Would I Lie To You? Page 23

Quote: Aaron @ July 15 2011, 11:27 PM BST

MTW perhaps wasn't the best example, but it's still weightier pap than Would I Lie To You?.

I wonder if piss poor satire really weighs more in the scales of quality than smart entertainment?

It weighs higher in the "we really should put this topical show out while it is still topical" scales. If it's better or not, it's kind of irrelevant - you loose alot of the comedy of MTW if you delay it, while WILTY is pretty much news-free. Seems pretty clear to me why one is bumped around the schedules and the other isn't.

Quote: Mark @ July 16 2011, 12:16 PM BST

I'd disagree with the 'pap' word. Whatever the budget and whatever the reason for commissioning it (it is true it can neatly fit the schedule whenever they want), it's often very funny indeed.

It can certainly be very funny. No denying that!

The fact that "My Funniest Joke" is being scheduled after the WILTY repeats suggests to me that WILTY might begin (taking over the repeats) before MFJ is over. Just a theory.

4DVD have just confirmed to me that the DVD is the complete Series 4.

Thanks for the confirmation. Won't pick that up unless there's some form of special features, then.

Can somebody get a confirmation of the specifications on the DVD if possible? Everywhere I've seen says 3 hours 16 minutes, but that would at best account for 7-and-a-bit episodes. They also says 1 disc, which is highly unlikely to be the case. A bit odd that we don't know the specifics two weeks from the release date.

Apologies for the triple-post, but David has tweeted that Series 5 airs from 9 September.

Finally!

All confirmed now - it'll be at 9:30pm, directly after Outnumbered (and later HIGNFY). It'll probably get its highest ever ratings.

Hurrah!
Can't wait.

Does anyone know the process of how the show finds out the truths? I often think that something is too odd or personal for someone to notice it for themselves

Quote: AJGO @ August 23 2011, 8:27 PM BST

Does anyone know the process of how the show finds out the truths? I often think that something is too odd or personal for someone to notice it for themselves

I presume the 'researchers' credited at the end come into this. Somebody I know who went to a recording mentioned that at one point Lee Mack mentioned the researchers going round to the panellists' houses to find out truths.

Some of the truths are things you can see how they found out though - the thing about Charlie Brooker being deaf in one ear was mentioned on an episode of 8 Out Of 10 Cats, and a lot of comedian guests have stories sourced from their own stand-up acts.

Quote: cwickham @ August 23 2011, 8:36 PM BST

I presume the 'researchers' credited at the end come into this. Somebody I know who went to a recording mentioned that at one point Lee Mack mentioned the researchers going round to the panellists' houses to find out truths.

Some of the truths are things you can see how they found out though - the thing about Charlie Brooker being deaf in one ear was mentioned on an episode of 8 Out Of 10 Cats, and a lot of comedian guests have stories sourced from their own stand-up acts.

True, thanks for pointing those out. I was especially thinking of David Mitchell's dressing gown! Would you even think about it to bring it up if it was you? Or do researchers go and point at everything in their houses? They would have to be pretty trusted not to just go to a tabloid with anything they found (not that I'm suggesting anything dodgy to do with any contestants!)

I presume anyone who agrees to take part in this show wouldn't have done so if they had anything suspicious that might potentially be unearthed as a result of being researched. "WORLD EXCLUSIVE: LEE MACK HAS ONE LEG LONGER THAN THE OTHER" or "KEELEY HAWES PRETENDED TO HER HUSBAND SHE COULD PLAY TENNIS WHEN THEY WERE FIRST GOING OUT" are hardly front-page scoops.

Because they need a good long backlog of truths for the regulars to keep the show going, I guess they might scrutinise Lee, Rob and David more than the guests. Stuff like the saying at Lee's old school or David being the British ambassador to the European Youth Parliament are things perhaps more difficult to find out than the truths about the guests.