Would I Lie To You? Page 20

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2011, 4:12 PM BST

The trouble is that with other panel shows, say Have I Got News For You or QI, you just have to know a bit, or to have looked at the paper for a few days before your appearance, but with Would I Lie To You?, the guest actually has to be in some way inventive, or at least charismatic - which, evidently, as you point out, doesn't come easily to some.

So I'd say your ending point really shows that WILTY? is not, actually, a 'great format' at all - at least not without being far pickier in their guest booking.

Fair points, Aaron. Fair points.

Quote: Lady Laughter @ April 22 2011, 4:17 PM BST

That's vert nit picky, Aaron.

When discussing a show's format, it's not "nit picky" to point out said format's flaws.

Quote: Aaron @ April 22 2011, 4:22 PM BST

When discussing a show's format, it's not "nit picky" to point out said format's flaws.

It is if the flaw depends on having bad guests.

My point was that every single panel show has that exact same 'flaw'. They work because the people who make them know what they are doing.

As such, I would re assert that WILTY is not a flawed format, as you suggest. Your argument is invalid as it could apply to every panel show ever made.

I'm getting tired of (1) the host sticking his bib in; and (2) Lee Mack's sexist stuff followed immediately by his look of wide-eyed innocence.

Is Lee Mack sexist? Oh, you mean his jokes.

To be honest, Brydon's weird self-promoting sort of schtick makes me embarrassed for him. I know it's an act or whatever, but it's so godawful.

And for whomever it is that will that I just cringe easily, I do enjoy shows like Peep Show.

The guest list for the forthcoming series looked pretty good until I saw they'd made the inexplicable decision to book Jack Whitehall again. WHY, celebrity guest booker for WILTY, WHY.

Quote: cwickham @ April 27 2011, 8:25 PM BST

The guest list for the forthcoming series looked pretty good until I saw they'd made the inexplicable decision to book Jack Whitehall again. WHY, celebrity guest booker for WILTY, WHY.

Because, despite Whitehall's limited comedic abilities, his Daddy was in the biz and therefore he is most likely represented by a fairly influential and insistent agent.

"No, Mr Cohen, I expect you to book him for a whole series of Live At The Apollo"

That's probably the best review he's ever had. Or at least it should be.

Quote: Dave @ August 31 2010, 10:19 PM BST

Rufus Hound was very quiet.

Wasn't his piece in the first round edited out? Inevitably some material ends up on the cutting room floor.

Is the list of guests up anywhere yet? I agree that Jack Whitehall is about as funny as discovering a lump on your testicles.

Quote: Timbo @ April 28 2011, 11:30 AM BST

Is the list of guests up anywhere yet? I agree that Jack Whitehall is about as funny as discovering a lump on your testicles.

He's so bloody lah-dee-da I can barely register his voice. All I can do is see his smug face and hair. Which is bad enough.

Quote: Timbo @ April 28 2011, 11:30 AM BST

Courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Would_I_Lie_to_You%3F_episodes#Series_5

Quote: cwickham @ April 28 2011, 11:44 AM BST

Courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Would_I_Lie_to_You%3F_episodes#Series_5

Interesting, does not rely too much on panel game regulars, there is a good ad-mix of showbiz veterans, up-and-comers and not too annoying celebs.

Quote: Lady Laughter @ April 23 2011, 12:06 PM BST

It is if the flaw depends on having bad guests.

My point was that every single panel show has that exact same 'flaw'. They work because the people who make them know what they are doing.

As such, I would re assert that WILTY is not a flawed format, as you suggest. Your argument is invalid as it could apply to every panel show ever made.

No.

All panel and guest-based programmes are dependent on the quality of their guests. But the extent to which they are susceptible varies: Would I Lie To You? is entirely at the guests' mercy, as it is so dependent on them to work. Other shows have the backdrop of, say, current affairs, or the absurdity of celebrity, the excesses of the music industry, etc, from which to derive humour if individual guests are somewhat wooden. Some of the best episodes of Never Mind The Buzzcocks, for example, have featured guests who made Michelangelo's David look articulate, because there is more to the show than their presence.

WILTY? is far more at the guests' mercy than any other panel or guest-based show I can think of.