Gavin & Stacey Page 46

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 28 2009, 11:04 PM GMT

Yeah, alright jim, from someone who can't even be arsed to capitalise their own name...

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

:|

That wasn't half bad. It's not an amazing show but it makes me laugh and keeps my attention, so it's doing its job, if not selling DVDs. Glad to see it back.

Well, that was tidy! Actually I'm taking the piss, I didn't watch it. G & S is my Two Pints, but like Walker with that show I am morbidly interested in following its progress. What do people think of the show's producers telling the press it will be the final series? Advance attempt to curb criticism? Prepare people for the sense of loss? Prime people for a spin-off show (most likely in my view). It could be called 'Smithy & Nessa' and be mostly about two other characters - perhaps Gavin and Stacey.

Well, as before, still as good as it was. If you didn't like it before, you're not going to like it now as it's all the same in tone.

I did enjoy the first episode a lot. Thought it was very funny in places and it's 'nice' comedy.

The Dora/Ness battle was/is the funniest bit though. I do like that someone can't stand Nessa, as everyone else seems to (inexplicably) love her, as well as her not getting on with someone, as she seems to (inexplicably) get on with everyone!

Dan

Watched the second episode last night. Gavin & Stacey remains The Emperor's New Clothes. A happy, enthusiastically performed show written by two people who can't write.

It's stock-in-trade appears to be verisimilitude - ie 'this is how it is' - social and ethnic quirks and tropes in an accessible modern setting. It doesn't matter whether it's funny or not because this is what people actually say. Well, good writing never was that. And you can get across everything you want to say about how families eat take-away curry in less time and with more humour if you can write.

And am I alone in finding the references to real people tasteless? Fred West, Peter Sutcliffe, John Nettles, John Prescott etc. No doubt the living and non-medicated members of this line-up are pleased to be name-checked in the most popular TV comedy but the motivation behind it remains cheap and unfunny.

You are a glutton for punishment Godot. You dislike the show a lot, but you're still, three series in, sitting down to watch the odd episode? Don't do it to yourself!

I have to watch it Matt. It's not about my enjoyment! G & S was described as 'the gold standard of British Comedy' on the BBC Commissioning website last year and is still name-checked on it. It receives masses of pre-publicity (unlike Big Top) and is extremely popular. It needs to be understood.

I liked the first series.

By the second series the fame had gone to James Corden's head and he started acting up a bit. He's too OTT. I watched it on and off as I lost the will to live.

Didn't watch the first episode of the 3rd series, caught the second and liked it apart from when Corden was on screen.

They could do with killing him off after being ran over by an ice cream van. Then it would be more watchable :)

I've steered clear since about half-way through series one, which I gave the benefit of the doubt because I quite enjoyed the first one/pilot/thingy.

Accidentely caught this most recent episode and, frankly, it's just not good enough.
As Godot has said you can't just take the 'observational comic' minsdset ( "You know what it's like when,..."), in itself a pretty flogged horse, and turn it into drama.
We saw them order a curry, then eat a curry, then get drunk then smoke some cigarettes then have hangovers.
What's been added?
I think they think they're writing the Royle Family for the chav generation.
They're not.
What they are is very lucky to be still getting away with this.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 4 2009, 2:48 PM GMT

It doesn't matter whether it's funny or not because this is what people actually say.

And in which comedies did that terrible trend begin?

Quote: Lazzard @ December 5 2009, 9:49 AM GMT

What they are is very lucky to be still getting away with this.

Agreed. I'm amazed more people can't see it.

Quote: Aaron @ December 5 2009, 12:59 PM GMT

And in which comedies did that terrible trend begin?

I dunno. I can't think of anything that offers such an unfiltered view of what people actually say, except maybe Early Doors, which wasn't very good.

It seems to me that Gavin & Stacy is a hit for 2 reasons. First of all it was initially aired on BBC Three so the critics could feel terribly pleased with themselves when they patronisingly 'discovered' it on behalf of the 'not so media savvy' public. Also because very few people watched it (or SKY+'ed/recorded it) the DVD sales where huge after it's main stars started on heir publicity hungry campaign to make themselves celebrities (rather than actors). (Of course the awards helped this hugely too; which in my opinion were partly because some award jurors thought the show was great and partly as a result of the panic wave of the show being 'the next big thing').

Secondly I think British TV was ready for something with a 'feel good factor'. After several years of negative television, first started with Anne Robinson insulting contestants on The Weakest Link to TV talent shows calling children talentless and making them cry via Gordon Ramsey telling potato peelers to f**kk off; viewers were ready for a large helping of love... or schmaltz.

Does this make G & S a brilliant comedy? Not for me. I'd say it was a gently amusing drama. I thought the Christmas Special was sweet but not funny, can't say I have bothered with series 3; should I give it a go?

Quote: Pete W @ December 7 2009, 12:18 PM GMT

should I give it a go?

Up to you really isn't it?

For those of you who simply can't wait, the third series DVD is out today.

Even though it's only two eps in.

Kerching!