone player!

Booyah

That's pretty much perfect Notorious.

It's a mini story, sets up the premise and suddenly twists it.

Here's another thoughts (by the way, I'm not suggesting that any of these are, or will lead to comedy gold jokes);

"Jump on the bandwagon", right, for some reason that put the idea of a trampoline on a tour bus into my head, so we could do something along the lines of...

"I was never one to jump on the bandwagon, although when I was a roadie for Metallica and they put a trampoline on the tour bus..."

Now, looking at this and saying it out loud I think there might be something in this for a couple of reasons, 1) jumping on a trampoline is quite an amusing image, especially in an incongruous situation and 2) "put a trampoline on their tour bus" is quite a nice phrase to say, the combination of plosive consonants (PuT a Trampoline on the Tour Bus) is quite pleasurable to say and hear.

(It's also worth pointing out that in typing this out I've already edited "they fitted a trampoline to their tour bus" to "they put a trampoline on the tour bus" because in my head it's shorter, punchier and sounds more natural)

Quote: sootyj @ 27th August 2014, 3:46 PM BST

Booyah

That's pretty much perfect Notorious.

It's a mini story, sets up the premise and suddenly twists it.

:$

Quote: Marc P @ 27th August 2014, 3:44 PM BST

Everyone has to keep up with latest trends nowadays. Didn't used to be the case. My granddad jumped on a bandwagon once and got the shit kicked out of him by the trombone player!

Nice, although I not even sure it needs the first bit.

"My granddad jumped on a bandwagon once... got the shit kicked out of him by the trombone player!"

Which would work beautifully as an additional line after another joke about following trends or similar.

It's about rhythm and poise and performance Tony. Left cross right cross. Bam ;)

Thanks for everyones tips. I literally decided to see if I could so stand up about a week ago so am slowly learning.

3 quick questions..

1) Do any of you do stand up?
2) If you do, did you attend a comedy workshop in the beginning or are they not worth it?
3) How long does it usually take for you to feel happy with a joke?

Yes, yes and IMHO yes they are worth it (on the proviso that it's a reputable course).

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 27th August 2014, 3:47 PM BST

"I was never one to jump on the bandwagon, although when I was a roadie for Metallica I saw a fair few groupies who did.

Excellent, same basics of the joke but another interpretation of part of the phrase, in this case "jump".

:)

I used to have a pullover with a dog on it - a little a battery moved the tail. The teachers said it wasn't standard uniform and wouldn't let me wear it. Next day, all the kids had one on.

Bloody banned wagging jumpers.

Quote: CallumS @ 27th August 2014, 3:53 PM BST

Thanks for everyones tips. I literally decided to see if I could so stand up about a week ago so am slowly learning.

3 quick questions..

2) If you do, did you attend a comedy workshop in the beginning or are they not worth it?

No. I rarely even see them. All workshops are worth something maybe not always the money. Till you have passed your own test if whether it works or not .

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 27th August 2014, 3:57 PM BST

Excellent, same basics of the joke but another interpretation of part of the phrase, in this case "jump".

:)

Write about what you know they say :D

Quote: CallumS @ 27th August 2014, 3:53 PM BST

3 quick questions..

To expand slightly...

1) Yes, been doing it for just over 10 years now

2) Actually I didn't do a comedy course until I'd been going for a couple of years and had hit a bit of a plateau but it was incredibly useful for a lot of reasons, including but not exclusively, helping me produce more material, improving my confidence, giving me a group of like minded people to share knowledge and experiences with, giving me deadlines to motivate me to write and practice, helping me to network and lots of other things I can't even remember.

The course I was on also featured someone called Josh Widdicombe, I wonder what he's up to nowadays?

3) This varies, I've had jokes which have popped into my head in perfect form, I've got others which 10 years later I'm still wrestling with. In truth it's not even really down to you, it's down to the audience, personally I'm happy with a joke if it makes 99% of audiences laugh in 99% of situations that I tell it.

Quote: gappy @ 27th August 2014, 3:58 PM BST

I used to have a pullover with a dog on it - a little a battery moved the tail. The teachers said it wasn't standard uniform and wouldn't let me wear it. Next day, all the kids had one on.

Bloody banned wagging jumpers.

Wagging and wagon sound too different.

I was looking for a pub in the newforest called the Border Collies Inn or the Golden Retrievers Arms,
So I said to a police officer do you know where the dog inn is.
Unfortunately he did.

Quote: sootyj @ 27th August 2014, 4:08 PM BST

Wagging and wagon sound too different.

I don't think that's the problem with the joke Laughing out loud