Miranda - Series 2 Page 2

I think I will give it a go. Only saw one episode of the first series but was quite impressed.

Miranda looks like she's eaten a few courses since we last saw her.

My guess would be: Augusta and St Andrews.

:D

It's strange that Miranda gets rave reviews for a show in which a woman's clothes regularly get snagged by something, causing them to fall off and leave her standing in only her underwear - yet Benny Hill got cancelled for exactly the same kind of humour...

As David St Hubbins once said, "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever...".

Quote: don rushmore @ November 15 2010, 4:57 PM GMT

Miranda looks like she's eaten a few courses since we last saw her.

My guess would be: Augusta and St Andrews.

She's thinner actually, but don't let facts get in the way of a hilarious fat joke...

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2010, 5:03 PM GMT

She's thinner actually, but don't let facts get in the way of a hilarious fat joke...

To be fair, she doesn't look thinner in the trailers I've seen. Not that it should be an issue either way, of course. On a related point, why is considered fine and dandy to make jokes at the expense of fat men, but not fat women?

*stirs*

It's not, is it?

I think you'll find it is! Examples include Keith in The Office and the old Endfield shows regular appearances of Fat Bloke ("Nice bloke. Nice and fat."), to name but two...

And as Miranda trades a lot on her own appearance to get laughs in her show, it's a bit rich to complain about fat jokes at her expense, isn't it?

Hm. I think her jokes are more that she is 'manly' and clumsy and unfeminine, rather than fat.

I don't think there's any reason to be mean and bitchy about nice people, that's all.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2010, 5:12 PM GMT

I don't think there's any reason to be mean and bitchy about nice people, that's all.

I agree. However, I just think double standards are applied in this area.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 15 2010, 5:10 PM GMT

And as Miranda trades a lot on her own appearance to get laughs in her show, it's a bit rich to complain about fat jokes at her expense, isn't it?

It's a bit different making the jokes about yourself, though, isn't it?

Quote: Nat Wicks @ November 15 2010, 7:14 PM GMT

It's a bit different making the jokes about yourself, though, isn't it?

Yes, but can one use one's weight deliberately for comic effect and then be too precious about others doing so? (And I take the earlier point that Miranda, in general, is more often sending-up her own awkwardness and lack of grace). Take James Corden, who basically wrote half a sketch series based on his body mass index, but then became obviously hurt when Patrick Stewart (admittedly being a twat) makes a jibe about his weight.

My more general point is that "fattist" jokes are hard to universally condemn when fat comedians mine material from the issue themselves. Some of us will remember how, back in the 70s, black comics used to tell racist jokes at their own expense. If fat comics stopped making fat jokes then maybe there'd be some progress in recognising that personal jibes about someone's weight are a fairly nasty kind of humour.

But, say you heard a woman at work make a fat joke about herself, you surely wouldn't then go ahead and make your own fat jokes at her expense from then on though?

Not saying the two situations are similar, I just want to know what you're like at work.

I'd like to think I'd never make a joke about a colleague's personal appearance, either to their face or behind their back.

Patients on the other hand... Whistling nnocently

A gag making fun of someone you know personally, I'm afraid, will always be different to a more general gag on personal appearance about someone you don't know, i.e. someone on the telly (e.g. Don's joke).