Comedians people on the BCG hate Page 3

Why has no one mentioned Peter Kay as a hated comedian?

Not only is he totally lazy, having drawn out the same pathetic pub-based observations for nigh on a decade, he's a merchandise whore and is reportedly a right twat, with a hugely arrogant attitude, totally free of any irony.

When comparing a show he will apparently purposely tighten the microphone to make it difficult for the next to loosen it.

As I'm new to these boards, I hope I'm not alone in my hate for him.

Peter Kay's got his faults, certainly, but he's also responsible for That Peter Kay Thing. One of the finest comedies of the last twenty years.

You're not alone in hating Peter Kaye on these boards. Unfortunately, I'm not a Kaye Hater.

In my opinion, That Peter Kaye Thing, Phoenix Nights and Max and Paddy were all very well written and performed. When I first saw his stand up on DVD, it made me laugh out loud several times and his ability to work a crowd is very impressive.

I recently watched a clip of him doing one of his first televised routines on one of those stand up shows they used to do on Paramount Channel, by the end of his set, the audience were genuinely upset that it was over and he was leaving.

His more recent work leaves me a bit cold but his overall body of work - including the various cameos and the bits he's done for Comic Relief - have all been top notch.

As for what he's like off screen, I couldn't tell you. But that's not how I'm judging the comedians I like / dislike.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 24 2010, 11:33 AM GMT

Although not strictly speaking a comedian but someone responsible for a lot of crap comedy - Danny Cohen, controller of BBC Three. The man who thought axing Pulling and letting Coming of Age get recommissioned was a good idea.

I can't go into detail, but your anger is somewhat miguided.

I hate Kaye because, having never seen any of his stuff, I bought his DVDs three years running for my nan's Christmas present, only to find out the c**t was ripping me off.

Quote: Morrace @ January 24 2010, 11:39 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

I always judge someone by their best work not their least (by that standard I'd approve of Hitler for being an ace house painter...)

In his prime Phoenix Nights and the sublime Peter Kaye thing he was unbelievably funny. Funny and clever and humane. In the same sort of way Steptoe or Rising Damp was.

If he wants to spend the rest of his filling his bank account, so what? It's what the Stones do why should it be such a big issue if it's a comic.

Oh and Max and Paddy was ace and a really nice little bit of dramedy more than comedy.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 24 2010, 1:23 PM GMT

I don't dislike McIntyre because he is popular and I dislike him because of his material and the kind of audience he panders too.

Please remember that my observations are based on the strength of material, rather then the 'Who's your least favourite member of Take That?' style of reasoning which usually ensues in this type of discussion.

In fairness I saw her about 10 years ago doing a shitty tent in the Rise festival. She may not be every one's cup of tea but she has worked hard for her place and where as she may not be brilliant she is workman like.

And certainly better than Micheal McIntryre et al.

I hate Micheal McIntyre. I hope he gets mistaken for a tyre and gets inflated with an airpipe up his anus until he explodes.

I hate people who put an "e" on the end of Peter Kay's name for no apparent reason.

;)

I hate people who point that out.

But then I hate you already...you and you're little dog.

Point(s) taken, but I was basing my hatred (which is a strong word I suppose) of Peter Kay purely on the personality and the stand-up.

Agreed that his 'That Peter Kay Thing' and the first season of 'Phoenix Nights' were both pretty good stuff (one of the finest of the last 20 years though? I'd have to take issue with that) - But season two was pretty much more of the same and Max & Paddy was a thin joke stretched a little too far.

Anyone remember Richard Blackwood? Now THERE'S a comedian most worthy of hate. And bile.

Blackwood was to pathetic to truly hate he got my pity. I mean did he really think he was the new Eddie Murphy? He wasn't even the new Step'n'Fetchit.

Quote: Aaron @ January 24 2010, 1:52 PM GMT

I can't go into detail, but your anger is somewhat miguided.

Another secret you keep to yourself?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 24 2010, 11:33 AM GMT

Although not strictly speaking a comedian but someone responsible for a lot of crap comedy - Danny Cohen, controller of BBC Three. The man who thought axing Pulling and letting Coming of Age get recommissioned was a good idea.

In fairness TV channels have a duty to provide stuff that people watch. It would be a scary world where everyone listened to us comedy geeks.

Quote: bigfella @ January 24 2010, 2:23 PM GMT

Another secret you keep to yourself?

Like the fact he secretly loves French people?

Quote: chipolata @ January 24 2010, 2:27 PM GMT

Like the fact he secretly loves French people?

I didn't think that was a secret.