The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 9

My teams drew 1-1 and lost 2-1. Not a great start for either.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ August 10 2009, 12:48 PM BST

Our manager has to go. How he is manager in the first place is beyond me. I'm a season ticket holder and a big fan of Norwich, but I hope we lose the next two or three games just to get rid of Bryan Gunn.

Ah, you had our old partnership- Huckerby and Dublin...

Norwich will sign Huckerby back this November on a free transfer from San Jose.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ August 10 2009, 12:48 PM BST

Our manager has to go. How he is manager in the first place is beyond me. I'm a season ticket holder and a big fan of Norwich, but I hope we lose the next two or three games just to get rid of Bryan Gunn.

Yeah. He had enough games at the end of last season to find out if he was up to it. He wasn't. Should have brought a new manager in the summer so we've wasted that as well. What's worse I was in Colchester on Saturday! Oh cruel fate.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ August 10 2009, 12:55 PM BST

Norwich will sign Huckerby back this November on a free transfer from San Jose.

Great little player really. Well, used to be on fire in the Prem until the defenders figured him out.

Good point for us against West Brom (when we went one down I feared deja-vu, but we showed battle and pretty good performance level for the most part, which is a rare commodity indeed these days). A deserved and satisfactory point indeed. I'd have taken that hands down before the start of the match. We must try and keep Guiterrez, he should do well at this level: he can actually run with the ball, take on and beat players, you shouldn't just disgard those attributes. His only and most irritating acchilies heel is that his final ball must improve, just play a simple pass! He goes for too much at times and his final crosses/balls are either overcooked or woeful, lots of times last season that lack of end product hurt us, plus a lack of support when when the likes of him and Duff made those bursts and ended up around the box, only for hardly anyone to be there with them much of the time. If Guiterrez improves in that regard he'll be a big asset. Up front is a problem, it's difficult to see where enough goals will come from there. Glad to see Carroll get a chance, though the lad could be a promising enough player and being a local lad he's very hungry to play and do well.

Smith played very well I thought (I'm never one to praise the lad, he'll never be a prolific scorer, but if he plays like that he could have a key role to play in the holding-midfield kind of role- his tackling and passing was good and he didn't do the usual rash stuff), I reckon Duff will be our key man this season- he was very sharp on Saturday and a composed finish for the leveller. Props to Krul for pulling off some fine saves. A few customary shakey defensive moments with Enrique and Taylor being the main culprits: one or two heart in mouth moments, but we managed to hold out OK. Overall it was a good performance and a very nice point (not wishing to be pessimistic, but I was dredding this match, I thought it could've turned out very nastily for us. Thankfully not).

Oh and Barton is a corner boy. It's a disgrace he's still at the football club

I didn't see the match or highligts as I was at the Balloon Festival. Thanks for the review, doesn't sound too bad. Now we just need Ashley to f**k off.

My team, Bradford, lost 5-0 to Sven's new boys. The season lasted about 11 minutes (usually it's over at around 15, so early this year!). At the moment, we're holding everyone else in the entire league up.

Dan

Hey, is it true that people who have Virgin's Digital T.V. package are getting free Premiership games, on ESPN, beginning with Everton's home game against Arsenal on Saturday?

Not sure, I'll check it out if I'm around Saturday. I did hear ESPN had snapped up Setanta's premiership matches.

According to this ( http://www.livesportontv.com/football/ ) it is on. Whether it's free or not is another question.

Quote: catskillz @ August 10 2009, 4:53 PM BST

Hey, is it true that people who have Virgin's Digital T.V. package are getting free Premiership games, on ESPN, beginning with Everton's home game against Arsenal on Saturday?

Having got Virgin via cable, I think it's just changed from having the games from Setanta on ESPN. You still (I believe) need to have paid for the sports package subscription in order to see the game.

*checks*

There's a message on the screen that says:

"ESPN is currently free to all customers for the month of August, it then returns to XL. If you would like to XL please call os on......."

I have the minimal package (oo-er). So yes, it's free, but only until the end of August.

Sweet!! Especially as the first game is Everton vs. Arsenal. I think there might be another Everton match at the end of August as well.

Not according to this. http://www.livesportontv.com/football/all-fixtures

Quote: Chappers @ August 10 2009, 12:17 PM BST

Same old Fergie. What a sore loser.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8192532.stm

And that bloody Evra is as bad trying to butt Ballack's elbow.

The goal shouldn't have stood, it's as simple as that. But I doubt it made much difference as Rooney's equaliser probably wouldn't have happened had Chelski not made it 2-1. But he is a moaning and dirty bastard though Mr 'Punchable Face' Ballack. And Evra is the best left back in the world.