Outnumbered - Series 3 Page 4

Yeah that was kind of nice. :)

Quote: chipolata @ April 9 2010, 12:52 PM BST

There's a nicely negative review of this in todays Metro.

Yes one of the most vitriolic reviews I have ever read. And among the most misguided.

Quote: EllieJP @ April 9 2010, 2:32 PM BST

I think I used to be able to relate because they were funny cheeky not rude cheeky. I would never have been allowed to speak so rudely to my parents like that or misbehave like that without getting in huge trouble. So I find it difficult to find it funny.

I do not think the younger children have changed; Ben always was ungovernable and his sister triumphs by unanswerable logic. The older lad is just growing up, and the script reflects that. The scene where he loses his temper is intended to be a tension point and is cosily resolved when his Dad overhears him on the phone.

Like I said Timbo, it's a personal view. The kids behaviour irritated me rather than amused me. It's a shame, because I love Outnumbered. I will of course continue to watch, as I'm sure it was just a one off.

Maybe it was because they were out of the home Ellie and you could imagine that their behaviour would drive you nuts if you were in their vicinity? I get annoyed with kids behaving like Ben, but I can also sympathise that his parents can't always do much about it.

Oh and I've had the child opening the public toilet door, while I'm still on the loo. She's grown out of that now (after a few stern words).

That was one of the best bits. :D

The two funniest bits for me in the Christmas special and this first episode had to do with Karen and toilet doors. This is either a change in my sense of humour or maybe the fact that those two scenes were the only two that have made me laugh out loud in the last 75 mins of this show.

It is still a great show but is just not as funny as it was as far as I am concerned.

Quote: EllieJP @ April 9 2010, 3:29 PM BST

God, poor parents.

Was that being sympathetic or making a statement?

Here's that Metro review: http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/820970-outnumbered-tv-review

I enjoyed this episode but not as much as I've enjoyed it in the past. Not sure if it's the setting; just seems a bit funnier in the house than out and about in the open air -- perhaps it loses something not being confined and claustrophobic?

I did laugh lots but lacked the high-quality sheen of other episodes.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ April 10 2010, 2:38 PM BST

I enjoyed this episode but not as much as I've enjoyed it in the past. Not sure if it's the setting; just seems a bit funnier in the house than out and about in the open air -- perhaps it loses something not being confined and claustrophobic?

I did laugh lots but lacked the high-quality sheen of other episodes.

What Dan said. I felt it picked up a bit towards the end when they were in the house.

As always, we've been collecting up all the press reviews. There's definitely a bit of a backlash brewing, with some negative reviews cropping up: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/outnumbered/press/

The criticism is mainly that the kids are annoying, but I have to say I'm not sure I agree with those negative reviews... I still found the show very funny.

I've a slight guilt trip now though because I probably was that unruly and stress-inducing on days out too.

Quote: Mark @ April 10 2010, 2:54 PM BST

There's definitely a bit of a backlash brewing,

It's still very good, sometimes the seeming lack of story annoys me. Apart from hints about the Dad's parents life, it was just them wandering about, the kids saying funny things. That's probably just my own thing there though, I do love a good, tight story.

Quote: Mark @ April 10 2010, 2:54 PM BST

The criticism is mainly that the kids are annoying, but I have to say I'm not sure I agree with those negative reviews... I still found the show very funny.

I suspect that the sort of people who find the kids in Outnumbered annoying are the sort of people who just find kids annoying.

And let's not forget that they are sitcom characters. Characters in sitcoms are not supposed to be role models, and frequently are very annnoying - it's where the jokes come from. If Ben was a well behaved little angel where would the humour be in that?

Quote: Timbo @ April 10 2010, 4:51 PM BST

I suspect that the sort of people who find the kids in Outnumbered annoying are the sort of people who just find kids annoying.

And let's not forget that they are sitcom characters. Characters in sitcoms are not supposed to be role models, and frequently are very annnoying - it's where the jokes come from. If Ben was a well behaved little angel where would the humour be in that?

Well said.

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ April 10 2010, 5:30 PM BST

Laughing out loud