Gavin & Stacey Page 52

Finally watched last week's episode.

Wasn't one of my top episodes, but still pretty funny. Especially with the P ring! haha

NSFW: http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7686/staceyandbryn3.jpg

Bryn hears about Gavin's low sperm count and immediately springs into action

STACEY: "It's ever so good of you to help me and Gav out like this, Uncle Bryn"

BRYN: "Think nothing of it. Gavin's sperms may be a little on the lazy side - 'scrotum potatoes' if you will - but I assure you each one of mine is a cross between Sylvester Stallone and Duncan Goodhew"

Laughing out loud

Thought last night's was lame again. The predictable Essex to Wales or Wales to Essex trips are the only thing that keep the show going.

Tried it to see if it has improved for the special but...I just don't like many of the characters, especially the main two - it seems a pretty crucial element to create characters who stand out, even if they're not nice characters - and neither Gavin or Stacey have big enough personalities. Is this why they have to pack the show with bigger side characters? It does seem like an odd way of doing things to me.

By Gavin and Stacey standards this was a good episode. There were a few laughs in it and in the inclusion of 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' won me over though I think this is more to do with my obsession for this song rather than any quality in Corden and Jones's writing.

Of all the character I think Smithy is the only one who seems totally authentic. The rest seem to have been based on a mixture of characters previosuly played by the cast. I agree totally that Gavin and Stacey don't have big personalities. The truth is is that it isn't really about them and they do have to be pretty normal for the quirkiness of the other characters to come through but I think they could make them slightly less bland.

I did see this and although I don't hate the show, I normally don't watch it. I was surprised by the lack of funniness, but thought Alison Steadman had some good lines.

The infertility storyline didn't seem to make much sense; seems like they didn't do their research.

Watched it, loved it. Bryn offering to put lotion on Mick was a particular highlight. Great stuff.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

Is that strictly allowed? Surely whatever the juicy profit margins related to DVD sales, as the programme is paid for by the licence fee, I thought the show had to be broadcast free-to-air prior to any profiteering from the BBC's commercial arm? Or have I just made this principle up in order to justify my own prejudices? Errr

It was perhaps a 'best practice' type thing, but as this is far from the first time it's happened, I doubt it's a principle in the way Labour would understand the word.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 1:48 PM GMT

Oh well, I suppose more fool them who buy the DVD before having seen the series and found out if it's worth watching in the first place. It's only idiots' money, after all. However, I'm still not comfortable with the BBC doing this. Probably based on the fact that it gives people who can afford to buy the DVD an unfair advantage over other licence fee payers.

(Similarly, I don't think it's quite fair that the BBC gives "red button" people a chance to see the next episode of a show before those without this option. Must be one of the last "lefty" elements in my character, but it smacks of some form of unfairness which the BBC shouldn't be engaging in.)

I genuinely don't understand this attitude. As long as it does get aired, and within a reasonable time period after the release of a DVD, I don't see what the fuss is. The idea that people love a show enough to be eagerly awaiting the next episode but not have enough money to buy the DVD is a fallacy IMO. People just go out and buy if they want to. There's probably not that level of mental reasoning with people who buy a DVD straight away (as you say, idiots' money.)

Friends always used to be available to rent before it came on TV. I used to watch the whole new series in one go back when I was about 17. (and then still watch it on TV each week).

I liked this week's Gavin and Stacey. Actually it made me quite fancy a holiday in Wales. :/

Witchcraft, I tell you.

I'm literally having to hold my tongue at the moment. And slapping my straying hands, which want to type stuff about this series... Whistling nnocently

I'm glad that people are still enjoying it though... Errr

Type it in invisible ink.

Quote: zooo @ December 26 2009, 2:45 PM GMT

Type it in invisible ink.

:D

But then certain producers would only have to rub lemon juice over their monitors and the game would be up... :(

Aw.
You need a nice new notebook.

'Dear diary...'

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 13 2009, 3:12 PM GMT

I will have a go...which of the three series would you recommend as funniest?
tks. LK

There isn't a "funniest" series really, and it's very linear. It'll make little-to-no sense if you don't start with series 1.