Gavin & Stacey Page 47

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 7 2009, 1:15 PM GMT

For those of you who simply can't wait, the third series DVD is out today.

Even though it's only two eps in.

Kerching!

Is that strictly allowed? Surely whatever the juicy profit margins related to DVD sales, as the programme is paid for by the licence fee, I thought the show had to be broadcast free-to-air prior to any profiteering from the BBC's commercial arm? Or have I just made this principle up in order to justify my own prejudices? Errr

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

Is that strictly allowed? Surely whatever the juicy profit margins related to DVD sales, as the programme is paid for by the licence fee, I thought the show had to be broadcast free-to-air prior to any profiteering from the BBC's commercial arm? Or have I just made this principle up in order to justify my own prejudices? Errr

Dunno, but they did it with series 2 of Armstrong and Miller as well.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 1:36 PM GMT

Is that strictly allowed?

I'm pretty sure it's been done with other shows before, but I can't remember which ones. So that's useful. Does seem a bit bad though.

Oh well, I suppose more fool them who buy the DVD before having seen the series and found out if it's worth watching in the first place. It's only idiots' money, after all. However, I'm still not comfortable with the BBC doing this. Probably based on the fact that it gives people who can afford to buy the DVD an unfair advantage over other licence fee payers.

(Similarly, I don't think it's quite fair that the BBC gives "red button" people a chance to see the next episode of a show before those without this option. Must be one of the last "lefty" elements in my character, but it smacks of some form of unfairness which the BBC shouldn't be engaging in.)

I've never been an avid fan of G&S but enjoyed watching the odd episode, so was keen to see what this third series would be like now it seems to have picked up a mainstream audience and it's been so-so, Uncle Bryn is still generally the best thing in it.

However, one question, when did Nessa become such a nasty, unlikable character? I know that she always had a dark side but I always found her quite a sympathetic character, however in this series she seems to have turned into an absolute c**t!

Her treatment of Dave, Neil the baby, the old sweary woman, her dad, Gavin's dad, etc, has been really nasty and without any element of humour, why the complete change in her character? Is it supposed to be some reflection of her attitude to becoming a mother

Isn't it supposed to be because she wants Smithy but won't admit it?
But I do think it's funny sometimes, like when she was taking the Indian orders and hung up abruptly on Gavin's dad.

Quote: Moonstone @ December 7 2009, 4:08 PM GMT

Isn't it supposed to be because she wants Smithy but won't admit it?
But I do think it's funny sometimes, like when she was taking the Indian orders and hung up abruptly on Gavin's dad.

You see that just really annoyed me, mainly because I think out of all the characters Gavin's dad is probably the nicest, most sympathetic one and I thought it was insufferably rude and not at all funny (I realise that this makes me sound really old fashioned).

I guess you are right about the whole longing for Smithy thing, she's clearly unhappy with Dave and seems to be lashing out.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 7 2009, 4:10 PM GMT

You see that just really annoyed me, mainly because I think out of all the characters Gavin's dad is probably the nicest, most sympathetic one and I thought it was insufferably rude and not at all funny (I realise that this makes me sound really old fashioned).

I can see what you mean, and I agree insofar as it doesn't work all the time, and it is a little strange that no-one ever pulls her up on it.

Maybe she's been watching EastEnders, he's horrible in that.

Quote: zooo @ December 7 2009, 4:15 PM GMT

Maybe she's been watching EastEnders, he's horrible in that.

That's it! She can't forgive him for what he did to Peggy.

What's going on here, have we all suddenly become residents of an old people's home? Errr

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 4:21 PM GMT

What's going on here, have we all suddenly become residents of an old people's home? Errr

Eh?

Quote: Moonstone @ December 7 2009, 4:30 PM GMT

Eh?

Getting shows/characters/actors confused or mixed-up. Please try to keep up, Ian, else I'll have to up your Sanatogen. ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 7 2009, 4:31 PM GMT

Getting shows/characters/actors confused or mixed-up. Please try to keep up, Ian, else I'll have to up your Sanatogen. ;)

Well it's their fault for using the same people everywhere. Unimpressed By eck it's parky, where's me blanket?

Saw the most recent episode last night, and I still think it's great, Bryn is amazing.

I thought the Indian ordering was great... agree about the point about Nessa hanging up on Gavin's Dad but it was funny.

I loved Smithy and his sister's rendition of Black Eyed Peas. Very funny.