Gavin & Stacey Page 57

Quote: jim field @ January 9 2010, 3:27 PM GMT

The point is, it is irrelevant whether they had a 'good time' making it - if the content is poor then the content is poor - FIN.

She wasn't talking about the show content though, just that they appeared to have fun making it, which is a valid comment regardless of the show's actual quality. Also, not everyone thinks the content is poor - FIN.

Thanks Matt. you explained my point well.

Jim, I enjoyed the out-takes as they obviously enjoyed working together, which made the programme fun to watch.

Rather than trying to pick holes, I try to enjoy comedy. Which is why I enjoy this site.

I'd prefer trying to enjoying it rather than be contentious for the sake of it.

:P

Sorry detractors, but I love it when Corden says 'Gav-lar' and 'Pam-el-la'.

For the most part, 'Gavin and Stacey' was one of the best comedy dramas I've ever seen. It oozed quality from every pore.

The scene at Stacey's family home in which both families suddenly started slagging each other off was, however, the most ridiculous piece of writing I've ever seen.

Still, nobody's perfect, eh?

Quote: JohnnyD @ December 15 2010, 8:31 AM GMT

Really? Oh well...

On the plus side that was your 999th post, Johnny D, so you've not wasted your 1K (yet). ;)

I really tried my hardest to like Gavin & Stacey. And, there were parts that I did. I just can't stomach James Corden enough to get through it all.

It was a show that should have stopped after the two series and Christmas special. The third series was a mistake. By that time Corden had become over-exposed, so that kind of killed it. The first two series were good though.

I remember hearing that they didn't have long at all to do the third series, which explains why it was quite poor.

Plus they released the third series on DVD in time for Christmas, before it had even finished on TV, which proved to me that the third series was more about money, not the legacy of the show.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ December 16 2010, 1:05 PM GMT

Plus they released the third series on DVD in time for Christmas, before it had even finished on TV, which proved to me that the third series was more about money, not the legacy of the show.

When 2entertain decide to release a DVD does not have anything to do with the producers' or writers' motives for originally making the programme.

I think this would have had to have been ok'd by the BBC and writers/producers first though, right? As the show is the property of BBC/Jones/Corden.

Even if I'm wrong on the DVD issue, I firmly believe that money was the driving factor behind series 3, as there was no real need to do it.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ December 16 2010, 1:38 PM GMT

I think this would have had to have been ok'd by the BBC and writers/producers first though, right? As the show is the property of BBC/Jones/Corden.

No. I know a number of writers of popular comedies, past and present, who use this website's own DVD listings to find out if and when their shows are going to be released. They have no say. Producers, I understand, have some weight in putting a show forward to be released, but I cannot imagine for a moment that they would have any particular say in the date of the release.

Ok, fair enough. Although, doesn't change my view of series 3.

Quote: JohnnyD @ December 15 2010, 8:31 AM GMT

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 15 2010, 11:58 PM GMT

Really? Oh well...

Yes, well{-written).

Corden strides into a room, utters a single word and we immediately know his comedy characteristics and how he interacts with people.

Have to say I agree. Gav'la, Pamel'a

Got to have a good catchphrase.

Quote: JohnnyD @ January 16 2011, 11:41 AM GMT

Corden strides into a room, utters a single word and we immediately know his comedy characteristics and how he interacts with people.

That he's a loud, obnoxious, repetitive fat c**t?

Fair play, Johnny, I'll give you that one. :)

Did Ruth Jone base Nessa on Bren's Mum (Julie Walters) in dinnerladies?