Miranda - Series 2 Page 6

Alfred I presume you are writing some comedy yourself. Did these feelings start when you started analysing the comedy you are watching. You do seem a bit conflicted. There's not much purer sitcom than Miranda to be honest, that is unashamedly what it is. It may not be true to everyone's taste but there is no doubt here about the form.

While it is undeniably funnier than many sitcoms I see it as a hash up to fit a star, rather than a wholly inspired creation. It looks pieced together and a bit opportunistic and lacks an authentic looking soul, to me.

Yes I am analytical when watching sitcoms, which isn't ideal when trying just to enjoy them, I agree.

This so-called sit-com is so predictable.
Trailer for episode two has Miranda wishing the ground in a grave yard would swallow her up - and what happens? She falls in a hole. Hilarity ensues!!!
Why was this programme ever made?
I was waiting for Basil Brush to appear, as this programme belongs on CBBC.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ November 18 2010, 11:03 AM GMT

Why was this programme ever made?

I know this one! Was it for millions of people to watch, and a few to moan about?

...and it was cheap to make, introduced a new star, and adds to the 'must make more shows for women' catalogue. Has ticked a lot of boxes for the Beeb, this one. The fact it is funny is a lucky bonus.

See part b of my post. ;)

Quote: zooo @ November 18 2010, 11:12 AM GMT

I know this one! Was it for millions of people to watch, and a few to moan about?

What a ridiculous waste of money! It's not up to the BBC to make cheap, populist programmes that people enjoy and laugh at, what were they thinking?

Surely they should be spunking the licence fee on laugh-free pseudo comedy featuring star names (e.g. "Val and Roger tediously do nothing for 28 minutes" or "Steve and Rob manage to persuade us to make a showreel for them to show off all their impressions and party pieces whilst eating in expensive restaurants at the licence fee payers expense")

:D

Laughing out loud

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 18 2010, 11:25 AM GMT

introduced a new star

Miranda Hart's hardly a new star. She's been around a while, both on TV and radio.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 18 2010, 11:25 AM GMT

adds to the 'must make more shows for women' catalogue

Is it a show for women? Feels pretty universal to me.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 18 2010, 11:39 AM GMT

"Steve and Rob manage to persuade us to make a showreel for them to show off all their impressions and party pieces whilst eating in expensive restaurants at the licence fee payers expense"

You were wrong when you made this point in the The Trip thread and you're still wrong.

At the end of T'ay it managed to pull in millions for a channel that hardly gets above 2 million for much of its output. Hardly surprising that they asked for another series after it was getting 2.5 - 3 million viewers and actually increased its figures for all but one week of its run. Most new shows tend to drop off after the first episode. I'd expect a 3rd series if the ratings hold up, especially as the first episode of series 2 rated higher than most of the episodes from series 1.

Beats the bore fest that was Roger & Val to a cockolate pulp.

Just watched this on iPlayer.

A delight. :)

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 18 2010, 11:39 AM GMT

Surely they should be spunking the licence fee on laugh-free pseudo comedy featuring star names (e.g. "Val and Roger tediously do nothing for 28 minutes" or "Steve and Rob manage to persuade us to make a showreel for them to show off all their impressions and party pieces whilst eating in expensive restaurants at the licence fee payers expense")

Am I in a BCG minority of one in being underwhelmed equally by all three?

Quote: Timbo @ November 21 2010, 10:14 PM GMT

Am I in a BCG minority of one in being underwhelmed equally by all three?

Goodness knows Tim do your own research. And a BCG rating, yeah that means a lot! :)

I actually thought the first episode of series 2 was quite good. I'm still not a fan, but have felt myself warming a bit towards it. I really don't like the Heather Small impersonations, mostly because I do a pretty good version myself and had intended on shoe-horning it in on my sit-com. Damn! Who's next... Belinda Carlyle?