Would I Lie To You? Page 22

Is The Rob Brydon Show moving to BBC One Saturday evening?

I don't think so.

It's going to be on BBC Two from 22nd July. Even with different channels I don't think the BBC would want crossover.

The Graham Norton Show is due to start again "in October" after it ends in two weeks' time, which may give some clue, assuming WILTY stays in the Friday 10:35pm slot.

BBC start repeating series 3 in the Friday 10:35pm slot from 22nd July.

Why not just show the new series they have ready to air, then, if there's nothing else to go in that slot? Worried that now when the new episodes finally show up people will think they're still repeats. Bloody schedulers.

This happens every bloody series with this show. Series 2 was the worst, though, for the time between recording and broadcast: recorded Nov/Dec 2007, not put out until the middle of July '08. The BBC tend to treat this show like shit, even though it does pretty well ratings-wise and gets good (if not universally arse-shiningly brilliant) reviews. I don't know; maybe it's a victim of circumstance, but I remember from the Series 5 recordings that there was at least one time-sensitive comment that needed two alternate versions recorded, because no-one knew just how far in the future the show was going to go out this time round... It'll probably edit together well enough, but it doesn't half screw with the mood at the time!

*gets out green biro, begins letter with 'Dear BBC', etc*

It's really not uncommon to have a show recorded so far in advance, Amanda. It's certainly symptomatic of problems within the BBC that the production team didn't have an idea of how soon it would broadcast, but probably that in itself should have indicated to them that it wouldn't be too soon.

I'm unaware of the show being scheduled particularly poorly or having its day/time shifted mid-run, so I don't think it's fair (by any normal measurement) to say that it's treated "like shit".

I'm probably just somewhat incensed because it's a particular favourite, and think it's a bit ridiculous that there are repeats being shown when there could be new episodes put out. For some reason, Series 3 seems to get re-run almost exclusively on the BBC, too, which seems a little weird considering the upcoming DVD release is Series 4 - surely showing 4 again would encourage more people to buy the DVD? That said, it seems to be Channel 4 DVD bringing it out - maybe the Beeb want to confuse potential buyers out of spite :P Isn't the fact the BBC don't want to release the show themselves proof they don't much care about it? (I know this isn't an isolated case...)

Also, there was an episode pulled with about fifteen minutes' warning at one point - I believe to show an international friendly that the BBC weren't going to show, but changed their minds on at the last minute. This episode wasn't aired until three months later. Also, while not having its day or time shifted during the series runs themselves, each series has changed its day of transmission and only got a regular timeslot (albeit on different days) for the last two series. To me, that smacks of "we really can't think of what to do with this show, so we'll just stick it any-old-where in the schedules". It can't be easy juggling stuff around, and I know you can't please everyone, but it does seem a bit like if it's not making the BBC money, it's not particularly looked after.

Yes, I am a tedious nerd, thank you for your concern.

If anything, they're scheduling it well... holding on until the autumn when more people will be watching TV.

(But, yes, frustrating when something is all done, but we don't get to see it for ages)

Quote: Mark @ July 15 2011, 8:25 PM BST

If anything, they're scheduling it well... holding on until the autumn when more people will be watching TV.

(But, yes, frustrating when something is all done, but we don't get to see it for ages)

There I do agree - autumn scheduling is a bit better than the damp squib of summer...

It did really well in the July/August slot last time, though - managed to hold steady with viewers comparable to Ross. I do see the logic in holding it back, though, as it was doing really well towards the end of the run in September (they followed S4 up with S3 repeats which did really, really well).

I suspect another reason it's being held off is because Mack and Brydon are doing their own shows right now and they want to avoid ubiquity lest the Daily Mail start accusing them of causing cancer or not giving other performers the chance or some rubbish like that. If so, though, I would question the wisdom in putting WILTY repeats on at all.

Amanda, series 3 seems to gets rerun on Dave quite a lot - it's series 4 that's weird, as that should have reached Dave by now but hasn't.

The episode getting pulled sucked, but it was a compilation episode, and that was at a time when Jay Hunt (she of the incompetent scheduling) was in control. I don't think it's fair to say that the BBC don't care about the show - it has just won a British Comedy Award, and IIRC the BBC themselves would have needed to put it forward for that. 4DVD also release Miranda to name but one, which should tell you that DVD labels do not indicate BBC conspiracy theories.

As a panel show nerd and a particularly big fan of this one, I am *starved* for S5 information, though. Bah.

The Graham Norton Show is due back around October and the continuing of WILTY repeats in that slot indicates it will hold that slot when it gets aired. Ho hum...

Quote: Amanda Prefect @ July 15 2011, 8:25 PM BST

That said, it seems to be Channel 4 DVD bringing it out - maybe the Beeb want to confuse potential buyers out of spite :P Isn't the fact the BBC don't want to release the show themselves proof they don't much care about it?

That's not how DVD releases work, and BBC does not equal BBC DVD, so no, 'fraid not. ;)

Quote: Amanda Prefect @ July 15 2011, 8:25 PM BST

Also, while not having its day or time shifted during the series runs themselves, each series has changed its day of transmission and only got a regular timeslot (albeit on different days) for the last two series. To me, that smacks of "we really can't think of what to do with this show, so we'll just stick it any-old-where in the schedules".

To be fair, Would I Lie To You? is clearly just schedule-filling, cheaply-produced pap. It's not like HIGNFY or Mock The Week which can at least claim some other purpose or entertainment through their topicality and satire.

It's also worth pointing out that dozens of shows in the past have switched days and times between series. I research comedies from the 1950s and before, and we're just spoilt with the relative regularity of many shows today. Regularity, I'll ponder, almost enforced because so little comedy is now produced.

I notice that we now have an image for the S4 DVD, which does clearly state 'Series 4'. I suppose this is one panel show where it would make more sense than most to release a complete series.

I do hope there's some form of out-take reel and not just the episodes, mark you.

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2011, 9:43 PM BST

That's not how DVD releases work, and BBC does not equal BBC DVD, so no, 'fraid not. ;)

I thought the :P was the poster indicating she wasn't being entirely serious.

To be fair, Would I Lie To You? is clearly just schedule-filling, cheaply-produced pap. It's not like HIGNFY or Mock The Week which can at least claim some other purpose or entertainment through their topicality and satire.

Sorry? What's Mock the Week if it isn't schedule filling pap? It has the topicality but it's nothing more than a panel show, and latterly not a particularly funny one. I've attended two MtW recordings and despite being first in the queue it was made clear to me I was very lucky to get in. Once the recording started, it was obvious why I was so lucky, and obvious why it keeps getting recomissioned. The audience almost entirely consists of production staff and guests who will no doubt laugh, woop, cheer and applaud like crazy, seeing that's their jobs their watching.

Ooh, first post! At least I wasn't being controversial.

Quote: Custard Socks @ July 15 2011, 10:44 PM BST

I thought the :P was the poster indicating she wasn't being entirely serious.

I thought the ;) was me indicating acknowledgement that your friend wasn't being entirely serious.

Quote: Custard Socks @ July 15 2011, 10:44 PM BST

Sorry? What's Mock the Week if it isn't schedule filling pap? It has the topicality but it's nothing more than a panel show, and latterly not a particularly funny one.

MTW perhaps wasn't the best example, but it's still weightier pap than Would I Lie To You?.

To be fair, Would I Lie To You? is clearly just schedule-filling, cheaply-produced pap.

I'd disagree with the 'pap' word. Whatever the budget and whatever the reason for commissioning it (it is true it can neatly fit the schedule whenever they want), it's often very funny indeed. Kevin Bridges and his horse story was absolutely hilarious - still laughing about that now a year later.